Wireless Heater?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm not the best person to advise on this. I don't know your climate, and I've not ever used cold frames or outdoor housing like that.

Perhaps some of our European members will chime in on the particular type of housing?

yillt

I don't know where you are located in the UK, and I don't know the exact temps needed for your tort, but the UK weather is often similar to the Dutch weather and I don't think I would keep any tort outside here without heating...
Maybe you can share what are normal / possible temps in your location?

EDIT: just read your post about the socket, great! I would use a CHE with a thermostat. Good luck!
Hello. Would this be ok? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451585808.575631.jpg

yillt

I don't know, maybe it would be warm enough with the cold frame, you have to give it a try. It all depends on your climate (temperatures and how much sunshine you have).
But I wouldn't worry about the night temperatures as long as it's not freezing.
Would this be ok? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451585850.561894.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hmm... I've never used something like this, so I don't really know.

The kennel is probably well insulated and easier to heat, but dark - even with a heat lamp it will be dark compared to the cold frame. Tortoises want to have bright light, so I doubt the kennel would be a comfortable place to spend the day.
On sunny days, even if it's cold outside, the cold frame warms up very fast and the heat lamp will switch off. Then it's completely dark and the tortoise can only use the cold frame part, which is rather small if they have to spend the whole day in there, especially for an adult marginated.

Another thing I like about normal cold frames is that they have no bottom, so my tortoises have naturally moist substrate and can dig in as deep as they want. The soil also stores heat and keeps the tortoises warm in chilly nights.

But the most important reason why I wouldn't buy this tortoise house: it's really expensive! :eek:
You could get a much bigger cold frame and an insulated dog kennel for much less money.

yillt

Hmm... I've never used something like this, so I don't really know.

The kennel is probably well insulated and easier to heat, but dark - even with a heat lamp it will be dark compared to the cold frame. Tortoises want to have bright light, so I doubt the kennel would be a comfortable place to spend the day.
On sunny days, even if it's cold outside, the cold frame warms up very fast and the heat lamp will switch off. Then it's completely dark and the tortoise can only use the cold frame part, which is rather small if they have to spend the whole day in there, especially for an adult marginated.

Another thing I like about normal cold frames is that they have no bottom, so my tortoises have naturally moist substrate and can dig in as deep as they want. The soil also stores heat and keeps the tortoises warm in chilly nights.

But the most important reason why I wouldn't buy this tortoise house: it's really expensive! :eek:
You could get a much bigger cold frame and an insulated dog kennel for much less money.
Thank you. I was quite worried, because I pay for my animals myself and that would use ALL of my money leaving barely any for vet bills. My parents have offered to help a bit though. Phew. The problem is, I don't have much soil, it's mostly paved. But I'm going to ask my mum if I can use one flower bed to put the cold frame on and attach a run to that.

yillt

Thank you. I was quite worried, because I pay for my animals myself and that would use ALL of my money leaving barely any for vet bills. My parents have offered to help a bit though. Phew. The problem is, I don't have much soil, it's mostly paved. But I'm going to ask my mum if I can use one flower bed to put the cold frame on and attach a run to that.
If I have a cold frame do I still need a kennel! If so, could I use an old rabbit hutch as I have one available.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Maybe it has some advantages (the designer of this tortoise house obviously thinks so), but I've never used something like a kennel, so I've no idea what you would need it for.
I know some people use wooden houses with a heating cable for additional heat at night, but those are usually small, just big enough for the tortoise to sleep in (can be put into a corner of the cold frame).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
England isn't that cold, is it? If you keep Billy outside from March till November and let him brumate in winter I don't think you'll need additional heat at night. It would be a few degrees warmer inside the cold frame than outside and in the wild they also have chilly nights in spring and autumn.
It's more important that they can warm up during day (this might be a problem depending on your climate).
Lisa, our winters are up and down drastically. It depends on where the winds come in from on this small island.
Wind from the east is no use to man nor beast. ;)

This year is unusually warm, this December is warmest its been for 70yrs. 12°c average.
Last year we had it to -18°c for quite a few nights.
Hope this helps in helping yillt. :D

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Last year we had it to -18°c for quite a few nights.
In Germany/Austria we also have winter nights like that, almost every year. I have to admit it makes me very nervous, I even get up at night to check if I should switch on the heating cable for the tortoises, but so far... no heating required.

The winter temperature doesn't really matter since, as far as I know, Billy is brumating in a fridge. But if it's very chilly in summertime too (for more than just a few days) I would strongly recommend to either take him inside or put a heat lamp/CHE in the cold frame - which should be no problem for yilt since there is a power socket outside. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know what temps are recommended for your tort but I think that our UK temps are too cold - even in the summer not to provide heat. A cold frame is not insulated and while it will protect plants from frost it will lose any heat quickly and you will need a decent insulated base as the ground will get very cold.
Even though you have found an outdoor socket, another thing you have to consider is that any leads running from it to your tort house will need to be weather proofed so that damp can not get into the appliance and it will need to be safe from things like mice etc that may nibble the lead.
Even outdoor extension leads are not designed for permanent outdoor use but I'm sure there are members here who run outside cables and can advise you on the best way to sort out that out safely.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Sorry for the slow response, was celebrating New Year's eve :)
I would be a little hesitant to use a glass enclosure for my tort. We have a glass house for our plants and in the winter it gets really cold (glass doesn't really insulate well) and in the summer it gets > 40C easily in the sun.

What about an insulated night house (like the ones Tom builds) with an outdoor area? Does your tort brumate?

yillt

Hello everyone. So i have planned the enclosure and will start tomorrow on digging up a flower bed to transform. I have bought three thing so far (attaChed) and will photos tomorrow and when Billy emerges from hibernation. Thanks everyone for the help

Attachments

• 1451755857361.jpg
    1451755857361.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9