COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Kinda sad that we are related [emoji22]
Here’s a text from my sister.
This has turned into a rescue rather than a gift. I know she’s very busy and I guess the tort isn’t a priority.
He will be spoiled here!!

View attachment 241088

Good you’re getting him! He’ll taste food for a change. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe I will. She has offered before but it just never happened.

After I drink my coffee I’ll head out and see what I can do.

I might be able to use a part of the Sulcata enclosure in a corner.
Do you think that would be safe?
Depends upon how sturdy you make it. Germ wise, it should be ok if there's no poop in there. Water it real good to wash away any sulcata residuals.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Depends upon how sturdy you make it. Germ wise, it should be ok if there's no poop in there. Water it real good to wash away any sulcata residuals.

Not enough room in the desert section but I found a 15x6 where the Sulcata never poops!! He actually poops in his night box 99% of the time [emoji51].
It’s all dirt but it’s only for a couple of weeks.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
I don`t like raven or crows. They are able to get to the nests of smaller birds and eat the eggs or the young birds. In Germany they are protected by law and the number of them is getting more and more because they have no natural enemies / predators.
I usually have crows living in my disused chimney all year around - they have been there for years and years and I can usually hear the chicks calling, but this year they seem to have abandoned their nest - there is no sign of them. It's quite a mystery.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good afternoon/evening all I hope you have all had a good Weds - it's all downhill to the weekend now!:)
It's been scorching here again.
This prolonged dry weather is very unusual for Wales.
We could do with a good downpour to dampen the dust and cool things down.....not many would agree with me though!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Banana trees are unlikely to survive the German winter any more than they'd survive ours!

Yes, same here. Thats why i need to bring them in, they are cold hardy to a point, but won’t survive a long time below 0c/32f. The stocks are fully water logged all the time, do once it’s “freezing” and they are not growing, in the come. But. All Summer long they are happy.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning CDR!
So I’m driving 6 hours on Friday to see my niece graduate from high school and my sister wants me to take her desert tortoise home.
I just don’t feel ready to add another and the following weekend I’m going out of town so I’m not sure I have enough time to put up a temporary pen for him.
I just don’t know what to do. I wish I would have known a couple of weeks ago so I could plan.
6 hours is a long drive. Good luck with that. How many torts do you already have? Could you not temporarily divide the enclosure you have or will that be too small.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
6 hours is a long drive. Good luck with that. How many torts do you already have? Could you not temporarily divide the enclosure you have or will that be too small.

6 hours is long!! It’s just my son and I this time. I’m thinking of just using a plastic container with newspaper on the bottom or maybe a bit of dirt.
I found the perfect spot.

Just adding shelter but I have to dig and fill with water because the ground is so hard around here. I’m just using a flower pot on it’s side so I’m trying to get it in the ground a bit.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternoon/evening all I hope you have all had a good Weds - it's all downhill to the weekend now!:)
It's been scorching here again.
This prolonged dry weather is very unusual for Wales.
We could do with a good downpour to dampen the dust and cool things down.....not many would agree with me though!
Lol. We have 6 - 10c mornings then it goes up to 25 - 27c during the day then back to really cold at night. Crazy crazy crazy.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
6 hours is long!! It’s just my son and I this time. I’m thinking of just using a plastic container with newspaper on the bottom or maybe a bit of dirt.
I found the perfect spot.

Just adding shelter but I have to dig and fill with water because the ground is so hard around here. I’m just using a flower pot on it’s side so I’m trying to get it in the ground a bit.
Well done. [emoji1] [emoji1]