Babcocki vs pardalis?

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello, I have two leopard tortoises a little younger than 3 years old. I bought both of them at the same time and was told they were both Babcocki but I’m starting to have some doubts. I believe one of them could possible be a hybrid while the other is definitely a Babcocki. I recently discovered that both of them are boys but one of them tends to grow slower (they are in separate tanks), is more domed, lighter, and way more docile (kinda just doesn’t care). The other though is bigger, grows quite a bit faster, darker, and his personality is much more demanding/dominant. The main reason I thought they might be different genders is based off the fact that the smaller male has such a relaxed personality compared to the larger male I am starting to believe may be a Pardalis hybrid. He is way more rowdy than my other guy. I was just hoping for some opinions (I also attached photos to show the differences in their coloring).

Attachments

• 1DE87267-D3BE-47DB-A913-1F1042F9D78B.jpeg
    1DE87267-D3BE-47DB-A913-1F1042F9D78B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 87A3D59E-59F1-451B-A44B-550E0DB70BB8.jpeg
    87A3D59E-59F1-451B-A44B-550E0DB70BB8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 335BDD04-B649-4B96-8FC7-9FFFEDF496AA.jpeg
    335BDD04-B649-4B96-8FC7-9FFFEDF496AA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 9794DDD3-A186-4109-9207-7E177D7AE4E2.jpeg
    9794DDD3-A186-4109-9207-7E177D7AE4E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are beautiful whatever they may be. However, they should not be living in a tank. They need to be outside in their own enclosures. A tank unless special ordered and very large, room size, is way too small for them and you will have problems soon with digestion and possibly walking issues if you don't get them in a much much bigger enclosure.

Arizona
They are beautiful whatever they may be. However, they should not be living in a tank. They need to be outside in their own enclosures. A tank unless special ordered and very large, room size, is way too small for them and you will have problems soon with digestion and possibly walking issues if you don't get them in a much much bigger enclosure.
Thank you! I had tanks custom built for them and at this point they are still pretty small but I do agree. I plan to start an outdoor enclosure for both of them soon. Tbh I have kinda baby hands so they are a bit smaller than it appears 😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I have two leopard tortoises a little younger than 3 years old. I bought both of them at the same time and was told they were both Babcocki but I’m starting to have some doubts. I believe one of them could possible be a hybrid while the other is definitely a Babcocki. I recently discovered that both of them are boys but one of them tends to grow slower (they are in separate tanks), is more domed, lighter, and way more docile (kinda just doesn’t care). The other though is bigger, grows quite a bit faster, darker, and his personality is much more demanding/dominant. The main reason I thought they might be different genders is based off the fact that the smaller male has such a relaxed personality compared to the larger male I am starting to believe may be a Pardalis hybrid. He is way more rowdy than my other guy. I was just hoping for some opinions (I also attached photos to show the differences in their coloring).
Almost all of the leopards in this country are a genetic mix of several of the clades found in Africa. Your assessment/guess sounds logical and reasonable to me, but we are both just guessing. As Wellington said, they are both beautiful animals, and judging by the condition of the carapaces and lack of pyramiding, you've done an excellent job of raising them in a healthy way.