Will my house burn down?!

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Sooo I got a timer outlet that adjusts the times and goes on and off with the timer. I thought I set it correctly 8 am to 8 pm but lights are still on… i wont be home until tomorrow evening. Will my house burn down with the lights on all night? Im nervous. Please help anyone ever leave the ceramic light fixtures on all day and night by accident?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its hung correctly, and in the correct type of fixture, no, it won't burn your house down.

Ceramic heating elements should be on thermostats. Or a timer and a thermostat.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
If its hung correctly, and in the correct type of fixture, no, it won't burn your house down.

Ceramic heating elements should be on thermostats. Or a timer and a thermostat.
But it’s the basking light and uvb light thats on. Will it be an issue and get too hot and burn out?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
There is no reason why it should. If it runs for 12 hours a day and doesn't have a problem, it shouldn't have any problem over night.
Because I put it on early this morning. I don’t know if they can run throughout the night too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because I put it on early this morning. I don’t know if they can run throughout the night too.
Your lights should be on timers. Tortoises need it dark at night. Running the bulbs all night isn't good for the tortoises sleep cycles, but its not a fire hazard if the bulbs are in the right fixtures and mounted correctly.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Your lights should be on timers. Tortoises need it dark at night. Running the bulbs all night isn't good for the tortoises sleep cycles, but its not a fire hazard if the bulbs are in the right fixtures and mounted correctly.
I tried putting it on the timer apparently I didn’t so it correctly. Im using a uvb bulb and a basking bulb so hopefully its not a fire hazard to keep them running until tomorrow when I get home. They went on at 7 am this morjing and I checked my camera house is still in tact.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I tried putting it on the timer apparently I didn’t so it correctly. Im using a uvb bulb and a basking bulb so hopefully its not a fire hazard to keep them running until tomorrow when I get home. They went on at 7 am this morjing and I checked my camera house is still in tact.
The torts will have one looooooong day, but your house, bulbs, and tortoise should all be intact and fine tomorrow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are using the mercury vapor bulbs which gives off heat, light and uvb then you should switch it out as they are bad for causing pyramiding even in a closed chamber.
Get a tube florescent for uvb and a regular incandescent flood or bulb for basking and a che if added day heat is needed or night time heat.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Normally those timers have a switch somewhere on them that allows you to select “on” or “timer”, it may be that your timer is set to “on”, an easy fix.

Although torts do better with a light/dark cycle, 24 hours of day this one time shouldn’t be a problem.

Jamie

ReverendBob

California
Speaking as a former electrical engineer, Tom is right. There is no inherent fire hazard resulting from a UVB or heat lamp being on for 24-hours, 48-hours, or a week.

Fire hazards are going to come from improper mounting, improper home wiring, improper fixtures, or having something flammable in close contact with the heat lamp (e.g. a sheet/blanket, news paper, dry hay)

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I have 4 wires running from one extension cord running into the outlet. But so far, nothing is wrong. I keep checking it on my video camera.
Two 10 uvb light bulbs, and 75 watt basking in both fixtures. Hopefully that isn’t hazardous