Yellow foots hatched! Help!

Jess10ica

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi,

I have been looking on the forum over the last couple of days for posts about yellowfoot hatchlings, however posts seem really few and far between. Can I just apply the advice about RF?

Is there anything special I need to be doing for my little guys?

4/9 hatched so far other 5 eggs are chalking..so fingers crossed!!IMG-20171002-WA0010.jpg20170928_183358.jpg20170927_205325.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Care is same as redfoots.

You be better off with a 2x4ft vivarium to start them off in. To maintain 27/30c temps and 80%+ humidity you must use a closed system like a vivarium. A 50mm layer of moist coir with a layer of orchid bark on most of that with spagnhum moss in and around the hide will do. For heat use a CHE on a thermostat and for light use a UVB strip light set to one end so opposite end where hide is is darker. Feed under the UVB light on a piece of slate. Use a shallow terracotta dish for water(sink level to substrate). Soak your babies every day in warm water for 15mins to make sure they are kept hydrated.
Nice work BTW.

Jess10ica

Uk
Thanks guys! The temperature is reassuring, I was getting a little worried as my guys wernt moving about too much (my temp readings were around 25c) however have turned up the thermostat so they are at 28 during the day and now they are trying to climb EVERYTHING!! (Just like their mother who is a master escape artist)

I have been weighing them every 3 days and they all seem to be pretty steady, couple of grams gained for each apart from one who has gained weight however not as much as the others.

What are good starter foods? I tried dandylion pellets one day which they loved but I have had battles with other torts in the past to get them to eat fresh when they are used to the pellets and dont want to be reliant on the pellets?

Sorry for all the questions!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Weeds and flowers.
Dandelion, sow thistles, plantains, hibiscus, grape vine, clovers, bittersweet cress, mallow are just a few. Just make sure anything you collect has not had pesticides sprayed on them. You should be able to pick enough weeds to feed a dozen babies through most of the winter. I feed nettles too.

Jess10ica

Uk
Thanks again.

We have had our 3 adults for a couple of years now but rarely see yellow foots come available on rehoming websites or pet shops. Even on here the info on the yellows seems really limited.

Is it uncommon for them to breed in captivity? Or do people just not like them? As we have found them to be great torts that are really friendly and intelligent!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There not as popular as redfoots, but plenty have them and are successful with breeding. As for the uk, there are a few but not many. It's a species I'd like to have some time in the future.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Cute little babies, I hope to have a yellowfoot some day.

Jess10ica

Uk
There's Camilla & Charles and a perfect example of them working as a team to escape....or visit the neighbour!20171003_213058.jpg20171003_213121.jpgScreenshot_20171003-212832.jpg

Jess10ica

Uk
Baby update [emoji16]. All seem to be doing well..i hope. First weigh in they ranged 26-28g and are now up to 32-25g. Is this an ok weight gain from hatching day to 2+ weeks?IMG-20171011-WA0000.jpgIMG-20171010-WA0001.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Can you get better pics of the parents’ head from the top and top of their shells? Some look a little more redfooted than yellow. Congrats on the babies, no matter which they are, it is always fun!

Jess10ica

Uk
Can you get better pics of the parents’ head from the top and top of their shells? Some look a little more redfooted than yellow. Congrats on the babies, no matter which they are, it is always fun!
My male next to a redfoots if that helps?20171012_072042.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very cute torts! GOD bless.

And a very warm welcome to the forum to you as well as your torts.