Another crisis (Ants)

Tim Brophy

Good. The Amdro should work. That is specifically for fire ants. The other stuff, diatomaceous earth, Terra bait traps, bacon grease, etc. is useless.
Fire ants will kill and consume newborn fawns.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Fire ants will kill and consume newborn fawns.

OMG! Horrific!
Back in the spring, I found a tiny newly hatched Eurasian Collared Dove in my yard. It had fallen from its nest. The poor baby was covered in black ants, still alive, twitching.
I HATE killing anything, but saw no alternative. Sad day.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You could try diatomaceous earth it is 100 percent organic and completely safe. It dehydrates insects. You can get a bag in Amazon. I use it my yard to keep my chickens bug free. And in my house to keep everything else bug free. It works great on small insects even fleas and ticks. Good luck.
Thanks for that suggestion. Sounds like something I should stock on a regular basis.

Port St Lucie, FL
Chug's enclosure has been taken over by extremely aggressive, vicious, small red ants. They swarm and attack if I, or Chug, get close to their "compound". I believe they are Southern fire ants.
I have read all posts in the archives re' ants, and this is what I have done.
I put Terro ant baits on the ground, then covered them with buckets so they are inaccessible to Chug. I also put Terro liquid in jars with holes in lids.
Then I researched, and found that fire ants are not "sweet eaters". I have ordered Amdro fire ant bait, and when it arrives, will pour some into the holes as @Tom suggested in an old post.
In the meantime, I have to get Chug out of there. I am too afraid they will find him in his burrow.
In the past, I tried him in the bathtub, but he went nuts trying to escape, even with a cardboard hide. I am going to try giving him the run of the quite small bathroom. There is nothing to get into on the floor, and I will put his small dog crate with him as a hide.
I can't fill the crate with dirt...do you think he will settle in on some towels? Or other suggestions welcome!
They are calling for 118 deg here next week, so since he lost his shade tree, maybe this will solve 2 problems.
The ant baits are supposed to work in about 2 weeks. I suppose he might reside in the bathroom for that long, if he will tolerate it.
Ideas? Critiques?
I live in south Florida the land of fire ants! Yes, Amdro is the best but its still poison. There are two other methods to try before poison, try taking ants from one pile on a shovel and place on top of another ant hill they are territorial and will fight it out to the death but that still leaves the queen for a later date. The other is pouring boiling water down the holes they come out of. The queen is the hardest to reach and the Amdro is brought to her immediately from her drones. I did successfully remove some ants with boiling water, but I must say I do use Amdo because everytime it rains when it dries there are ant mounds coming up out of the flooded ground. I must say not one pet has ever eaten it from dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, horses, they seem to know poison, don't know about tortoises. I should think that the torts hide is too tuff for a fire ant to bite but I guess one day I'll find that out my tort lives indoors now. Good Luck. Oh yeah the best cure for humans if you are bitten by the little monsters is Tea Tree Oil bought at any drug store, Walmart (cheaper) found in the supplements shelves alphabetical. Put on once or twice does the trick don't scratch!!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I should think that the torts hide is too tuff for a fire ant to bite

It would take many gallons of water all at once to have any effect.
I saw Chug get too close to a mound, and he RAN toward his burrow! He had lots of ants on him, on his neck and legs, under his shell where the skin is softer. I grabbed him and put him under the hose, then inside for a soak to get any I missed.
That was the day he came into the house until the ants are eradicated!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I just used diatomaceous earth - food grade - as that isn't poisonous to get rid of ants that were nesting just outside my door.
They weren't fire ants but it didn't take long before they had all gone.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just used diatomaceous earth - food grade - as that isn't poisonous to get rid of ants that were nesting just outside my door.
They weren't fire ants but it didn't take long before they had all gone.
Thanks, Lyn. I'm going to order some. In the meantime, the Amdro seems to be working.

Team BiGi

Southern california
I have never tried it on ant hills, but have killed many bugs and spiders using a propane torch. Perhaps you may be able to turn the gas on with no flame, stick the tip in the entrance and gas them out. Fill the holes with propane, for a couple minute, then quickly cover with dirt to keep the gas from escaping. Might take a few tanks though, depending on how many hills they have going. but they are less than 4 dollars each at home depot in the tool section. If you dont already have the torch tip for the tank, you can get a cheep one for about 10 bucks in the same tool section. Then go to the concrete section, and get you some rubber concrete books , which i beleive are also around 10 bucks to cover your feet when doing the job. They say vinigar is a repelant to aunts, so coat the boots with vinegar and get after them.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have never tried it on ant hills, but have killed many bugs and spiders using a propane torch. Perhaps you may be able to turn the gas on with no flame, stick the tip in the entrance and gas them out. Fill the holes with propane, for a couple minute, then quickly cover with dirt to keep the gas from escaping. Might take a few tanks though, depending on how many hills they have going. but they are less than 4 dollars each at home depot in the tool section. If you dont already have the torch tip for the tank, you can get a cheep one for about 10 bucks in the same tool section. Then go to the concrete section, and get you some rubber concrete books , which i beleive are also around 10 bucks to cover your feet when doing the job. They say vinigar is a repelant to aunts, so coat the boots with vinegar and get after them.
Wow! Now that's an interesting method! Never would have thought of that.
These ants have several smallish mounds, plus many holes directly into the ground. I don't think I could move fast enough.
My dad used to use a torch on tent caterpillars. Effective, but kind of gross.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I live in South Texas and we have fire ants as well as big red ants. I use diatomaceous earth and it works great. I even put it inside the dog houses to cut down on the fleas.
Ok, it seems diatomaceous earth is definitely on my "buy" list! Thanks!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Chug's enclosure has been taken over by extremely aggressive, vicious, small red ants. They swarm and attack if I, or Chug, get close to their "compound". I believe they are Southern fire ants.
I have read all posts in the archives re' ants, and this is what I have done.
I put Terro ant baits on the ground, then covered them with buckets so they are inaccessible to Chug. I also put Terro liquid in jars with holes in lids.
Then I researched, and found that fire ants are not "sweet eaters". I have ordered Amdro fire ant bait, and when it arrives, will pour some into the holes as @Tom suggested in an old post.
In the meantime, I have to get Chug out of there. I am too afraid they will find him in his burrow.
In the past, I tried him in the bathtub, but he went nuts trying to escape, even with a cardboard hide. I am going to try giving him the run of the quite small bathroom. There is nothing to get into on the floor, and I will put his small dog crate with him as a hide.
I can't fill the crate with dirt...do you think he will settle in on some towels? Or other suggestions welcome!
They are calling for 118 deg here next week, so since he lost his shade tree, maybe this will solve 2 problems.
The ant baits are supposed to work in about 2 weeks. I suppose he might reside in the bathroom for that long, if he will tolerate it.
Ideas? Critiques?
I've read somewhere that if you have a heat source low to the ground, that's why the ants make their home there. Because it's warm. If this is the case, I would put the heat source off the ground.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've read somewhere that if you have a heat source low to the ground, that's why the ants make their home there. Because it's warm. If this is the case, I would put the heat source off the ground.
This is an outdoor enclosure, so the only heat source is the sun. Actually, right now I wish I could turn it down some...115 to 120 every day this week!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok, everyone...
I have not seen an ant in 3 days. I think they are gone. I will check again this evening.
I have not seen the cat for 2 days (this was in another thread), but will double check this evening.
So, do you agree it's ok to put Chug back outside?
Temp is to only be around 106 tomorrow. Is there anything I should do to prepare him? His burrows are hot (mid 90's), but I might be able to cool them a bit with the break in temp. He's been in AC for a week now, but I believe he will be delighted to be back outside!

Team BiGi

Southern california
Ok, everyone...
I have not seen an ant in 3 days. I think they are gone. I will check again this evening.
I have not seen the cat for 2 days (this was in another thread), but will double check this evening.
So, do you agree it's ok to put Chug back outside?
Temp is to only be around 106 tomorrow. Is there anything I should do to prepare him? His burrows are hot (mid 90's), but I might be able to cool them a bit with the break in temp. He's been in AC for a week now, but I believe he will be delighted to be back outside!
Wow, that's pretty hot for his burrow, do you have shade covering each burrow?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow, that's pretty hot for his burrow, do you have shade covering each burrow?
You're right about that! It's never been that hot in them before. We had a week of temps 116-120, so they heated up.
There has always been shadecloth over one, the one he was not using.
The other did not have cloth over it, but it was ok. I have since put some over that burrow as well.
With the slightly lower temps, and well timed sprinkler schedule, the temps are back to mid 80's.

Port St Lucie, FL
We have fire ants in South FL too and I have horses, ducks, chickens, dogs, and a cat. I always use Amdro as it is the fastest best killer, none of my pets in over 20 years of using that have gone near or eaten any of it ever. Here we get the mounds after every rain soaks the ground so they come up and make the mound to escape the water and drowning. Smart little buggers. We need to eradicate both fire ats and mosquitos as I have never heard how either of these insects have any value in the food chain, in addition, the mosquito is a catapult for disease in humans and animals. Not sure what fire ants do other than eat me when I step in a mound or just because there are ants all over the place. I do not wear boots because when they climbed up on the boots or any shoe and sock its harder to get them off of me. I wear sandals or Crocks, come off quickly and can get the ants off much faster than wearing a shoe, and be ripping my socks off, by then I would have a dozen or more bites. I never thought of putting vinegar on the boots but I know that I will not be able to do that every day when I go outdoors, a great idea but not for just leaving the house which is our issue with ants. They are everywhere and those that know only buy Amdro. Just put a little on the mound and stomp your foot or anything to upset the ground and wake them up for a killer meal. They bring some food to the queen and kill her too.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We have fire ants in South FL too and I have horses, ducks, chickens, dogs, and a cat. I always use Amdro as it is the fastest best killer, none of my pets in over 20 years of using that have gone near or eaten any of it ever. Here we get the mounds after every rain soaks the ground so they come up and make the mound to escape the water and drowning. Smart little buggers. We need to eradicate both fire ats and mosquitos as I have never heard how either of these insects have any value in the food chain, in addition, the mosquito is a catapult for disease in humans and animals. Not sure what fire ants do other than eat me when I step in a mound or just because there are ants all over the place. I do not wear boots because when they climbed up on the boots or any shoe and sock its harder to get them off of me. I wear sandals or Crocks, come off quickly and can get the ants off much faster than wearing a shoe, and be ripping my socks off, by then I would have a dozen or more bites. I never thought of putting vinegar on the boots but I know that I will not be able to do that every day when I go outdoors, a great idea but not for just leaving the house which is our issue with ants. They are everywhere and those that know only buy Amdro. Just put a little on the mound and stomp your foot or anything to upset the ground and wake them up for a killer meal. They bring some food to the queen and kill her too.
Yes, I also found that bare feet in Crocs was the best for me. I kept the hose close by too, so spraying started even before the shoes were off.
I had met up with fire ants before, once in FL and once in TX, but they were larger and red. These were tiny critters, mostly black. The only way I identified them was because of their swarming and attacking behavior, and the "standing in boiling water" feel of them. [emoji33]

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Ants are decomposers, that is their role in the food chain!!! Is to clean up and take away all the dead matter!