Boys right?

blancka

So, i hav e asked quite a few times, and i never seem to get an answer :) Not just here, but overall on the forums im on.

I got two box turtle boys, atleast from what ive been told.
They just dont seem to have all the "male" features.
DSC_0390.JPG boy one?
DSC_0395.JPG boy two?
Their faces
DSC_0396.JPGboy one
DSC_0393.JPG boy two

Their tail is quite long, boy one got no red circles in his eye, just pure brown, and no markins on his skin.
Boy two got a red circle around his eyes, no markings on their skin. I dont know their age, but they have lived with me for around 1 year.

Edward and Alphones is their names :)

DSC_0390.JPG DSC_0395.JPG DSC_0396.JPG DSC_0393.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
post pics of the underside of each tail. we need to see the vent in relation to the tail. they still look a bit too young to know for sure.

blancka

S oo gonna be spamming right now :)
boy one -
DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0050.JPG DSC_0065 (1).JPG DSC_0064 (1).JPG
Boy Two -
DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0069 (1).JPG DSC_0070 (1).JPG

Better pictures? I hope so, i can from what i see, see that boy one is def. a boy? His shell is starting to have that concave portion (if that is the right explanation)

DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0050.JPG DSC_0065 (1).JPG DSC_0064 (1).JPG DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0069 (1).JPG DSC_0070 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Sorry- the pic should be the underside of the tail and the vent. I can't tell from these pics. the top guy i can sort of see a little bit that would make me believe it is a male. The bottom boy pics are not of the tail and vent.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
How big are these turtles? At this point tail/vent say female but they look awfully small. It very well could be too early to tell. All turtles look female until sexual maturity.

blancka

boy one - the biggest one weight about 125gram
and boy two the smallest one weight 100 gram.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
boy one - the biggest one weight about 125gram
and boy two the smallest one weight 100 gram.
Too small to have reached maturity. That's why they look female right now.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Boy # 2 has one sh@&#y grin on his face:) they look old enough to sex to me so I bet a full side shot of them would probably help answer the assumptions. Just a thought and of course more pics, lol! Really we all just want to see more pics, ha ha!

blancka

Dont really have good full side shot :( Sadly.
Boy One
DSC_0245.JPG
Boy Two
DSC_0207.JPG

Boy two runs away as soon as he sees me :D he makes a "wheezing" kinda sound and runs off. and the last day ive handled them way too much, so they will get a break for today :)

blancka

And again, i have no idea about their age. They have never hibernated, i was thinking of trying it out this winter. Ill have to do alot of reading on that subject :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
And again, i have no idea about their age. They have never hibernated, i was thinking of trying it out this winter. Ill have to do alot of reading on that subject :)
I know nothing about boxies, but yours are CUUUUUTE! I love that they have all that moss to walk on. I love moss!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Boy One
View attachment 178579
Boy Two
View attachment 178580

Boy two runs away as soon as he sees me :D he makes a "wheezing" kinda sound and runs off. and the last day ive handled them way too much, so they will get a break for today :)

Boy #1 is alittle smaller than I originally thought but I think both are males. Good looking turtles and looks like they are loving their cuttlebone!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
With bigger photos to look at, I'm thinking they might be male as well. The vent area is clearer and the vent seems to be past the shell which would indicate male. A females usually is closer to the body.

Also, I'm not sure about other boxie people but IME plastron is not always concave in the male three toeds.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Boy One
View attachment 178579
Boy Two
View attachment 178580

I would say both are 100% female. No coloring on the neck and no color in the eyes

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I have little to no knowledge of turtles of any kind BUT the 2 you have have the CUTEST faces ! :<3: