Whistling

Adriel Vinson

Location (City and/or State)
Opelika, AL
My 3 year old Hermann’s tortoise has been whistling for months now. He’s not inactive or lethargic. He always eats. But he whistles when he breathes sometimes. Does anyone know what it could be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 3 year old Hermann’s tortoise has been whistling for months now. He’s not inactive or lethargic. He always eats. But he whistles when he breathes sometimes. Does anyone know what it could be?
What are your four temperatures?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I have a 5 year old redfoot that has always whistled when he/she breaths. I attribute it to a birth defect like short nasal passages or something...

Skip K

Virginia
I can only relate my observations with whistling and our redfoots...but whistling with our redfoots comes from a too dry, dusty environment. I can always tell when I need to add moisture in the redfoots indoor enclosure because of an occasional whistle sound. Adding water adds humidity and reduces dust. Keeping up the humidity and keeping the dust down quickly stops the whistling in our redfoots. Personally I think it has more to do with dust from a dry substrate than anything else. When the redfoots are mostly outside in the summer...humid, damp or dry...because their enclosure is mostly grass and never dusty...there is never any whistling. But I routinely check all my torts to make sure the whistling or any other thing that seems out of the ordinary on any of our torts...is not something more serious

Last edited:

Sydgeo21

Ohio
Hi! Just wondering if you figured out what it was?? My three year old hermann just started doing this too??? No signs of an URI or anything. Just a slight whistling every few minutes