Bunny ear cactus ?

rayzzfish

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall
I'm just wondering I went and bought prickly pear cactus, but the store says they have no more in stock. They offered me bunny ear cactus. I was wondering would this be ok for my sulcata tortoise. Thanks for the help.. đź‘Ť

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm just wondering I went and bought prickly pear cactus, but the store says they have no more in stock. They offered me bunny ear cactus. I was wondering would this be ok for my sulcata tortoise. Thanks for the help.. đź‘Ť
I've never heard of that common name. What species of cactus is it? Is it spineless?

rayzzfish

Cornwall
Opuntia microdasys (angel's-wings, bunny ears cactus, bunny cactus or polka-dot cactus) is a species of flowering plant in the cactus family Cactaceae, native and endemic to central and northern Mexico.

EricW

Houston, TX
Opuntia microdasys (angel's-wings, bunny ears cactus, bunny cactus or polka-dot cactus) is a species of flowering plant in the cactus family Cactaceae, native and endemic to central and northern Mexico.
Always good to list/review the scientific name. Common names are used for various plants and not as reliable for identification. Any of the Opuntia ssp plants are safe and good to feed. Some have quite a few spines though. Opuntia microdasys is full of the little ones (glochid).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not feed that to a tortoise unless you have found a spineless variety.

EricW

Houston, TX
Can always do what they do with the more commonly eaten prickly pear. Put on gloves and rub the pads with something to get the glochids off. Or use a carrot peeler. Historically, people would rub the cactus pads on dirt or sand to get the spines off, rinse, and eat.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Can always do what they do with the more commonly eaten prickly pear. Put on gloves and rub the pads with something to get the glochids off. Or use a carrot peeler. Historically, people would rub the cactus pads on dirt or sand to get the spines off, rinse, and eat.
I use a metal colander to scrape them off. Works surprisingly well.

rayzzfish

Cornwall
If anyone knows where I can get prickly pear cactus in Canada please let me know. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a metal colander to scrape them off. Works surprisingly well.
How do you scrape the spines off a flat pad with a round bowl that has holes in it?

To everyone else reading: You can also singe or burn off the spines with an open flame.

dsglass

joshua tree
How do you scrape the spines off a flat pad with a round bowl that has holes in it?

To everyone else reading: You can also singe or burn off the spines with an open flame.
Using it kind of like a (very dull) cheese-grater: rub the pad along the outside of the colander, the spines catch in the holes and break off.