Any one collect anything?

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
It hasn't happened yet, but it seems inevitable. I've got around 50 now, and some of them are super fast, aggressive and have "medically significant" venom. And for some species, the speed isn't measured by how fast they can move, we talk about how fast they can teleport.

I wouldn’t mind picking up another tarantula. They’re actually good pets. Don’t require a lot of care. But I have noticed they have gotten quite a bit more expensive. I think I picked up my 1.5 inch red knee for something like $30 at a reptile show. Good luck finding one for anywhere near that price now.

And no thanks to the jumpers. Yuck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn’t mind picking up another tarantula. They’re actually good pets. Don’t require a lot of care. But I have noticed they have gotten quite a bit more expensive. I think I picked up my 1.5 inch red knee for something like $30 at a reptile show. Good luck finding one for anywhere near that price now.

And no thanks to the jumpers. Yuck.
Just depends on the species and size. Some can be had for under $10. Others are $600 plus for a sling. The Mexican red knees are more expensive now because importation stopped and only captive bred ones are available now. They grow very slowly and take many years to mature and breed, so they cost more. They are also a very attractive, docile and desirable species. Supply and demand.

baldegale

Just depends on the species and size. Some can be had for under $10. Others are $600 plus for a sling. The Mexican red knees are more expensive now because importation stopped and only captive bred ones are available now. They grow very slowly and take many years to mature and breed, so they cost more. They are also a very attractive, docile and desirable species. Supply and demand.

the opposite thing has happened to ball pythons, albino BPs like 10-12 years ago were like $1.2k and now you can get them for $150-$200. theres so many new morphs constantly and so many breeders that the market is becoming saturated and people are lowering prices

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Now please don’t get offended. It’s history. This helmets 70+ years old. I find it so amazing to own a piece of history like this.
DD4C9BF6-B110-424C-9362-176D046ED560.jpeg

baldegale

Now please don’t get offended. It’s history. This helmets 70+ years old. I find it so amazing to own a piece of history like this.
View attachment 246042

i lived in my grandpas house after he passed away and he had some old WW2 memorabilia that he brought back from the war. i remember the lightswitch cover going down into the basement was a cast iron piece that he brought back and it had the bird carrying the swastika, i never realized it until the day we moved out

Erik Elvis

Delaware
i lived in my grandpas house after he passed away and he had some old WW2 memorabilia that he brought back from the war. i remember the lightswitch cover going down into the basement was a cast iron piece that he brought back and it had the bird carrying the swastika, i never realized it until the day we moved out

That’s cool. I’d love to collect again but it’s a minefield of fakes. You have to put a lot of time and effort in to be confident in what’s real.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

No one should be offended by a piece of history. It was an astounding and monumental time in human history. We need to study and remember the atrocities that occurred so that they are never repeated again. Pretending it didn't happen and hiding the signs of it helps no one. We kicked Nazi a$$ in that war. It came at a terrible price, but true evil was defeated. That helmet serves as a reminder of what was, what we accomplished and what should never be allowed to happen again.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Here’s about a 1/3 of my toy collection. It’s a mess in that room as I’m doing floors in the adjoining room. I really want to cut down on what I display but finding the boxes for everything I have put would be a pain in the arse

2B98CDEA-6776-4B3D-B14E-432A8A95D204.jpeg

Erik Elvis

Delaware
No one should be offended by a piece of history. It was an astounding and monumental time in human history. We need to study and remember the atrocities that occurred so that they are never repeated again. Pretending it didn't happen and hiding the signs of it helps no one. We kicked Nazi a$$ in that war. It came at a terrible price, but true evil was defeated. That helmet serves as a reminder of what was, what we accomplished and what should never be allowed to happen again.

Thanks Tom. I am astounded by people who want to destroy historical items. And collecting German stuff is fun. Everything they did was so elaborate. If you collect one Japanese uniform you basically have them all. And no way we would have won that war without Russia losing 20+million.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Besides turtles I collect different Minerals and Crystals. I've got a decent size collection of almost anything you can think of from common to rare]

Pretty cool. Would make good accent pieces when decorating. Depending on how expensive they are of course.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I own more than one of any one item, I have a collection! I have a bedroom dedicated to books, a bedroom dedicated to dolls, a tea pot collection, a coin collection, a stamp collection, a 78 rpm record collection. I have DVD seasons 1 through 6 of Wagon Train and buy the next season as money becomes available. I have all the DVD seasons of the Virginian. I have all the DVD seasons of Soap. Because of my turtle and tortoise rescue "hobby" I have quite the collection of used aquariums, lights, heaters, etc. I have a collection of scrap lumber. I have a very nice collection of cacti and succulents.

I'm sure there's more, but my brain is exhausted at the moment.

baldegale

If I own more than one of any one item, I have a collection! I have a bedroom dedicated to books, a bedroom dedicated to dolls, a tea pot collection, a coin collection, a stamp collection, a 78 rpm record collection. I have DVD seasons 1 through 6 of Wagon Train and buy the next season as money becomes available. I have all the DVD seasons of the Virginian. I have all the DVD seasons of Soap. Because of my turtle and tortoise rescue "hobby" I have quite the collection of used aquariums, lights, heaters, etc. I have a collection of scrap lumber. I have a very nice collection of cacti and succulents.

I'm sure there's more, but my brain is exhausted at the moment.

if youre feeling generous feel free to send some aquarium supplies my way [emoji6] im just getting in to the hobby hahahah!