Will the eggs hatch? or?

bbyparit

I have been googling, but have not found an answer. Our turtle laid eggs about 85 days ago. Everything I read said they should hatch in 70-90 days. I see no signs of hatching. Should I start scraping dirt away from the area as we are heading in to our first freeze? We already brought the other turtles into the house for the winter. Thanks!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
What species of turtle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paula:

These are the box turtles, right?

They should have hatched by now. Box turtle eggs usually hatch out in September (or 3 months). Chances are the ground where the nest was isn't warm enough. You can gently dig up the nest and take the eggs in the house. I never toss turtle eggs until they either explode or are obviously rotten. Just put them into loose potting soil and sit the container on top of the water heater.

bbyparit

They are box turtles. They were laid on August 10... so September would have been too soon based on what I've read. I will dig them up today and see what's there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lightly cover the container of eggs, and keep the medium moist. DO NOT change the orientation of the eggs. Make sure when you lift them out of the hole that the top of the egg stays facing the sky when you rebury it.

bbyparit

I uncovered the eggs... the ground had been undisturbed.. but there was a grub next to one egg and an earthworm next to the other.. no clue if the eggs were ever viable from the start.
2014-11-05 14.19.54.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sorry!! looks like they got eating by something......Maybe next time a incubator are needed instead of leaving them in the ground.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Looks like maybe they just dried up and were never viable. However, if they were laid Aug 10th, and they were viable, they wouldn't be due to hatch until right about now. Eggs often hatch late into fall and the hatchlings just stay in the nest and "hibernate "
We've had a very warm & dry fall here in New Orleans which is throwing everything off for my turtles {3toed box turtles}.
How many turtles do you have and what kind? and are you positive that's the only nest? I found 4 surprise babies in my 15X 6' enclosure