Where to Live In Carolinas?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
My husband and I just got married and now are focusing on saving up for house. We'll NEVER be able to afford a house where we live here in MA, so instead of being house-poor and enduring more insane winters, we are planning to move south.... Eventually.... Hopefully next year, but TBD.

We've kind of set our focus on the Carolinas (Charlotte or Spartenburg areas, possibly)...Any TFO members live in/originate from the Carolinas with suggestions or favorite places to live (or not live!)?? I've only been to myrtle beach, so I don't know much about the area, other than its warmer in winter (which will make Dante a happier tortoise!). I'd love to hear from members who are familiar with it!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I'm in Oregon, all I can tell you is don't go swimming where people are fishing for sharks! That's just based on the news I see out here. Sorry, no help?

Ha! I've been thinking the same thing with all the shark attacks in the news lately! Maybe I'll get a pool ;-) Only inflatable sharks there!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Being cost of living seems to be a factor; you may wish to lookup various taxes in the counties you are considering.

In some areas, residents will live in one state, due to lower real estate taxes; but shop across the state line for lower sales taxes.

In NC, there is a wide temperature range depending on how close you are to the coast. If you are thinking of retirement, some magazines publish the best cities for retirement.

Good luck.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Being cost of living seems to be a factor; you may wish to lookup various taxes in the counties you are considering.

In some areas, residents will live in one state, due to lower real estate taxes; but shop across the state line for lower sales taxes.

In NC, there is a wide temperature range depending on how close you are to the coast. If you are thinking of retirement, some magazines publish the best cities for retirement.

Good luck.

Good point! Hadn't considered taxes....I will definitely take a look at those real estate tax rates!

Retirement!! Still gotta have 2.5 kids, adopt about 20 tortoises, probably a couple dogs, and several cats before I hit retirement age ;-)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have property in York county South Carolina near Rock Hill.
For inexpensive and impressive you should check out either Fort Mill S.C or the city of York S.C.
Rock Hill is where I grew up but it's getting rough around the edges.....
Fort Mill is almost on the N.C. S.C border.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I have property in York county South Carolina near Rock Hill.
For inexpensive and impressive you should check out either Fort Mill S.C or the city of York S.C.
Rock Hill is where I grew up but it's getting rough around the edges.....
Fort Mill is almost on the N.C. S.C border.
Thank you! Just the kind of insider info I'm looking for :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What made you settle on the Carolinas instead of somewhere, I don't know, a little further South/west?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
What made you settle on the Carolinas instead of somewhere, I don't know, a little further South/west?
A combination of several reasons, including family and job opportunities. I also love the east coast and have no desire to leave it :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't have a photo of my house in Fort Mill.
Nice neighborhood and schools.
Two story and over 3,000 square ft 3bd 2ba still holding on Zillow at $114,000

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I assume you're looking for small town feel with things close by....
That's what I like about it. That and you can still buy a GIGANTIC house for 125K!

Exactly!! :)

Where I am now, a typical fixer upper (with problems beyond cosmetic changes), small and with a 10x10ft yard, costs 300,000 -400,000! Oi vey -.-

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Oh sure. Now it's the fault of baby sea turtles people are getting attacked by sharks.

Baby sea turtles and menhaden fish have been more plentiful than usual, providing more attraction for the sharks, Burgess said.
The "ever-increasing amount of time spent in the sea by humans, which increases the opportunities for interaction between the two affected parties" could be one reason for the slight uptick in attacks, the Shark Attack File reported.

Baby sea turtles aren't affecting me getting bit or not. Staying inland about 150 miles is helping me.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The hotter the weather, the more people will jump in the ocean to cool off. It's was a hot June!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Survival of the fittest I'm thinking. Soon the Sharks will walk the earth!(visions of 70's SNL come to mind)