Bad dog!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD9981

5 Year Member
I just got a horrible scare. My 5" redfoot is in an enclosure on my back lanai. Today I noticed my 60 lb dog chewing something in the backyard about the time I noticed the giant hole in my screen! He had Houdini!! He had scratched through the screen to get him!! I ran out hoping to scare him off of him. He took off running w Houdini in his mouth!! I finally was able to get my poor now mud covered tort away from my dog. Rushed him inside for a warm soak to clean up and so I could inspect. He came rright out and was fine! No bleeding no shell damage!! I am sure he is rattled and I allowed him to soak for a while. I am sooooo mad at my dog. Now I will be working on solutions to keep not just my dog out but other animals!!! I never saw that coming. I am so upset! :-(

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Oh my gosh! I bet you were so scared!! I would of freeked out!!! I am so glad he is ok!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You should not be mad at your dog it's not his fault you just need to make Houdini's enclosure predator proof hope he is all right. it happens way to much dog's & torts do not mix

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
WOW ! It was very fortunate indeed, that you happened to catch him at just the right time. A valuable lesson learned without the usual dead or mutilated pet. Go buy a lottery ticket.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's one of the dangers of having other animals with torts. Dogs/cats may seem curious at the torts, but you can never trust them. I have a small lap dog, the friendliest dog you'd ever meet, and I let him watch my torts when I let them roam around the house. I am constantly keeping an eye on my dog because you can never tell if he'll bite my baby's head off just playing with him. So....lesson learned for all of us.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
glad your tort is ok. I have a dog too and she is scared stiff of my tort she shakes from head to toe when he is out in his pen and she she's him but i still would never trust her on her own out side while he is in the pen even though it's full covered a scared dog can be unpredictable as much as a dog that seems ok with them they can see them as a chew toy x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yagyujubei said:
WOW ! It was very fortunate indeed, that you happened to catch him at just the right time. A valuable lesson learned without the usual dead or mutilated pet. Go buy a lottery ticket.

Ditto.

JD, Ever heard of those "snake breaking" clinics? I've put on a few "tortoise breaking" clinics for dogs like yours...

JD9981

5 Year Member
Yes!! I never imagined he would go through the screen. Lesson deff learned. :-( I am just glad I learned it w my dog who i was able to stop and not another animal in the middle of the night that i never saw. I will be bringing him in at night until I get it straightened out.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Luckily you were there to save him:) that must have been a terrible experience.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Just made him my apology dinner. All his favorites except the hibiscus blossom (non on bush). Spring mix, grapes, carrot shavings, marigold flower and Mazuri.
Forget the feeling schedule Mommy is sooooo sorry!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
So glad your tort is ok.
I have wonderful dogs who seem fine around all my torts, however, I have learned on this forum, not to trust them. How could I? They are just dogs. It would be like trusting a young child to stay out of the street. You cant!:(
Im just happy for you. I know darn well, there will be no more accidents.
:)

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
So glad to hear everyone is unscathed! I recommend wire mesh to replace the screen. You can get it at any home improvement store and it is relatively inexpensive. That is what we use for the chicken coop (1/2" mesh) and it keeps all predators out. When we build our outdoor enclosure for our torts that's what we will use for them.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Geez, sounds like you were right on time, had you been five minutes late...well, you just never know. Glad it worked out.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I'm really glad your tort is fine. You are lucky and you shouldn't be angry with your dog, it's not his fault first hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.