Worried hermann owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

trina

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ive just weighed my tortoise since getting her on tuesday and tried to compare her to that jackson ratio thingy.
she is only 9 mnths old, hermann
length under is 6cm
length over is 7.5 cm
and she weighs 67g or 2 1/4oz

please help as i want the best for my tortoise and need to know if she is under/over weight
because if i go by the length under she is overweight and if i use length over she is drastically underweight

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I'm assuming by over you are measuring along the curve of the carapace. If so this will give a false reading. The length under I assume is either straightline or along pastrom. At 6cm straightline I believe you want a weight between 150gm & 200gm. At 7.5cm you would want the same range. This is how I read the the graph. I have never used this graph before seeing as I keep Geochelone & Manouria genus torts, so if a Testudo keeper has imput that would be great.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Trina,
The Jackson ratio is just a guide. Your weight is just fine for a Hermanns that size, 6cm. Your tortoise is storing up for a growth spurt, which all young tortoises do. :D

Danny

trina

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you danny, i did measure my tortoise how it says on the tortoise trust website, but thanks for the advice

trina

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
just for future does it go by the measure under or over?

Status
Not open for further replies.