COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My daughter got some internet in Canada while we were asleep last night.

She sent some pictures - she's working every day with Black Tailed Prairie Dogs like this
View attachment 171210

The pups are due to emerge soon, so the pictures should get cuter :)
How beautiful! Is this part of her studies or a full time job?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How beautiful! Is this part of her studies or a full time job?
She graduated last summer in Environmental Biology and Geography and had saved for a gap year. She's doing a 3 month internship working as Field Assistant on a research project on the prairie dogs. It will be good for her cv.

She's had to learn to sex them, feel if they're pregnant, milk them to see if they're lactating, etc!

The photo I posted is of a male who exasperates her and she loves in turn. He manages to get himself caught multiple times a day and drives the researchers nuts! :D

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
She graduated last summer in Environmental Biology and Geography and had saved for a gap year. She's doing a 3 month internship working as Field Assistant on a research project on the prairie dogs. It will be good for her cv.

She's had to learn to sex them, feel if they're pregnant, milk them to see if they're lactating, etc!

The photo I posted is of a male who exasperates her and she loves in turn. He manages to get himself caught multiple times a day and drives the researchers nuts! :D
What a fantastic opportunity and an unforgettable experience. I bet she's having a great time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Kelly had two Prairie Dogs about ten years ago as pets.
I made a very large cage for them that had several feet of shavings, some buried PVC pipe and a giant exercise wheel like hamsters would use. (Homebuilt and with ball bearings from a skateboard)
Those crazy things LOVE that wheel. They ran in it all day long. Prairie dogs seem so lazy, but they wanted to just run 24/7.
After about 4 years, the female passed away. The vet guessed it was a respiratory thing. Not long after that, the male became very aggressive. It got so bad that she had to use heavy leather gloves to work on the pen. We couldn't buy more females because a ban on selling them came into effect.
He died less than a year later.
They are fascinating animals. Very social and vocal. Sold in pet shops without anyone really seeming to know much about their needs.
They are again for sale in Florida. And people still buy just one.
It seems that they need to be in big groups. With loads of room.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Given they're about the size of cats and live in huge burrows in the wild, I would have thought that giving them adequate space, especially indoors, would be a challenge in anything other than a zoo.

You're right about them being social animals. They live in colonies. These black-tailed ones are endangered, so I really hope that nobody keeps them as pets.

The project my daughter is on is a collaboration between Calgary Zoo and the University of Saskatchewan to better understand them and how they breed.

They have been found to carry plague in the wild which might put a few pet keepers off... or maybe not, people keep rats and they can carry plague too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Busy day doing chores with my husband.

The gutters have been cleared and cleaned, the conservatory roof, patio and window frames have all been cleaned too - and I replaced our broken letterbox.

We're both shattered. Fish and chips for dinner is sounding good!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Busy day doing chores with my husband.

The gutters have been cleared and cleaned, the conservatory roof, patio and window frames have all been cleaned too - and I replaced our broken letterbox.

We're both shattered. Fish and chips for dinner is sounding good!
It sure does.
When can we come?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
good mornooning one and all! well wouldn't you know that job called yesterday to put off till today. ( at least he called this time) not expecting him to show but we'll see. i have a viewing for a neighbors car today! woohoo! so I'm up and getting organised as will try push for that job today if i can. must remain positive!!
spent all day yesterday sleeping after work, so also have housework to do.

hope everyone is well and happy :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Good morning. Another busy day of chores ahead here. Although the weather may not allow the big job... replacing the shed roof felt. (It was ripped off by the gales at Easter)

We're going to need work on Monday for a rest!

morning mum! how are we today ma'am? it's a good feeling when it's all done though isn't it :)