Aldabra enclosures

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I do this for that very reason. I usually put just a few original pieces into the soaking tub with the LS for flavor and smell, and they eat the LS better when I do this.
Our Aldabras and our younger Galapagos have never eaten the original formula, not even one pellet. They are addicted to the LS though. They can easily smell it from 100 feet away and they perk up and move as fast as possible to it. If the pellets spill out onto the grass they eat the grass that they touched and then they eat the LS flavored dirt underneath that.
I can't get our radiateds to transition to the LS though, they were started on the original formula before we got them.

So maybe the trick is just not giving them the original formula until they have become addicted to LS.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Our Aldabras and our younger Galapagos have never eaten the original formula, not even one pellet. They are addicted to the LS though. They can easily smell it from 100 feet away and they perk up and move as fast as possible to it. If the pellets spill out onto the grass they eat the grass that they touched and then they eat the LS flavored dirt underneath that.
I can't get our radiateds to transition to the LS though, they were started on the original formula before we got them.

So maybe the trick is just not giving them the original formula until they have become addicted to LS.
I'll have to try that on my next set of babies. I've always introduced the LS with a little 5M21 in it on the assumption that the tortoises wouldn't like the LS plain and wouldn't want to eat it without "enhancement" of some sort. Clearly an incorrect assumption on my part.