Advice for first time sulcata keeper? Sulcata Adoption

Nellie Rose

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Trying not to be envious of your greenery. I might succeed. You could search for a female/male name and not have to change later.
I am leaning towards Celeste, don't know why. I don't like the name very much but it seems to fit her.
And thanks. I promise its not that impressive 🤣 just a couple plastic boxes by my window. The wildflowers and weeds are just barely starting to grow, since they are my newest plants.
I've got spineless prickly pear cactus growing too, it's only just starting to root.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
I was wondering if someone could help give me an idea of sex? I know she is young, and it may not be possible, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Also age? I figure I'll need to provide better pictures for that though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I was wondering if someone could help give me an idea of sex? I know she is young, and it may not be possible, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Also age? I figure I'll need to provide better pictures for that though.
You'll just have to wait until it grows to know the sex. And the age would just be a guess because they grow at different rates.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I can also help you avoid problems because I keep sulcatas in a cold climate area. My first sulcata Walker was raised in Calvert county Maryland for his first 10 years. He now resides across the Potomac River in Colonial Beach Virginia since 2006. We can see Maryland from the house it's only 2 miles across the river. I now have 4 male sulcatas, they each have their own heated house and area separated from each other. They live outside all year and do well even during the colder months. This is Walker my oldest View attachment 362650He hatchet out in the summer of1996. Just weighed him a couple weeks ago and he is up to 167 pounds. If your heart is really in on caring for and giving one everything that's needed for a proper environment it's very doable. It's a big important decision for a tortoise that's going to get big and most likely outlive you.
Wow, 167# 🤔 🫣 😲
My PeeWee is 80#, 167# is a whole lotta Tort.