Chopmeat?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I buy venison and sweet potato in a can....a good quality dog food with no additives. There is NO such thing as a dumb question. You should see the questions I asked when I got my Cherry heads.
I am are you can you tell me what brand dog food that is?getting my little Boxturtle to eat something besides worms and crickets is still the hardest part. She just doesn't seem interested in anything else.

Manuela Green

Oklahoma
My three toe, was also in bad shape ... She did not want to eat at all...till we tried grasshoppers ... She loves her grasshoppers daily... And we offer grass some romain heart , cucumbers, carrots , fruits like berries, apples and tomatoes which is her favorite and gets her always back to eating...
I have just seen canned cat food or dog food listed on a few different places. At this point I just want her to eat dang it! Eat something besides protein that is. She came to me in pretty rough shape, see my other threads, so I am doing what I can. I don't know much about her background except that she is an adult three toed Boxturtle.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My three toe, was also in bad shape ... She did not want to eat at all...till we tried grasshoppers ... She loves her grasshoppers daily... And we offer grass some romain heart , cucumbers, carrots , fruits like berries, apples and tomatoes which is her favorite and gets her always back to eating...
Thanks. I have tried a lot of those but not grasshoppers. I don't really find any around here, do you feed her the canned ones? Should I try just offering one or two different kinds of food at a time or should I mix a bunch together? I am beginning to get stressed, it really bothers me when my pets don't eat. I spend much more time and money and effort into their food than I ever do mine.

Manuela Green

Oklahoma
Thanks. I have tried a lot of those but not grasshoppers. I don't really find any around here, do you feed her the canned ones? Should I try just offering one or two different kinds of food at a time or should I mix a bunch together? I am beginning to get stressed, it really bothers me when my pets don't eat. I spend much more time and money and effort into their food than I ever do mine.
No I do catch therm but I know you can buy crickets and they should work.. I feed everything fresh I buy for the tortoise organic tomatos and fruit also I feed fresh cut grass... Hope it helps ... Have a great week

Manuela Green

Oklahoma
F
No I do catch therm but I know you can buy crickets and they should work.. I feed everything fresh I buy for the tortoise organic tomatos and fruit also I feed fresh cut grass... Hope it helps ... Have a great week
forgot to tell you she also likes worms I buy therm at the feed-store at the fishing supply when I can't find any around the house... Mine did not like the dried once you can buy at the pet store...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The canned venison/sweet potato dog food is manufactured by Wellness. They never have it here in my area. I'm tempted to try to buy it online. It's $34 for 12 cans plus shipping.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There are a few dog and cat food manufactures that claim grain free and organic. Some canned, some in little 'nuggets' that must be kept refrigerated. Spend some time in one of the big box pet stores and read all the lables. Or search online. I use wellness in a very small % for some tortoises. I think it makes it smell like feces, and all tortoises eat feces, so yuck or not, it works. Box turtles eat carrion and feces too, so not too different.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I can get wellness here in my area easily. We have a pet store that sells high-end, good quality dog and cat food. including the raw and dehydrated. kind of nice for a town the small to have that.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I was wrong. The local store doesn't sell wellness but they do sell natures variety which is even better. They have a venison and sweet potato limited ingredient canned food that should work fine.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Let us know if she eats it when you try it. I may get some too :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
OMG! She actually ate it :) :) :)I just fed my box turtle natural balance brand limited ingredient venison with sweet potato canned dog food. .and she actually ate the stuff I am so excited. I think I will slowly combine it with other ingredients and then taper off of the dog food until I can get her to eat other things. UB! I know it's weird to be this happy about a turtle eating but when they don't eat much it's pretty exciting, excuse my overreaction here.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Lol! Its funny what we get excited about now huh :) my russian just took a poop and I was overjoyed....I don't know how this happened to me ;)
Are used to think the only dog people spent so much time worrying about, analyzing and discussing poop, but tortoise people do too :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't know what it is, but they always go for the venison. Now you should start adding some greens ( escarole dandelion) You can try some spring mix. Chop it up very small and add it to the venison. Mushrooms chopped up. Also some cooked carrot, mashed up. good for Vit. A. Add some chopped up fruit too...strawberries. Eventually you can add different things. This is how I start off the babies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make this mix once a week and always change the ingredients.

14b3zfq.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know what it is, but they always go for the venison. Now you should start adding some greens ( escarole dandelion) You can try some spring mix. Chop it up very small and add it to the venison. Mushrooms chopped up. Also some cooked carrot, mashed up. good for Vit. A. Add some chopped up fruit too...strawberries. Eventually you can add different things. This is how I start off the babies.
Well today she won't eat it :-( I'm going to keep trying it though.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You don't need to get her to eat chopped meat. You do need her to have a very varied diet.

Try overripe and wilted fruits and vegetables. Think windfall, anything that might be found on the ground. Red, yellow, orange, and highly scented.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You don't need to get her to eat chopped meat. You do need her to have a very varied diet.

Try overripe and wilted fruits and vegetables. Think windfall, anything that might be found on the ground. Red, yellow, orange, and highly scented.
I have tried those with no luck. I thought I would mix a little bit of the dog food in with veggies and spring mix etc. and probably chop up some worms too.and then I would wean off of the dog food completely and get her down to real food.