Coil bulbs

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Ok I haven't shared this story on the forum yet because I felt kind of stupid when it happened, but after seeing so many posts about it I felt I should share. I read about the coil lights causing problems with torts and other reptiles before I got my tort. There was many conflicting opinions and from what I gathered the problem with them had been fixed years ago. So stupidly, I decided they were fine, and because they are cheaper, I felt I would be ok with it. I had it mounted almost 18" above the enclosure. I brought my tort Murphy home and at first thought it would take him time to settle in. He was staying in his hide and not eating for about the first 3 days. I attributed this to him taking time to get adjusted. After 3 days I started to worry a little. I then noticed he wasn't opening his eyes at all. I would take him out and soak him, put him by his food and his eyes would barely open if at all. This went on for about a week before I realized "The light!" I immediately took the coil light out and replaced it with a regular bulb (40 watt non uvb) within 2 days Murphy's eyes were better and he was out and about exploring and eating. Out of curiosity I put the coil uvb light over my water turtles tank. Within 4 hours they quit basking and would only go to the top of thetank for air. I took the light out within 12 hours and they it away. I have no doubt this bulb was harming my torts.It might not be all of them but I can tell you it's DEFINITELY possible. Hopefully someone else will hear this story and learn to NEVER use these bulbs. Pictured is the bulb I used.

Edit: this took place January 2018

13-watt.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Like I said I felt pretty dumb and never shared before. However I felt the need because I see a lot of conflicting opinions and people saying they don't cause problems anymore, but I know from personal experience THEY DO!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ok I haven't shared this story on the forum yet because I felt kind of stupid when it happened, but after seeing so many posts about it I felt I should share. I read about the coil lights causing problems with torts and other reptiles before I got my tort. There was many conflicting opinions and from what I gathered the problem with them had been fixed years ago. So stupidly, I decided they were fine, and because they are cheaper, I felt I would be ok with it. I had it mounted almost 18" above the enclosure. I brought my tort Murphy home and at first thought it would take him time to settle in. He was staying in his hide and not eating for about the first 3 days. I attributed this to him taking time to get adjusted. After 3 days I started to worry a little. I then noticed he wasn't opening his eyes at all. I would take him out and soak him, put him by his food and his eyes would barely open if at all. This went on for about a week before I realized "The light!" I immediately took the coil light out and replaced it with a regular bulb (40 watt non uvb) within 2 days Murphy's eyes were better and he was out and about exploring and eating. Out of curiosity I put the coil uvb light over my water turtles tank. Within 4 hours they quit basking and would only go to the top of thetank for air. I took the light out within 12 hours and they it away. I have no doubt this bulb was harming my torts.It might not be all of them but I can tell you it's DEFINITELY possible. Hopefully someone else will hear this story and learn to NEVER use these bulbs. Pictured is the bulb I used.

View attachment 241228

What type of light fixture did you use the bulb in? A horizontal one or a cone dome one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

OOOOOooooohhhhhhhh no no no no no no……. Haven't you read all the arguments? These bulbs are completely safe, there is no scientific study to prove otherwise, Tom is a superstitious moron that doesn't know what he's talking about, and this problem is totally a figment of your imagination and doesn't really exist.

Thank you for sharing your experience here. I too hope this helps other tortoise keepers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What type of light fixture did you use the bulb in? A horizontal one or a cone dome one?
This is a good question, because I've heard that this type bulb is ok if mounted horizontally rather than vertically.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The fact that they CAN do damage is why we warn against all coiled CFL bulbs.
Not that they always do in every situation.
They are just not worth the risk when other, inexpensive options are available.
We have had many, many posts about eye issues that are or seemed to be directly linked to this type of light.
So why even try it once warned?
Thank you for a first hand experience.
Have you gone to florescent UVB tube?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The fact that they CAN do damage is why we warn against all coiled CFL bulbs.
Not that they always do in every situation.
They are just not worth the risk when other, inexpensive options are available.
We have had many, many posts about eye issues that are or seemed to be directly linked to this type of light.
So why even try it once warned?
Thank you for a first hand experience.
Have you gone to florescent UVB tube?
Oh ya I switched immediately, but for right now being that it's summer my tort goes outside when I go to work in the morning, and I bring him in at dusk. So all im using now in his enclose is a regular 40 watt incandescent bulb, and that's only on days when there is foul weather, and he can't go out.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
At least you'd read the arguments beforehand and had the common sense to realise it could be the bulb causing the problem before it got worse.
I'm glad you tort is OK now.
Thanks for the warning too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is a good question, because I've heard that this type bulb is ok if mounted horizontally rather than vertically.

I also have read lots about the fixture being the problem....the bulb is designed to be used in the horizontal position and not pointing like what happens in a dome fixture.

moriah2971

MS
Thank you for sharing your story. It is really useful to have a recent first hand account.

We dod see torts with eye problems too often on TFO and taking out CFL UVB is usually the fix.

I am somglad that all is well with your tort now.
This happened to us as well ?. We had the wrong lighting for about a month and then o found this forum. Sometimes his eyes will look a little cloudy. Is this permanent damage, shed? Etc

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What we refer to as "Coiled" bulbs come in many shapes.
Coiled, spiral and mini. I have no photo of the mini.
The fundamental issue is the same.

Attachments

• 20200130_110441.jpg
    20200130_110441.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200130_110436.jpg
    20200130_110436.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited: