Building a table.. advice?

soph.h

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi all! Hope everyone had a good Christmas (if you celebrate).
I'm in the process of drawing up some plans for the enclosure I am going to build for my tortoise. I've done some looking and nothing commercially available is quite what I want. And besides, who doesn't love a project :)
he's only small (5 inches in length) but his current table is definitely too small. He's in the vivexotic one (90x40x20 I believe). That being said I'm a bit limited on space, so I'm thinking of doing a 2 tier table for him. I will attach the drawings I've done. It's similar to a few available on Etsy but the dimensions are done to fit the space I have available.
If this is still far too small, I'll move some stuff around and see what I can do.

does this look okay, sizing wise? Also has anyone got a 2 tier table?.. interested to know how other torts got on with them.
Any advice on building a table will be very appreciated!!

second photo is the individual pieces + dimensions.
in total this will give him approximately 1m^2 (10.5ft^2 ish) of space, compared to the 0.4m^2 (4.3ft^2 ish) he currently has.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Just popping in here to ask what type of tortoise are you building this for? Yes, there are lots of folks who use multi-tier enclosures for their torts (primarily Russian torts). I’m sure if you do some keyword searches in TFO you will find them. Hard to tell from your drawing, but Id say build it all as large as you can fit into your space. Larger is always better. No tortoise ever wants less space.

Good luck.

soph.h

England
Greetings. Just popping in here to ask what type of tortoise are you building this for? Yes, there are lots of folks who use multi-tier enclosures for their torts (primarily Russian torts). I’m sure if you do some keyword searches in TFO you will find them. Hard to tell from your drawing, but Id say build it all as large as you can fit into your space. Larger is always better. No tortoise ever wants less space.

Good luck.
He is a spur-thighed! To simplify as the drawings aren't too clear (sorry!!) the first tier would be 120x60x20 cm, and the second tier would be 40x60x20 cm :)
Thanks for the reply,

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hi all! Hope everyone had a good Christmas (if you celebrate).
I'm in the process of drawing up some plans for the enclosure I am going to build for my tortoise. I've done some looking and nothing commercially available is quite what I want. And besides, who doesn't love a project :)
he's only small (5 inches in length) but his current table is definitely too small. He's in the vivexotic one (90x40x20 I believe). That being said I'm a bit limited on space, so I'm thinking of doing a 2 tier table for him. I will attach the drawings I've done. It's similar to a few available on Etsy but the dimensions are done to fit the space I have available.
If this is still far too small, I'll move some stuff around and see what I can do.

does this look okay, sizing wise? Also has anyone got a 2 tier table?.. interested to know how other torts got on with them.
Any advice on building a table will be very appreciated!!

second photo is the individual pieces + dimensions.
in total this will give him approximately 1m^2 (10.5ft^2 ish) of space, compared to the 0.4m^2 (4.3ft^2 ish) he currently has.
Hi! I do not have a table for my Russian tortoise, but I do have a PVC enclosure with a ramp and loft area. The most important thing to remember is that the ramp needs to have a 1:2 rise. For every inch of height of the second story, you need 2 inches of ramp.

Good luck!

Last edited:

soph.h

England
Hi! I do not have a table for my Russian tortoise, but I do have a PVC enclosure with a ramp and loft area. The most important thing to remember is that the ramp needs to have a 1:2 rise. For every inch of height of the second story, you need 2 inches of ramp.

Good luck!
Ah brilliant!! Thank you!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Ah brilliant!! Thank you!
Also, My loft/ramp is a free-standing structure and not built in. It is a free-standing structure so I can take it out at any time to clean, replace the coco carpet, etc. It‘s just a PVC board base with PVC pipe legs. PVC caps were glued to the underside, and PVC piping lengths were inserted to create the legs. The ramp is hinged so I can lift it if necessary. I cut a piece of coco planter liner to fit the landing and ramp to give traction.