911 item - Found Yellowfoot in bottom of pond

TimR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Support her head and swing her down from over your head towards he floor quickly, to force the water out of the lungs. You can do his several times. Then set her up with her head lower than her back end in small space where she can't do too much moving. She'll need antibiotics, so a trip to the vet is in order. You can also hold her on your lap with her head lower than her tail and pump her front legs in and out.
Thanks, I am continuing with holding her in a 'head down' position every so often. I am not seeing much more water coming out of her mouth/nose.

TimR

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
If you think there is still water in her then you need to get it out. Do what Yvonne said once or twice and then set her up like she said for the night. Keep her warm but set the heat off to the side a bit so she can't over heat.
Thanks, the heat pad is a reptile heat mat, set for 80* that she uses frequently it her night box. I wanted to get her temperature up after getting her out of the pond. I will unplug it over night. She has not taken any steps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks, the heat pad is a reptile heat mat, set for 80* that she uses frequently it her night box. I wanted to get her temperature up after getting her out of the pond. I will unplug it over night. She has not taken any steps.
Heat pads should not be used unless there is heat also above and both on a thermostat. Change it up tomorrow. Tortoises heat from the top not bottom. They will stay on a heat pad too long trying to heat their top unless there is heat above it too. Both needing to be on a thermostat.

COmtnLady

Colorado
That noise sounds to me like the same kind someone with asthma makes during an attack. No idea what you can do to alleviate the irritation and narrowing of the bronchial passageways.

The idea about raising her stern higher than her head seems logical.

Keep us posted. Best of luck to you and her.

Central PA
That vocalization might be from exhaustion from constant moving of her ead in effort to breathe but I think is is most likely stress and/or pain...Im sure there is a lot of pressure in her lungs rn

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
In a funny coincidence, this article came across my newsfeed yesterday:

I'm glad that your tort seems to be doing well... fingers crossed for their continued recovery.

Jamie

TimR

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Thanks All. She was still very lethargic this morning. I took her out in the yard when the temperature warmed up and the sun was out. She stayed in one place for over an hour, but her breathing seemed normal. Later she walked off and started grazing on clover in the yard and seems to be acting much better. If she puts herself to bed in the night box, I will let her stay out. If not, I will bring her back in tonight.

She sees the vet tomorrow morning.

Tim

TimR

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
So, yes, I got her to the vet last Tuesday and she checked out well. The vet gave her anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory injections. And gave me several syringes to continue the treatment for 2 weeks.

She seems to be pretty much back to normal.

Thanks!
Tim