Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is my phrynops hillari. She's about a foot long...maybe slightly longer:

07-05-12de.jpg

07-05-12f.jpg

LindaF

5 Year Member
Nice looking turtle! In the 1st picture she looks like she is smiling.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Was that animal burned at one point in time, or is the pigment loss natural?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love the first pic, what a cute mug and fantastic smile.:D
Puts a smile on your face when you look at her. Kinda looks like a toothless person smile:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She is naturally that color. I had two others that I loaned to the zoo and they were a more normal phrynops color. I didn't send them this one because she's so unusual-looking.

For those of you who've never seen this type of turtle before, this is what they normally look like:

images-2.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
emysemys said:
She is naturally that color. I had two others that I loaned to the zoo and they were a more normal phrynops color. I didn't send them this one because she's so unusual-looking.

For those of you who've never seen this type of turtle before, this is what they normally look like:

images-2.jpg

I have seen the more common ones. But yours, I would have kept that one back to. I just love that face. Could cheer you up on your worst day:)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Well, if you want that animal to ever go into a breeding program please contact me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was supposed to be my deal with the zoo, Eric. I had three females and our zoo had two males. I THOUGHT I was sending them two females on breeding loan and they would send me one male on breeding loan. However their managers changed and now they tell me that I "donated" my turtles to the zoo. When they came to pick up the turtles the fellow told me he would send me the paperwork for the breeding loan. I never received it, and being busy, quickly forgot all about it. If I had followed up right away, it probably would have been resolved with a better outcome. My fault.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
That was supposed to be my deal with the zoo, Eric. I had three females and our zoo had two males. I THOUGHT I was sending them two females on breeding loan and they would send me one male on breeding loan. However their managers changed and now they tell me that I "donated" my turtles to the zoo. When they came to pick up the turtles the fellow told me he would send me the paperwork for the breeding loan. I never received it, and being busy, quickly forgot all about it. If I had followed up right away, it probably would have been resolved with a better outcome. My fault.

Like I said, if the idea of letting it go comes around, let me know. I will hopefully have a group producing this year, or can get other animals from proven groups on loan to try and see if what that animal has going on is reproducable......

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She lives out in the neat big pond right? Did the females at the zoo ever produce?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, the first summer they had them, the original keepers were still working there, and they let me know that eggs were laid. The turtles live in the "rain forest" exhibit, and people are allowed to walk through there. The turtle nest was in a walk-way. I never heard any more about it.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
Yes, the first summer they had them, the original keepers were still working there, and they let me know that eggs were laid. The turtles live in the "rain forest" exhibit, and people are allowed to walk through there. The turtle nest was in a walk-way. I never heard any more about it.

Im sorry to hear they kept your turtles, I hate when things like that happen to good people, I think you should walk through the turtle exhibit and get them back

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That's just wrong that the zoo stole your others, always get it in writing.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I think I would go nuts. Stealing my animals just is not cool.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bigred said:
Im sorry to hear they kept your turtles, I hate when things like that happen to good people, I think you should walk through the turtle exhibit and get them back

With Yvonne's luck she would be caught stealing them and charged. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.