Young or Old. First time buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So we all know baby torts are the cutest things in the world :)
However I am a beginner tort owner, I've always wanted one and have adored the creatures since I was very small and now the time is rolling around to actually get one. And I just wanted to know where do you stand on Young or older tortoises.

As this is my first time buying and owning my own tort I am bound to make plenty of mistakes and learn along the way. Though I do want an adorable little baby I am worried that, that might not be the best thing to do for both me and the little tort.

SO I wanted to ask. should I still go with getting a baby (people have told me a baby is usually only a couple months old)
or should I try for a little bit older tort maybe from 1-2 years old so that they are past the most delicate stage in life?

thoughts an advice are greatly appreciated!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hatchlings are definately more challenging and even under the best conditions, not all survive. For that reason, I'd go with an older tort as your first. Older torts are hardier and recover quickly if you make a mistake or two. Hatchlings are much more sensitive and get sick quick if you don't get everything right.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree. Hatchlings are not for the first time owner. An older tort would be better. Don't get talked into buying two to keep each other company either. Most torts are largely solitary in the wild, meeting up to mate and moving on. They don't get lonely, want company or want to share their enclosure as they get older.

Bear in mind that a tort should live for 50 years or more, perhaps 100... so it's not only a pet for your lifetime, but that of children too probably!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my opinion, look at it like this. Do you have the time and money, mostly time to put into a baby? If purchased from a good reputable breeder, that does not start the baby out wrong, and you have the time to put into the proper care, they require more time then older ones, then I say go with a baby. If your answers were no, then I say go with an older one or adult.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
mctlong said:
Hatchlings are definately more challenging and even under the best conditions, not all survive. For that reason, I'd go with an older tort as your first. Older torts are hardier and recover quickly if you make a mistake or two. Hatchlings are much more sensitive and get sick quick if you don't get everything right.

ah thanks these are exactly the things that i was trying to consider and i was just trying to know for sure what I would be getting into wether buying an older or younger tort

wellington said:
In my opinion, look at it like this. Do you have the time and money, mostly time to put into a baby? If purchased from a good reputable breeder, that does not start the baby out wrong, and you have the time to put into the proper care, they require more time then older ones, then I say go with a baby. If your answers were no, then I say go with an older one or adult.

Yea, this is why i wanted to ask some questions bc Even though I do have the time to look after one I dont think I would notice all mistakes or even minor differences in behavior of a baby and by the time I do notice it may be too late for the little guy since I am a first timer

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I had the same decision to make before I purchased my Russian. I decided to get an adult to learn from and now my next will be a baby. Adults are a lot more tolerant of "learning mistakes" then a baby will be.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
littlestella said:
I had the same decision to make before I purchased my Russian. I decided to get an adult to learn from and now my next will be a baby. Adults are a lot more tolerant of "learning mistakes" then a baby will be.

thanks for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.