COLD DARK ROOM

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Yes, it can. I guess people never even acknowledged or knew about PTSD 14 years ago when I had the operations. There's been a lot of water under a lot of bridges and the trauma at that time was very real.

The memory that affected me most was a random act of kindness from another patient on the ward, but what that memory brought back was how much I wanted to just be out of pain and go home... and how much every twinge of my back makes me scared that it will all happen again.

It's probably going to take awhile to unpick it, but at least it has started :)

Baby steps. It sounds like you’re on the right track. Hugs to you! [emoji8]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I'm washing dishes, I rinse them then stack them on the drain board next to the sink, on a terry towel to drain before I dry them and put them away. This is Sterling after I've dried the dishes and put them away:

Sterling 5-1-18.jpg

She also loves for me to take my wet paper towel that I've just dried my hands on and give her a good once or twice over, especially around her face. I guess she thinks I'm her mama, giving her a bath.

I've had cats most of my life and Sterling is the first cat I've ever allowed on the table or on the kitchen counters. She just gives off the vibes that she can go wherever she wants, and it's her right. There's also a counter just opposite the sink, next to the stove, where I do most of my food prep, and I have been able to train her that that counter is NOT for cats. She never gets up there, thank goodness.

Good to hear you're getting better, Linda. Having pain of any kind is no fun.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good morning all. The wet and wind have returned... nowhere near as wet as Monday fortunately. This is a blip allegedly and things are due to steadily improve for the rest of the week.

I am off to Uckfield about an hour south of here in the county of Sussex... no, I didn't actually know where it was either... to be screened for this possible post-operative PTSD that may be the cause of the stress that makes my back issues worse. It's worth a try. Having read up about it, there are many ways that I appear to tick the boxes.

Good luck, Linda! Despite the funny name :rolleyes: , hope you’ll be in good hands.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Greetings all. Our cold, windy, wet Spring is quickly giving over to Summertime temps. Close to record high temps forecast for both today and tomorrow. Should be o/a 90 both days.... from tooo wet and cold to tooooooo hot/humid. Early morning and late evening now the best times for outdoor activities. But, can’t complain.

That is pretty hot. Make the best of it!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I’m back. I had an emotional time with the therapist. My reactions are “classic PTSD”... apparently he gets quite a few patients who have been involved in bad car accidents and the like.

Anyway there’s been a lot of tears and now I feel completely wiped out. I am back there next week.

Oh dear. Hope it will start to help soon. Were you even aware you were having PTSD?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
When I'm washing dishes, I rinse them then stack them on the drain board next to the sink, on a terry towel to drain before I dry them and put them away. This is Sterling after I've dried the dishes and put them away:

View attachment 237438

She also loves for me to take my wet paper towel that I've just dried my hands on and give her a good once or twice over, especially around her face. I guess she thinks I'm her mama, giving her a bath.

I've had cats most of my life and Sterling is the first cat I've ever allowed on the table or on the kitchen counters. She just gives off the vibes that she can go wherever she wants, and it's her right. There's also a counter just opposite the sink, next to the stove, where I do most of my food prep, and I have been able to train her that that counter is NOT for cats. She never gets up there, thank goodness.

Cute! You’re a mama to so many different species! :)
I’m impressed she’s learned to respect some boundaries. Usually they just do whatever they want, so maybe it’s her way to show you respect. :<3:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oh dear. Hope it will start to help soon. Were you even aware you were having PTSD?
No. I don't think they'd invented it 14 years ago. I do worry about my back and I do worry that I will be incapacitated by it permanently... I said on here that I am desperate nevrr to have to undergo further surgery... but I thought it was normal and the impact of that worry is making matters worse.

To me PTSD was something suffered by people in warzones, not something that ordinary folk can have after (admittedly very rough) experiences in hospital.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 237438

Lol. I was going to say that she obviously prefers a wet dish towel to having to use her own tongue.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
No. I don't think they'd invented it 14 years ago. I do worry about my back and I do worry that I will be incapacitated by it permanently... I said on here that I am desperate nevrr to have to undergo further surgery... but I thought it was normal and the impact of that worry is making matters worse.

To me PTSD was something suffered by people in warzones, not something that ordinary folk can have after (admittedly very rough) experiences in hospital.

I really hope all this helps and at the very least lessens the pains you occasionally have. It’s good you’re aware now of this other side of the problem. [emoji173]️

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Are the rains falling, Carol? How’s the water situation now?
Still level 6 restrictions. There was a little bit of rain but not alot. I think it would need to rain everyday for quite a while before they lift the restrictions. On the other hand they have stopped broadcasting doomsday for a while now. Day zero was moved to next year but we are still not out of the woods. But the broadcasting was hurting the tourism trade which is why I think they stopped broadcasting the message all the time.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
There's been something in our news about somone hatching a plan to tow an iceberg to Cape Town to relieve the water problem!
Now that would be interesting to see. I work next to a canal and when it rains the canal gets full. The sad thing is the water is running out to sea which does not help at all.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Now that would be interesting to see. I work next to a canal and when it rains the canal gets full. The sad thing is the water is running out to sea which does not help at all.
The water has to run out to sea though. Without that happening the whole ecosystem gets even more upset. I suspect massive and swift investment in desalination plants is the only long term solution