"Wild" Sulcata Babies Hatched in Southern CA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I was messing around in my huge adult sulcata pen yesterday afternoon when something caught my eye.
20f6jdj.jpg

Mind you, this pen is 7000 square feet has a 200+' long run on one end and wraps around four sides of a building. It has lots of nooks and crannies, a pasture section, puddles, a water source, a big hillside, a big raised night house, shade tables, a big adult burrow that is at least 17' long/deep, logs, rocks, gopher holes, etc... Here are some pics if you haven't seen it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Enclosure-Expansion#axzz26BIMls8P
Its much greener down there now and all those pens are overflowing with grass, alfalfa, clover, squash and other plants now. The whole inside is now planted opposite that outside row too, plus there are some added 4x8' shade table/raised planters. Here is a more recent photo:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Sulcata-Burrows--50846?highlight=burrow#axzz26BIMls8P

Upon closer inspection the little thing that caught my eye was THIS little guy:
wum9vp.jpg

As I ran for the camera, he started running for cover. I snapped a few pics and then scooped him up. I was dumbfounded. I was trying to figure out how one of my babies got from home back to the ranch... It took me a minute to put it together and realize what I was really looking at. I have no idea where the nest is/was. I have no idea who the mother or father is. I have no idea when the eggs were laid. My females are pretty regular and they tell me when they are going to lay. Nobody missed their normal time to lay, and whenever they "told" me they were gonna lay, they did, and each nest was found and dug up for artificial incubation. Well clearly I somehow missed one. I don't know if this is a nest from last year that over wintered or a nest from this year that was laid in the spring. We have had a very consistently warm summer, but this summer has had a lot of unusually warm nights too. I didn't think this was possible here...

My co-workers joined me in a very thorough search of the entire enclosure. We spent an hour or more going over every inch of the pen and can't find the nest hole where they are coming from. We DID find six more little siblings though:
2yotzfa.jpg

I've got this "Magnificent Seven" set up in a 100 gallon tank now and the search for more will continue today. I'd really like to find the nest and open it up for study. I don't know how many hatched or when. These seven were literally spread from one end of the pen to the other. One was on top of the giant hill and two were way down in the farthest corner near the horse trailer. That's a walking distance of around 300'. A football field. Three were found alone and two were found in pairs hanging out together.

I can't even explain what a thrill this was. I'm still so excited. I intend to hang on to these guys and see how they turn out for a while. I want to see if there are any major differences between them and their artificially incubated siblings. Of course, anyone who knows me already knows they were soaking within minutes of being found... :D One of them had some dried algae on his shell indicating that he had already found and soaked himself in one of my long standing puddles from the irrigation system. Seriously... How cool is THIS?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's awesome. Someday I'd like to have an area where my leopards would hatch out and I would just leave them there to sort of fend for themselves in a well planted enclosure.

I often go out to my pens hoping to find something similar. I remember the thrills I had when I would find baby box turtles all over my yard every spring.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
RE: "Wild" Sulcata Babies Hatched in Southern CA!!!

How fun! I would have loved searching for the babies! Can you guess how old they are based on their size? That's so cool! Maybe one of your girls was embarrassed after a one night stand and did t want to admit to it! LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is too cool. They look great too. Have you ever just left them to hatch and grow on there own. So far they look like they have done a great job. I know you will, but be sure to keep us updated if you find more, also on the diff if any between these and the ones you hatch out.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California

HA!! Surprise surprise. This will be some great research. How fun!! Congrats on the unexpected arrivals. Look forward to updates.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ

Wow that is so cool, what fun! They look so cute I miss mine being so little.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
WAYYYYY COOL ! ..... TOM YOUR STORY MADE MY DAY! ^5
"Congrads" and thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience!

JD~:D

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Tom, how exciting!!Your babies look adorable. I am so happy for you, what a fabulous surprise!! It is too bad you don't know who they hatched from. Maybe you will find the nest soon and get an idea from where the nest is as to who might have laid them. Congratulations, Lucky dog!!:)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Wow! That's amazing... Can't wait to hear more of the story if you figure out the mystery?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Exciting!! Good luck in finding the rest of them and be careful that you don't step on any :p

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ

Great story, congrats!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:
That's awesome. Someday I'd like to have an area where my leopards would hatch out and I would just leave them there to sort of fend for themselves in a well planted enclosure.

I often go out to my pens hoping to find something similar. I remember the thrills I had when I would find baby box turtles all over my yard every spring.

Isn't this what you are doing with your leopards?

About the fending for themselves part... I have a very well planted 4x8' enclosure that is full of squash plants, clover mix, collard greens and some flowers too. I'm going to do a little "natural way" experiment with these guys. I'm planning on leaving them outside in their well planted enclosure all day everyday, weather permitting, and then soak them, and then have them sleep inside in a humid enclosure every night.

Given what has happened here, I think I might start letting spring nests stay in the ground. I can build a 24" cube with no bottom and drop it over each nest site. Then keep track of the days and keep an eye out for hatchlings. This will contain all the hatchlings, prevent any nests from being dug up by other nesting females and allow me to check out the nests after hatching.

LuckysGirl007 said:
How fun! I would have loved searching for the babies! Can you guess how old they are based on their size? That's so cool! Maybe one of your girls was embarrassed after a one night stand and did t want to admit to it! LOL

They are brand new hatchlings. The umbilical scars are all closed up, but only just barely. During their after soak rinses, some of that filamentous extraneous tissue around the umbilical area was still evident.

wellington said:
That is too cool. They look great too. Have you ever just left them to hatch and grow on there own. So far they look like they have done a great job. I know you will, but be sure to keep us updated if you find more, also on the diff if any between these and the ones you hatch out.

No. I've never left them because I didn't think they could hatch here due to our extremely hot days and cold nights. Most of the time in the summer we are 100+ during the day, but it drops to the low 60's every night. THIS summer we have had a lot of really warm nights. My a/c unit has been working overtime all summer...

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida

Oh my goodness!! I would of loved to of been there and seen your face! And of course tracked down these babies! What an amazing surprise. Can't wait to see these guys more!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I've looked and looked and can't find anymore so far. I looked for an hour and a half last night, another couple hous this morning and afternoon. I've gone over every inch of the enclosure and cannot find where they came from either. I even put on knee pads and scoured the areas where my females typically lay. I dug up about a dozen mouse and gopher tunnels, but found no nest site. The exit site from their nest must have been covered up by one of the adults walking around or something...

It is possible that ravens have been eating babies, but no one has seen anything like that. It is possible that some other predator got some, but again no evidence of any kind. No foot prints in the mud or soft dirt. No nothing. The other possiblilty is that due to the "unnatural" North American temps, only 7 of the eggs were able to develop and hatch. If these eggs over wintered, perhaps the top layer of eggs just got a little too cold, while the deeper down ones stayed just a little warmer... Just speculating here. I have no idea what has really happened. I still find it fun and exciting... :)

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan

That's fantastic, Tom. Just when you thought you might have experienced it all, they surprise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.