• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Well, a big foot thread, so why not?

I find it highly unlikely in a universe so vast as to be consider immeasurable that we are the only living species.

I'm a huge science geek and love space and what have you, and love to read things by guys like Hawking, etc.

So what are your thoughts? A general yes or no will suffice, but I'd love to hear why or why you don't believe in extra-terrestrial life?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
yes there has to be. We cant have the only life sustaining planet and somehow we only exist.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
do I believe that in the entire universe there may be other life forms, yes. do I think they travel billions of miles just to leave patterns in our corn fields? no

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Whole-heartedly agree.

I just can't for the life of me imagine anyone honestly believing that we are. I mean, so many countless planets, solar systems, galaxies...Dimensions even being a possibility..

It just seems more logical to lean towards yes.

And yes..If there are beings that can travel through space and come to our planet, I hardly see what sort of fascination they have with crop fields.

New B-Movie Alien thriller! Aliens invade and take over earth, establishing Nebraska as their stronghold!

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I have this argument with my friend all the time.
with us not knowing the size of the universe how can we know if there is nothing else out there.
there is definitely something out there

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Bahhhh, this topic scares the pants off of me. It's not even funny ;P I seriously watched Signs for the 63772627th time last week and it still creeps me out. It's not even a good movie haha.

That aside, there has to be something out there. The universe is so vast, it's silly to believe we're the only life sustaining planet.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Well, to be fair, it is highly likely if you ask me that there are many hostile and friendly things out there. It'd be improbable for the rest of the universe to contain only hostile or only friendly beings.

Let's just hope we don't run across the mean ones.

I'd much prefer ET over Independence Day.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Well if you think of the human race for example. If we find something new we destroy it lol or capture it, or steal it for study. but in doing so we dont think we are being evil. what if the aliens are teh same they find us and say lets harvest the earth lol

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
History shows us the more technologically advanced being or race conquers the lesser. Unfortunately, if something has the means to travel all this way to our planet, it does not bode well for us if they have ill intent.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Or we will do something to upset them. Just to satisfy our need for war

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Unfortunately, that'd be another great possibility.

One has to wonder though, just what they would look like.

What if we can't even see them with our eyes?

What if they are ethereal?

So many questions, yet so few answers.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
A part of me wants there to be aliens and a part of me doesnt. I dont want some alien race coming in and totally taking over our world. But I think it would be very cool if there were other races living on other planets.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Ah, the optimism that the civilizations that we know are infinite. Such kept the Roman Empire alive for quite some time, but everything comes to an end.

Something I have to assume though, is if they have the ability to come here...they'd already be more technologically advanced, no doubt..What exactly would they want with Earth?

Also, think of this...there is a possibility, that somewhere, deep off in space, other beings, possibly similar to us, are also inquiring on this very question..they also look up at the sky and wonder, what else is out there.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Our oil minerals water anything trees. maybe they have used up all of those things on there planet need ours. Im sure we would take it from them if we could. well not me but you know what i mean

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
A possibility brought up by Hawking once, was that human beings have traveled (Or similar species) from planet to planet, exhausting all the natural resources, and eventually burning out the unique atmosphere on each planet, before either dying out or moving to another planet.

That'd explain the planets surrounding us being so desolate.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Yes, life is out there, but it may be very different than life on earth. Will we recognize it as life?

How do we define "life" - i.e. - does life need to breath oxygen? Does life need to be made up of carbon? Does it need to be sentient? Does it need intelligence? Does it need a life cycle? Stars, for example, have a life cycle. They are born, they grow, they deteriorate, and then they die. Are they living? Why not?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I like Calvin's (Calvin & Hobbes) answer best:

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Well im a future astrophysicist so i should know somewhat, so let me explain my thoughts on aliens hah, so we live in a galaxy, this galaxy contains billions of stars, and there are as many galaxies as there are stars in our galaxy and there are more planets than there are stars so think about it, what are the chances of another star having a planet at the right distance like ours that harbors life? Theyre pretty high right, but what are our chances of ever meeting finding ET life? Not good lol, what i am sure of is, there is ET organisms and microbes in outer space but advanced life is rare, because it takes a long time to become advanced lol and im theyre so far that by the time our radio signals reach them we will not be here anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.