Why is Bella doing this!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
She is digging herself in so deep all you can see is the very top curve of her back, as if she is starting to hibernate. It's HOT here, She has plenty of shaded space, the below area is completely shaded now with butterfly bushes and I spray down her grass every morning for humidity, however, we will be in triple digits the end of the week so I will probably have to do it twice a day. The area near the corner also has a large wooden curved piece of wood she crawls in...this is a little older pick...it's all grass covered now

enclosure1.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You are asking why your Russian is digging into the ground, under this rock on a hot day, correct??

Because it's hot :D They don't want to run around in the hot sun anymore than we do. Basking in the am or late afternoon is one thing. Hiding in a cooler area during the heat of the day is another ;)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I believe they can predict the weather, too. So she probably knows temps are going up.
If temps stayed like that, she could 'estivate' for several weeks to stay cool.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's a lot cooler under ground then even the shade, they will use there shell too to help keep cool. He's doing what he knows. They also are diggers and will dig when hot or cold. Some of mine use to burrow every night.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Well, I have had her for several years now, and yes, I understand they are diggers.....this is our third year here....she has never done this before, she stayed in her little housing cover area, she isn't eating all food either. I just worry about her. I will post recent photos

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You said it is very hot and Russians natural instinct to avoid temperature extremes is to dig. Put food out when you go to bed and you could well find that it has gonevby the time you get up. Joe frequently eats in the early hours when it's hot. Provide a shady soaking place that can be used as a retreat too... a mud puddle often goes down well.

If you are concerned about hydration, it woukd do no harm to do some soaks. But do them early, before your tort gets hot and active.

Status
Not open for further replies.