Chopmeat?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
She likes bananas but I don't feed them very often because somebody said not to. Every once in a while s he will eat a mushroom. I leave the food down for a couple days and then remove it. i've tried over ripe grapes and plums and cantaloupe with no luck and also tomatoes. Actually I've tried them all fresh and old :)she did eat a couple pieces of raw beef heart also so I plan on getting more of that too.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How much is an adult three toed Boxturtle supposed to eat in a day? I am getting very worried, I think she was thin when I got her and she definitely isn't gaining weight as far as I can tell. I am going to start weighing her. I usually put down a blob of food about the size of a golf ball to racquetball.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You can offer some wax worms with are a little fatty. As long as there is enough humidity and heat, she should start eating. Also, this time of year they slow down, no matter what kind of set up you have.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There is a random unpredictability to their food choices sometimes. So keep offering things even though they've been rejected. And yes, mix in good stuff with things you know will be accepted.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I appreciate everybody's input. This weekend I'm going to put hotter bulbs in and make the enclosure warmer. I'm going to try to make it sort of closed chamber like set up. I also plan on ordering some wax worms or butter worms. And some pill bugs. Carolina pet supply is going to love me :) I have a bunch of red wigglers but they are small. I really Am getting worried.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Mine love the butter worms. They are so expensive, so they don't get them too offen.
I just ordered some better worms. And a few wax worms. This definitely won't be an everyday thing they are expensive. Today I chopped up some pumpkin and spring mix and chopped up a couple nightcrawlers in there. yuck! I actually feel sorry for the worms almost :) she just walked away from it. Maybe she'll try some later. This is getting way more emotional then it should be :-( it's breaking my heart.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Where did you order worms from? I just got my three toe yesterday and he of course has not eaten yet......

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Where did you order worms from? I just got my three toe yesterday and he of course has not eaten yet......
Congratulations on your new Boxturtle! I order them from Carolina pet supply. I ordered red wiggler worms from think it was Jim's worm farm A month or so ago. did you start a new thread on your Boxturtle? I haven't been on here much today been pretty busy.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Congratulations on your new Boxturtle! I order them from Carolina pet supply. I ordered red wiggler worms from think it was Jim's worm farm A month or so ago. did you start a new thread on your Boxturtle? I haven't been on here much today been pretty busy.
I haven't yet but will later tonight :) I'm freaked out about him not eating lol.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I haven't yet but will later tonight :) I'm freaked out about him not eating lol.
I also ordered some pill bugs for the Boxturtle enclosure and the Russian enclosure. I wouldn't be stressed out yet, you haven't had a very long and he still settling in. I have hit the official stressed out mode though. I feel like a failure right now. I wish I could find something that she likes good enough that I could mix it with other things to start expanding her diet a little bit. But so far I haven't found anything.I am not sure what the ratio of meat to other things should be considering she is an adult. I know the babies eat mostly protein but the adults are supposed to eat a more varied diet and she obviously did not get that memo :)

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
He could be stressed out from being re-homed I'd give him a little bit. My boxie didn't eat for 5 days and lost a few grams but then he got hungry and now he's just eating and eating and in the past 2 days gained all his weight back

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
I also ordered some pill bugs for the Boxturtle enclosure and the Russian enclosure. I wouldn't be stressed out yet, you haven't had a very long and he still settling in. I have hit the official stressed out mode though. I feel like a failure right now. I wish I could find something that she likes good enough that I could mix it with other things to start expanding her diet a little bit. But so far I haven't found anything.I am not sure what the ratio of meat to other things should be considering she is an adult. I know the babies eat mostly protein but the adults are supposed to eat a more varied diet and she obviously did not get that memo :)
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to have like 10% meat 10% fruits and the rest greens and other veggies? I could be wrong though I'm still learning xD maybe try not to feed it meat until it gives in and eats it's normal food? I know how frustrating it is and I'm sorry I'm like no help at all. If it has a favorite fruit or food try to cut up all the food small and mush the fruit all over it?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I thought with adults it was closer to 50% protein. Right now I think she's running more at 95+ :-(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Has anybody had any luck with the zoo med forest tortoise food? I usually detest the idea of pellet food but damn I'm desperate here :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Here's my thing with dog food .... Most of it is not even healthy for dogs. Too much grain and fillers.
Go to a fishing store where they sell bait. Worms, crickets, grubs. All good and with right protein / amenorrhea acids.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Here's my thing with dog food .... Most of it is not even healthy for dogs. Too much grain and fillers.
Go to a fishing store where they sell bait. Worms, crickets, grubs. All good and with right protein / amenorrhea acids.
I am giving her all those things. I tried the venison dog food just to see if I can use it to start getting her to eat other things also. I planned on mixing it with the food.I don't even feed my dog dog food, I feed my dogs and cats raw food.