3 New Hatchlings

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Enjoying a sunning session with some fresh weed sprouts to eat!
1385323119111.jpg

I don't want them roaming their pen because it's still too chilly outside. So, in a black tub for 20 min while I watch over them :)

Look at them.....all eyes open and eating, even Tiny Tim!!
1385323137368.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks bee,
Flower and Butters are doing great. Their shells are harder. I no longer feel like they are going to squish in my hands when I pick them up.
Sadly, Tiny Tim seems softer. I have to be so delicate. I'm even afraid to rinse him off if the water pressure is too strong thinking it will crush him! :(
I'm glad he still eats but I think he needs a miracle.
I'm giving him extra sunning sessions while in a warm soak so he stays hydrated. I'll be sad if I loose him but will know I did all I could. And if he makes it, I'll do a happy dance for him every day, rejoicing over this special little gift :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: 3 New Hatchlings

Jtort said:
how is Tiny Tim doing?

He is hanging on but loosing the battle.
He is still soaked 3x a day. He drinks a lot each soak and does eat although, not much. He is still extremely soft and I can see a dark purplish color through his shell (I can't capture the color in pictures, I've tried)
Shortly after each soak his eyes close and don't reopen until the next one.
Here is a picture I just took..you can see his head under the water, drinking
1385763806936.jpg

Can't really see the dark color
1385763863760.jpg
1385763882022.jpg

A soak session in the sun 2 days ago..
1385763939488.jpg

The other 2 are doing great. No closed eyes at all and much harder shells than when they came in. Eating great and grazing during the short times outside. They are catching up to Elmo, their sibling.
Here is butters..
1385764044501.jpg

Thanks for asking. I'm hanging on with him to the end... Still hoping there isn't a near end.... But ya know

Last edited by a moderator:

Leo1986

5 Year Member
I'm sorry to hear he's not doing so hot. I had a Leo hatchling that had growth rings that popped up above the original scutes like that... A tort vet said that was indicative of septicemia so we did antibiotics and force feeding. All my fingers and toes are crossed for Tiny Tim to pull through!!!!

On a brighter note its awesome that you've got the other two turned around!

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Aww poor little thing. I hope things turn around for him [PENSIVE FACE]

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Still hoping for a miracle for Tiny Tim.....It's great that the others are doing well.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Sad update:
I woke up this morning to soak all the leopards.
Tiny Tim AND Butters both died last night :(
I had expected Tiny Tim to pass but not Butters. Her shell had been hardening and she was doing better up until this last week. But I was still hopeful.

Butters was a beautiful blonde baby, too. I'm very sad I won't get to see her pattern as she grows :(

Flowers and Elmo are doing great...

....sigh.....the territory that comes with rehab/rescue...

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I'm sorry. I know it is hard to put that much hope and attention into something and then you loose it. But like said before if they couldn't make it with you they wouldn't have made it anywhere

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Team Gomberg said:
Sad update:
I woke up this morning to soak all the leopards.
Tiny Tim AND Butters both died last night :(
I had expected Tiny Tim to pass but not Butters. Her shell had been hardening and she was doing better up until this last week. But I was still hopeful.

Butters was a beautiful blonde baby, too. I'm very sad I won't get to see her pattern as she grows :(

Flowers and Elmo are doing great...

....sigh.....the territory that comes with rehab/rescue...

I'm really sorry :0(
I was rooting for them.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks elohi and mtdavis.
I was rooting, too!

The first baby I lost was going to be preserved but I failed at it. That made me feel worse...
These 2 are getting a burial.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. I know you did the best anyone could have.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
2 the same night :( I'm so sorry! I just lost my best friend, don't think I could handle losing a tort too! You did everything you could and the others look great!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man Heather, this news sucks. I was sure with your good care. But sadly, the damage was too far gone. This, is why this forum is so vital and important and valuable. To prevent those type of losses. You did the best with what you were given Heather. Those babies know you tried to do the best for them. Rest in peace sweet little Tiny Tim and Butters.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
So sorry Heather! :(

With a name like Tiny Tim, how could we not route for him? And Butter was such a cutie too!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks everyone.

I knew from the day I took them in that their future was already determined. Either they were too far gone and were going to pass or they were at the hurdle and needed the hydration to overcome and start to improve. So, I know they didn't die because of anything I did or didn't do. That makes it easier but I'm still sad for the little ones.

Let's keep on sharing the information of how important it is for the sulcata and leopard babies to be raised in a way that mimics their natural habitat. Hot and humid!