Bathing an aldabra

TortyDxb

Location (City and/or State)
uae
So a daily 25 minute soak is going on in a big tub under a shower tap. I couldn't recommend this enough.

I think it is an excellent routine thing as it guarantees a drink (if needed) and, more often than not, a big old poop.

I have the water quite hot, hand in water feels hot to warm - but hot, and this allows them to come out after 25 minutes in warm water too. They come out quite active, up for eating and general mayhem.

I noticed if I switch the lights out in the shower room that they completely calm down in the tub.

Anybody have any thoughts on how deep the bath should be?

The poop stinks.

TortyDxb

uae
Thanks for that, I was overfilling the tub, in comparison to you, meaning they had to be standing for the entire 25 minute soak sort of. Not very nice.

TortyDxb

uae
~ We soak our hatchlings and yearlings daily in warm water that does not exceed past the lower portion of the necks.
View attachment 226506 View attachment 226507

I bathed them today and they were sooooo much happier with a lower water line, I feel like an idiot for not realising they would be. Thanks again. those bathes are a very clever daily routine for a host of reasons- not least that it encourages the owner to check out the animal at least once in a day/week.

TortyDxb

uae
An observation:

As the Aldabras in my care are just 4 inches long, and only 190-200 grams in weight each, they get a bathe in a tub, in the shower area of a bathroom, daily. Water is quite warm and the waterline is about 2 inches deep.

1. Placing a towel over the tub, keeps in moisture/humidity and warmth- and warm water lasts alot longer, but the towel also COMPLETELY pacifies them. No more trying to climb the sides of the tub etc. You only have to be sure the waterline is low, and they aren't able to flip. I'm confident they can't flip in this particular tub. But they do flip... so be sure.

2. A twenty minute soak doesn't guarantee that all of them poop, a forty minute soak/bathe does. Go long, and re fill the water if you are keen to keep it warm for them. They do seem to love it once they are settled.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They are amazing and seem to really like their soak!

TortyDxb

uae

Attachments

• 781979AF-C150-4C26-986A-06072AF4E4DA.jpeg
    781979AF-C150-4C26-986A-06072AF4E4DA.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 01A63B4B-AB75-4658-A247-A2F8FC6DCFC4.jpeg
    01A63B4B-AB75-4658-A247-A2F8FC6DCFC4.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: