am I overreacting?

agggie

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Hi there, new to this forum.

I’m home for winter break. Last winter, I talked at length to my dad about how sulcata tortoises can’t handle below 60 deg F. They are in Miami so the winters don’t get extreme, but it can get below 60.

While we were out tonight, I realized my parents left their sulcata tortoise outside in 48 degree weather! I told my dad and he said something along the lines of “tortoises hibernate he’ll be fine,” which is the exact thing he told me last winter. I thought last winter we had a productive convo but apparently not.

The tortoise was outside until about 1:30am. I brought him in immediately against my dad’s wishes. I asked my mom where the indoor pen was— apparently my dad had thrown it away. She helped me set up a makeshift enclosure.

I think the tortoise might be ok if my mom is more active in caring for him. Apparently she told my dad this morning that it would be too cold for the tortoise but didn’t actually DO anything about it. If I hadn’t said anything the tortoise would have been outside all night (& I pointed this out to her).

When we moved the tortoise in, I asked if they had a heat lamp. They threw it out too. So I made some heating bags with rice and put it against the tortoise. My mom was very against this. She said she touched the shell and it felt fine compared to when she’s touched it before and that he would warm up on his own.

Ofc I yakked on and on about how this could mean death for the tortoise and they need to do a better job or rehome him. Am I overreacting? Would the tortoise have been fine without the heating bags? Could a few hours out in 48 deg weather result in serious health complications?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hi there, new to this forum.

I’m home for winter break. Last winter, I talked at length to my dad about how sulcata tortoises can’t handle below 60 deg F. They are in Miami so the winters don’t get extreme, but it can get below 60.

While we were out tonight, I realized my parents left their sulcata tortoise outside in 48 degree weather! I told my dad and he said something along the lines of “tortoises hibernate he’ll be fine,” which is the exact thing he told me last winter. I thought last winter we had a productive convo but apparently not.

The tortoise was outside until about 1:30am. I brought him in immediately against my dad’s wishes. I asked my mom where the indoor pen was— apparently my dad had thrown it away. She helped me set up a makeshift enclosure.

I think the tortoise might be ok if my mom is more active in caring for him. Apparently she told my dad this morning that it would be too cold for the tortoise but didn’t actually DO anything about it. If I hadn’t said anything the tortoise would have been outside all night (& I pointed this out to her).

When we moved the tortoise in, I asked if they had a heat lamp. They threw it out too. So I made some heating bags with rice and put it against the tortoise. My mom was very against this. She said she touched the shell and it felt fine compared to when she’s touched it before and that he would warm up on his own.

Ofc I yakked on and on about how this could mean death for the tortoise and they need to do a better job or rehome him. Am I overreacting? Would the tortoise have been fine without the heating bags? Could a few hours out in 48 deg weather result in serious health complications?
I don't think you're overreacting at all. How big is the tort? The bigger ones seem to handle lower temps better than the little ones. Even still, these guys should never be exposed to cold temps for prolonged periods of time.

SteveM

MS
You might also remind him that Sulcatas don't hibernate, they're not from an area where they need to. If they have time to read it, Tom's guide will answer any questions.

agggie

Miami
I don't think you're overreacting at all. How big is the tort? The bigger ones seem to handle lower temps better than the little ones. Even still, these guys should never be exposed to cold temps for prolonged periods of time.
Thank you. He is ~12 years old.

agggie

Miami
You might also remind him that Sulcatas don't hibernate, they're not from an area where they need to. If they have time to read it, Tom's guide will answer any questions.
Yes I have told him that they don’t hibernate. Where can I find Tom’s Guide?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I have told him that they don’t hibernate. Where can I find Tom’s Guide?
You are NOT over reacting.

At the bottom of this linked thread is a sulcata care sheet, and also all of the night box threads which would 100% solve this problem. A 12 year old sulcata should not be coming inside the house, and inside the house on the floor is also too cold. The tortoise needs a heated night box to sleep in EVERY night. A thermostat will keep the the heat off during the majority of your year when it isn't needed. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you post some pictures of the tortoise?

agggie

Miami
You are NOT over reacting.

At the bottom of this linked thread is a sulcata care sheet, and also all of the night box threads which would 100% solve this problem. A 12 year old sulcata should not be coming inside the house, and inside the house on the floor is also too cold. The tortoise needs a heated night box to sleep in EVERY night. A thermostat will keep the the heat off during the majority of your year when it isn't needed. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954
Thank you Tom, your guide was very helpful. I will make sure this gets built asap.

agggie

Miami
Can you post some pictures of the tortoise?
This is the current situation. The bags beside him are the heating bags I made. I ordered this heat lamp but it isn't arriving until Wednesday. The house temperature is set to 75 deg.

Attachments

• IMG_8472.jpg
    IMG_8472.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8473.jpg
    IMG_8473.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. Looks like he has had a hard time of it, with years of improper care. Not blaming anyone here. Sometimes we mean well, and keep doing what we believe is right when it's not.

agggie

Miami
Yes his shell is horrible. Does anyone know of any tortoise rescue centers in Miami? I think I need to rehome him asap. My parents don't care he is lethargic, and my mom was mad I soaked him, and my dad wanted me to not give him food today. He isn't moving even after soaking.

agggie

Miami
And he ate this morning but isn't interested in anything else. He also pooped once this morning. I convinced my parents to take him to the vet after they saw me crying...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That tortoise needs to get out of that home immediately. He’s in bad bad shape. I can only hope the vet tells them that and they listen. Maybe @ZEROPILOT can recommend a rescue?
I'm familiar with a few places in Miami/Dade County that claim to be rescues. Two I have first hand dealings with and they are just buyers and resellers.

At any rate, that tortoise would likely be better off going anywhere that it's needs would be more of a priority.
It looks like it probably has severe MBD and will likely not survive much longer regardless. I'm sorry to be so blunt. But this looks very serious.
It needs a veterinarians care.
My vet is an hours drive from Miami. But would be well worth it:
Broward Avian and Exotic in Deerfield Beach Florida

agggie

Miami
I'm familiar with a few places in Miami/Dade County that claim to be rescues. Two I have first hand dealings with and they are just buyers and resellers.

At any rate, that tortoise would likely be better off going anywhere that it's needs would be more of a priority.
It looks like it probably has severe MBD and will likely not survive much longer regardless. I'm sorry to be so blunt. But this looks very serious.
It needs a veterinarians care.
My vet is an hours drive from Miami. But would be well worth it:
Broward Avian and Exotic in Deerfield Beach Florida9u
Thank you. I am so worried I couldn't sleep. I will go to that vet, thank you so much for the recommendation. What are the two rescue centers? And which ones are just buyers?

agggie

Miami
is Miami Animal Rescue good? I got in contact with them yesterday