COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
@Kristoff :

This is a young 'volunteer' almond tree in my manure pile, about 5' tall. I guess a bird dropped an almond as he was flying by. Anyway, the almond you see in the picture grew out of the center of a blossom. When the nut is ripe, in the fall, the green outer hull starts to shrivel, opens and the nuts (still in their outer shell) fall to the ground:

View attachment 241001 View attachment 241002 View attachment 241003
I so wish I had an almond tree. My youngest and I both love almonds. And it would be so much healthier to eat them direct from a tree than shop bought. Lol.
Love the pictures and education on Almond trees. Very interesting.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Maybe[emoji28]
I call the raven, Gimpy, because he walks with a prominent limp. He has been here most of the year and likes to follow my hubby around when he is mowing to catch bugs and watches me when I'm weeding cause I toss grubs out into the driveway which he eats as soon as he thinks I'm not looking..
Ha Ha Ha, That is so cute.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
This is a stand of banana trees that i keep growing in a large plastic nursery tub, i think it is about a 65-70 gallons. Started from a little pup thst i ordered from a guy in north or south carolina i think. Anyhow....i water and fertilize all summer long, but unfortunately have to cut them back and drag the entire thing into our garage in the Fall to keep them from freezing. A process, just like everything.
Sounds Like a lot of work!:eek:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thank you so much Carol. I hope you are feeling better today.:)
Thank you Sabine, cold wise, it changes depending on the time of day. Aches and pains wise - today I am feeling it, a bit more. It is the niggling kind of pain where you don't know what to do with yourself. And no matter what you do, does not change. Sigh. One day at a time.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Your banana tree is beautiful. You can buy tiny bananas plants in Germany too, to keep them as a nice tropical accessoir in your house. No chance to grow them outside.:(
Why not grow them outside? Other than feeding some of the leaves to your torts, how will you get any bananas if you cant grow them outside?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I'm a bit late popping in but in the middle of writing reports so a bit busy.
Lola had her bloods taken again, the vet thinks he is looking well and because he is eating better and very active, she has suggested I wait for the blood results before booking a scan which I suppose makes sense and I don't want Lola pulled every which way unnecessarily. So it's a waiting game again - hopefully not as long as last time.
Hope you have all had a good Tuesday.
I'm going to do some ironing now so will not see you tomorrow.
Nos Da and take care.
It does make sense and would be easier on your pocket if they can determine what is wrong from the blood tests. Good luck and I will be waiting patiently by your side for the results and some good news.
Ironing does not sound so nice though, so good luck with that. I hate hate ironing. Sleep tight and not chat later today.:p

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all. Wednesday today and I have a long meeting about an our from here in a place called Ashford.

My back really responded well to physio yesterday. I slept on my side for the first time in months! I hope the meeting doesn’t undo it.
Yay on the physio and boo on the meeting. I hope your back plays "nice" for you.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning, roommates!
Caught up with the posts. Time to clean my corner of the CDR. :( Take care, you all. :<3:
No playtime today?:( Don't forget to dust the corners as I am sure that there a lots of spiderwebs by now from the woolspider (if she exists):D. Not chat later when you are done. I will have to come and do an inspection to see if you did a proper job.;)

Bee62

Germany
When I was young, my sisters, brother and I used to stand around the piano and sing the oldies my dad played for us. He had the sheet music, so we could read the words. In those days, the oldies were REALLY oldies. . . this was way back in the '40s. I had a pretty good singing voice and could carry a tune quite well, plus I had the correct rhythm. As I got older and started singing less and less, I lost my singing voice. I still have the rhythm and can sing the right note, but the voice is not there. Moral to the story, Bee, don't stop singing. Unless you use it, you lose it!

Going out now with my camera for @Kristoff
No, I will never stop singing because I really, really love it and it is a good breathing training.:)
It sounds very cozy to me singing together with your father, brother and sisters to the sound of a piano. Which Oldies did you sing ? Maybe I know some of them.
Do you know "Smoke gets in your eyes" , The Platters ?

Bee62

Germany
Maybe[emoji28]
I call the raven, Gimpy, because he walks with a prominent limp. He has been here most of the year and likes to follow my hubby around when he is mowing to catch bugs and watches me when I'm weeding cause I toss grubs out into the driveway which he eats as soon as he thinks I'm not looking..
I don`t like raven or crows. They are able to get to the nests of smaller birds and eat the eggs or the young birds. In Germany they are protected by law and the number of them is getting more and more because they have no natural enemies / predators.