COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
No. I don't think they'd invented it 14 years ago. I do worry about my back and I do worry that I will be incapacitated by it permanently... I said on here that I am desperate nevrr to have to undergo further surgery... but I thought it was normal and the impact of that worry is making matters worse.

To me PTSD was something suffered by people in warzones, not something that ordinary folk can have after (admittedly very rough) experiences in hospital.
It is one of the reasons why i just accept the pain and manage it with pain killers. Because if the first op didn't work why would a second and third help. Besides I don't have 6 weeks leave available to do it again. It was very painful after the first op and very frustrating. I can at least carry on a normal life this way even though it is at a slower pace. I do sometimes worry that I might be becoming addicted to the pain killers but that is something I will have to deal with if I ever get to the point where I don't need them anymore. But quite honestly I don't think that will ever actually ever happen.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The water has to run out to sea though. Without that happening the whole ecosystem gets even more upset. I suspect massive and swift investment in desalination plants is the only long term solution
They have to come up with something. Personally I cannot take this on a long term basis anymore. It does not do my back any good. Doing laundry is a nightmare. My cushions for my couch have been regulated to staying outside so that the rain and sun can take the pee smell out because i cannot give them a decent wash. I really miss being able to have a warm bath just to soak my aches and pains away. The cost of living in Cape Town is becoming very high. What with the government raising the VAT from 14% to 15% - Capetonians have the added costs of water on top of the normal day to day expenses that the rest of the country has to pay. Salaries in Cape Town are lower than other parts of the country, the cost of houses whether you own or rent is higher etc. Electricity is higher. I really don't know how the poor survive.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is one of the reasons why i just accept the pain and manage it with pain killers. Because if the first op didn't work why would a second and third help. Besides I don't have 6 weeks leave available to do it again. It was very painful after the first op and very frustrating. I can at least carry on a normal life this way even though it is at a slower pace. I do sometimes worry that I might be becoming addicted to the pain killers but that is something I will have to deal with if I ever get to the point where I don't need them anymore. But quite honestly I don't think that will ever actually ever happen.

I couldn’t actually walk before my first op or after it which is why an immediate second op was necessary. That’s the situation I worry about... dreadful pain and being unable to move.

Most of the last 14 years has been pretty trouble free to be honest. It’s reminding my brain that that has been the case that’s necessary [emoji849]

I know the painkiller thing too. I definitely was hooked in hospital. The stuff I was being given would have tranquillised an elephant. As I recovered from the second op I became aware that I was taking the painkiller because I needed it, but there wasn’t actually any pain that needed it. I came off them there and then... it wasn’t pleasant.

I have been over-cautious with taking them since undoubtedly to my detriment.

These decisions are never easy. And it seems many of us (Dan, Laura, You, Me in the CDR to start with) are having to cope.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They have to come up with something. Personally I cannot take this on a long term basis anymore. It does not do my back any good. Doing laundry is a nightmare. My cushions for my couch have been regulated to staying outside so that the rain and sun can take the pee smell out because i cannot give them a decent wash. I really miss being able to have a warm bath just to soak my aches and pains away. The cost of living in Cape Town is becoming very high. What with the government raising the VAT from 14% to 15% - Capetonians have the added costs of water on top of the normal day to day expenses that the rest of the country has to pay. Salaries in Cape Town are lower than other parts of the country, the cost of houses whether you own or rent is higher etc. Electricity is higher. I really don't know how the poor survive.

Do you see yourselves moving away?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I couldn’t actually walk before my first op or after it which is why an immediate second op was necessary. That’s the situation I worry about... dreadful pain and being unable to move.

Most of the last 14 years has been pretty trouble free to be honest. It’s reminding my brain that that has been the case that’s necessary [emoji849]

I know the painkiller thing too. I definitely was hooked in hospital. The stuff I was being given would have tranquillised an elephant. As I recovered from the second op I became aware that I was taking the painkiller because I needed it, but there wasn’t actually any pain that needed it. I came off them there and then... it wasn’t pleasant.

These decisions are never easy. And it seems many of us (Dan, Laura, You, Me in the CDR to start with) are having to cope.
Yesterday I was so busy i forgot to take them and I hadn't taken the lunch time dose the day before either. So last night I was very sore. I couldn't take it late as mine tend to wake me up. Anyway I do know that i need them as i definitly feel it when i don't take them. But I believe an addiction can also make your body give false symptoms. Oh well for now they seem to do the trick. I am hoping the osteopath will get me to a point where I dont need to take them.

Last edited:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Do you see yourselves moving away?
Unfortunately at this point no. Stephen my husband has said he won't move. I have wanted to for a long time to try and move to the UK on an ancestory visa. As I think my boys will have better opportunities then they will have here. My father lives in the UK and my eldest sister moved there on an ancestory visa. But he doesn't want to. So Cape Town is where we will stay. That doesn't mean that it won't happen though as you can never predict the future.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Thank goodness I wasn't as bad as that. There have been occassions where I sometimes felt that it would be easier and less painful to be paralysed because then I would at least not feel the pain. Then I become sane again and re think that thought. I know it is terrible to think like that because that would come with it's own set of problems. But sometimes the battle everyday drives a person insane.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank goodness I wasn't as bad as that. There have been occassions where I sometimes felt that it would be easier and less painful to be paralysed because then I would at least not feel the pain. Then I become sane again and re think that thought. I know it is terrible to think like that because that would come with it's own set of problems. But sometimes the battle everyday drives a person insane.

And I completely understand. At least electronic hugs don’t hurt :)

DE42

Turtles and tortoises has some really cute baby ornate box turtles for sale. But I have read several bad reviews from there so I'm not going to get one. Also I'm not 100% on the legality of owning then here. They are also native to this area. But anyways, I hope you all are doing well today.