White around his scutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
My rt Sheldon is white around his scutes and i think he is either overweight or outgrowing his shell i don't know what to do im a new tortoise owner HELP here's a picture of him

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379172480.910816.jpg sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
i think he is either overweight or outgrowing his shell

LMAO....thank you for that statement....and please don't be offended by my smile on this end.....yes, a tort does somewhat "outgrow" his shell...when this happens his shell will grow and when this happens you will see new growth lines between the scutes....which is exactly what I see in your pic....absolutely normal.

When you take him outside for sun/or if he lives outside--simply offer some gentle spritz of water to his shell to juicy it up some....I bet he would appreciate it (even if he does not know it)...

Beautiful tort by the way...

The spritz should be offered when the weather is hot/warm...and if you are in cool weather at present...then indoor warm water soaks would be beneficial as well..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He could likely benefit from some long warm water soaks....do you offer warm water soaks at present?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's really hard to tell. However, his shell does not look dry. A once or twice a week warm soak is all that's needed for him, with a shallow water bowl available to him 24/7.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, you can spray his food with water before you offer it to him..this will get him to take it in while eating...

Status
Not open for further replies.