Advice for first time sulcata keeper? Sulcata Adoption

Nellie Rose

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
This is the enclosure so far. What does it need?
I know it needs more substrate, so I'll go and get that tomorrow. The tube uvb isn't hooked up yet, but I have it.

Otherwise, anything else I can add? I tried to maximize space as best I could by making the hide a basking spot as well.
I'll try to pick up some live plants like a snake plant and Boston fern for her instead of that fake fern, even though I know she'll just eat them.
She's got a large water dish, and another hide on the other side of her enclosure, a mercury vapor bulb, I'm going to take the Dome off to make it less of a focused heat and more ambient.

So to summarize. I'm adding more substrate, a tube uvb (24 inch), taking off the Dome on the heat lamp, and adding some live plants. I also have a humidifier ready to go, just got to drill a hole in the side of the enclosure. Also a smart thermometer and hygrometer and mini camera to check on her while I'm at work.

Anything else I should add?

Attachments

• 20231024_184803.jpg
    20231024_184803.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Nellie Rose

Maryland
Also, after setting it up I am seeing why it is too small for the Sulcata, even at 4 inches. It seems so big when there's nothing in it.
This is the tortoises current enclosure though, so I think it is still a small upgrade.
Definitely looking for a larger enclosure though.

Attachments

• 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank by Troy Taylor Russian tortoise enclosure.png
    50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank by Troy Taylor Russian tortoise enclosure.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, after setting it up I am seeing why it is too small for the Sulcata, even at 4 inches. It seems so big when there's nothing in it.
This is the tortoises current enclosure though, so I think it is still a small upgrade.
Definitely looking for a larger enclosure though.
Dishes need to be sunken in so it's level with the top of the substrate. It also needs to be closed, not an open top.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
Dishes need to be sunken in so it's level with the top of the substrate. It also needs to be closed, not an open top.
It is.
I think you're talking about the picture of her current enclosure at her fosters, the 50 gal stock tank.

Mine is the 120 gal pvc, closed top, dishes level with substrate, etc.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You mentioned MVB lamp. Better to replace it with incandescent bulb. You already have UV source (tube), to have another one is an overkill. And MVB could cause pyramiding (yes, you plan to remove the dome, but it's still could be too much). Haven't seen the mentions of ambient heating (CHE or RHP) and ambient (non-UV and non-basking) lights.
Mister is somewhat redundant with closed top enclosure. There should not be a problem to have RH 80-90% in a closed chamber.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
You mentioned MVB lamp. Better to replace it with incandescent bulb. You already have UV source (tube), to have another one is an overkill. And MVB could cause pyramiding (yes, you plan to remove the dome, but it's still could be too much). Haven't seen the mentions of ambient heating (CHE or RHP) and ambient (non-UV and non-basking) lights.
Mister is somewhat redundant with closed top enclosure. There should not be a problem to have RH 80-90% in a closed chamber.
I can switch it out for an incandescent. My original thought was just to use the mercury vapor and no tube, and use led to light the rest of the enclosure but I changed my mind, so I'll switch it. I put this together mostly just to get a visual of what it will be like and it's functionality.
What is the point of the other heat sources? Ceramic and panels? As long as the ambient temps are adequate and the basking spot isn't too intense. This enclosure stores heat very well, which is why I was only planning for the one heat bulb.
I'm waiting for a fixture with no Dome I can screw into the ceiling to arrive, just put the lamp in there to get a visual of how far off the ground it would be.
Mister is redundant but I love redundancy and backup plans. It's hooked to a hygrometer that will switch on and off to maintain proper humidity, although most days it likely won't turn on at all.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
MVB are great on paper and maybe for other reptile species. Tom's recommendation was to avoid them as too intense and harmful for shell. Both CHE and RHP work fine in closed insulated enclosures. Paired with thermostat (which is obviously good thing to do) they provide stable temperatures at the day time and, what's important, at night. It's okay to have lower temperatures at night for adults of moderate species (like DTs and Russians), but it wasn't recommended for any hatchlings. Cold, humid enclosure could result in respiratory infection. And yes, it's the backup and redundancy you like (and more useful and crucial than mister).

And to the mister once again, usually damp lower layer of substrate keeps humidity fine for several days (in my enclosure humidity stays around 90-100% for more than a week). But I'm not sure why misters considered a bad thing.. Maybe because the surfaces (and tortoise) get wet and cool down too much through evaporation, need to search the forum for the clues.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
MVB are great on paper and maybe for other reptile species. Tom's recommendation was to avoid them as too intense and harmful for shell. Both CHE and RHP work fine in closed insulated enclosures. Paired with thermostat (which is obviously good thing to do) they provide stable temperatures at the day time and, what's important, at night. It's okay to have lower temperatures at night for adults of moderate species (like DTs and Russians), but it wasn't recommended for any hatchlings. Cold, humid enclosure could result in respiratory infection. And yes, it's the backup and redundancy you like (and more useful and crucial than mister).

And to the mister once again, usually damp lower layer of substrate keeps humidity fine for several days (in my enclosure humidity stays around 90-100% for more than a week). But I'm not sure why misters considered a bad thing.. Maybe because the surfaces (and tortoise) get wet and cool down too much through evaporation, need to search the forum for the clues.
Ok, I'll switch over to an incandescent. I probably won't need to provide heat at night, temps drop maybe 5 degrees in the room, he'll be in my hot temp room with the other tropical and dessert animals, while I keep my cooler temp animals separately. Temps average around 85 during the day and 80 at night, is that adequate? Obviously her enclosure will be hotter during the day with the lights on.
I'll still provide a CHE on a thermostat, although it likely won't turn on.

I am surprised about the humidifier. It isn't a mister, it makes like a fog in the air, and when used correctly it shouldn't soak anything like a mister does.
I'll just monitor humidity closely and introduce it if I'm having trouble maintaining the proper range.
What humidity should I aim for for a baby?
Thanks!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You are really well prepared :) Temperatures of 80-85 are adequate and should not be higher outside the basking spot.

I don't know really much about misters, foggers and humidifiers. Haven't had a chance or reason to dive deep on that topic. You should aim for 80-85% humidity.

Please consult Tom's care sheet on raising sulcatas to double-check the numbers (there should be a link somewhere above). I won't rely on my memory on that topic, since I have no experience with sulcatas and hatchlings. My the only redfoot is my passion :)

Nellie Rose

Maryland
You are really well prepared :) Temperatures of 80-85 are adequate and should not be higher outside the basking spot.

I don't know really much about misters, foggers and humidifiers. Haven't had a chance or reason to dive deep on that topic. You should aim for 80-85% humidity.

Please consult Tom's care sheet on raising sulcatas to double-check the numbers (there should be a link somewhere above). I won't rely on my memory on that topic, since I have no experience with sulcatas and hatchlings. My the only redfoot is my passion :)
Thanks! I read the care sheet a couple times, I just have a bad memory haha. And yeah I think reptile room temps will be high enough, I'll still provide a ceramic bulb on a thermostat to be safe and keep everything as consistent as possible.
The rescue wanted me to pick her up Friday but I postponed, want to monitor the enclosure and make sure everything is running properly first.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
Hey everyone! The day finally came and I picked up the little one tonight.
She's very tiny, much smaller than I thought she would be, smaller than my male Hermanns, who is around 5-6 inches max. I guess 4 inches sounds bigger than it us. She is very sleepy, I didn't pick her up until 7 so after dark, and it got cold here! Very fast.
Her enclosure is nice and toasty though, and 100% a contained environment. So far it maintains good temperatures all day and night with one 75 watt incandescent.
The uvb isn't hooked up yet, the cord I have broke, but it arrives tomorrow so I'll be able to hook it up first thing in the morning.
I've got Mazuri grassland for her, some dark leafy greens, weeds and grasses, wildflowers I grew myself, etc. Anything I'm missing?
Here she is. The rescue called her Cassie. Anyone have any name suggestions? I am not sure, I like Cassie but I also like Nova, Tenerife, Luna, and Celeste.

Attachments

• 20231101_222934.jpg
    20231101_222934.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20231101_222950.jpg
    20231101_222950.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231101_223008.jpg
    20231101_223008.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231101_223017.jpg
    20231101_223017.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231101_223858.jpg
    20231101_223858.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hey everyone! The day finally came and I picked up the little one tonight.
She's very tiny, much smaller than I thought she would be, smaller than my male Hermanns, who is around 5-6 inches max. I guess 4 inches sounds bigger than it us. She is very sleepy, I didn't pick her up until 7 so after dark, and it got cold here! Very fast.
Her enclosure is nice and toasty though, and 100% a contained environment. So far it maintains good temperatures all day and night with one 75 watt incandescent.
The uvb isn't hooked up yet, the cord I have broke, but it arrives tomorrow so I'll be able to hook it up first thing in the morning.
I've got Mazuri grassland for her, some dark leafy greens, weeds and grasses, wildflowers I grew myself, etc. Anything I'm missing?
Here she is. The rescue called her Cassie. Anyone have any name suggestions? I am not sure, I like Cassie but I also like Nova, Tenerife, Luna, and Celeste.
That's a very pretty girl. Celeste.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
She looks really nice. And curious. I think she have a good start here (diet and environment look good). Congratulations!

P.S. - Cassie sounds nice to me.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
That's a very pretty girl. Celeste.
Thanks! She's so adorable. I did not realize she would be quite this small.
She looks really nice. And curious. I think she have a good start here (diet and environment look good). Congratulations!

P.S. - Cassie sounds nice to me.
Thanks! She wouldn't come out of her shell at first, but I just turned the lights out and she's already not ducking in when I am working around her.

Of course not sure she is a her. The rescue referred to her as female, and she does have a flat plastron but it's the rescues policy not to release the gender of the animal to prevent people from acquiring cheap animals for breeding. So im not sure, I'm reading it's impossible to tell the difference this young, but I'm also reading there are some notable differences so I don't know.

I really don't know what to name her 😅 I like Cassie, as in Cassiopia. Luna and Celeste are polar opposites, and I have no idea where Tenerife came from.

I showed her the water dish tonight, watched her bask for a while, in the morning I'll give her some mazuri with some fresh clippings from my mini tortoise garden, some wildflowers, Clover, grasses, and dandelion in the morning.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
With Cassie you can always fallback to Cassidy and Cassius or Cassiopeia and Cassandra. Or even Casio.. :)

And don't worry about her size. Sulcatas grow fast, sometimes shockingly fast.

You didn't mentioned humidity in the enclosure, but I'm pretty sure it's 80%+ .

And, please, keep posting updates on Cassie. I would love to see her growing.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
With Cassie you can always fallback to Cassidy and Cassius or Cassiopeia and Cassandra. Or even Casio.. :)

And don't worry about her size. Sulcatas grow fast, sometimes shockingly fast.

You didn't mentioned humidity in the enclosure, but I'm pretty sure it's 80%+ .

And, please, keep posting updates on Cassie. I would love to see her growing.
I just didn't realize how tiny she is before. 4 inches seems bigger than it is I guess 🤣 I thought she would be Herrmanns size.
Yeah humidity is high, probably between 70-80, but her humid hides are reading 98%
I will. I'll probably post too much tbh. But I'm really excited, when I say I've wanted a sulcata forever I'm talking since I was 6 or 7 when I first found out you could keep one as a pet and not just see them at a zoo 😊

Going to check on her now and give her breakfast! I don't have a ton of time to spend with her today, but I have tomorrow afternoon off work and most of the weekend.
She has a very intelligent expression, as well as being very pretty.
Angie
She does 😊 thanks!

Nellie Rose

Maryland
She's an active little thing, way more than Herrmann, I'm definitely looking for a new enclosure ASAP.
Unfortunately there was frost on the ground this morning 😭
I was hoping to have one or two more 70 F days for some brief grazing for her but definitely not now.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
She's an active little thing, way more than Herrmann, I'm definitely looking for a new enclosure ASAP.
Unfortunately there was frost on the ground this morning 😭
I was hoping to have one or two more 70 F days for some brief grazing for her but definitely not now.
It's good that she is settled down and active. I believe you will resolve the lack of space problem. More photos and updates are welcome!

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Thanks! She's so adorable. I did not realize she would be quite this small.

Thanks! She wouldn't come out of her shell at first, but I just turned the lights out and she's already not ducking in when I am working around her.

Of course not sure she is a her. The rescue referred to her as female, and she does have a flat plastron but it's the rescues policy not to release the gender of the animal to prevent people from acquiring cheap animals for breeding. So im not sure, I'm reading it's impossible to tell the difference this young, but I'm also reading there are some notable differences so I don't know.

I really don't know what to name her 😅 I like Cassie, as in Cassiopia. Luna and Celeste are polar opposites, and I have no idea where Tenerife came from.

I showed her the water dish tonight, watched her bask for a while, in the morning I'll give her some mazuri with some fresh clippings from my mini tortoise garden, some wildflowers, Clover, grasses, and dandelion in the morning.
Trying not to be envious of your greenery. I might succeed. You could search for a female/male name and not have to change later.