Alternative to heat lamp

djones8623

Location (City and/or State)
Clover
Hi everybody,

So, I’ve about decided to get a new tortoise. I’ll be keeping it on the inside, at least for a good while, so I’m assuming it will be a baby/smallish tortoise. My wife and I both work a ways from our home, and having a heated lamp kinda makes me fearful that my house could burn down while I’m away if something happens to bump it on the floor. I don’t know if that a ridiculous thought or not. Are there any alternatives to using a heat lamp for a young tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, not really. They have to be able to bask under it where it needs to heat up at tort level 95-100. That's big and little ones.
However you could hang it from the ceiling but that kinda prevents using a closed chamber which is also needed.
But with a proper closed chamber the heat/lights will all be inside the enclosure and no way to be knocked over without the whole enclosure being knocked over.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi everybody,

So, I’ve about decided to get a new tortoise. I’ll be keeping it on the inside, at least for a good while, so I’m assuming it will be a baby/smallish tortoise. My wife and I both work a ways from our home, and having a heated lamp kinda makes me fearful that my house could burn down while I’m away if something happens to bump it on the floor. I don’t know if that a ridiculous thought or not. Are there any alternatives to using a heat lamp for a young tortoise?
If you went with a Redfoot you could do a radiant heat panel.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everybody,

If your heat lamp is hung from over head, as it should be, it can't fall, get bumped, or get misplaced.