COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I have been trying to post the below on the get a grip thread but it does not want to post. [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] is it me or the thread that is not allowing me to post?

Since this a warning to newcomers about this forum and you obviously want newcomers to read your warning I will thank you very nicely for giving me the opportunity to use this thread as a testament of what this forum has done for me instead. Then the newcomers can read it all and make up their own minds on whether they want to follow the advice on this forum and keep healthy and thriving tortoises or to not follow the advise and have a tortoise who either only survives or gets sick and dies.

So here goes my story. Last year on the 31 May 2017 little Rue came into my life. I had absolutely no clue on how to look after Rue. I of course googled all sorts of websites with info etc. I kept Rue in a little table with sand and grass. I thought I had it sorted. But I had sand in my table a coil uvb bulb, small little waterbowl and obviously did NOT have it sorted. I then joined TFO and had people to discuss things with. People who I could ask questions and get answers from. Have a normal discussion with. Then little Kang, Clark and Harry all come into my life this year. And I have been raising them under the care advise from this forum. And let me tell you...the difference of how these three are doing and their growth rates compared to Rue (who was raised incorrectly for 6 months and was probably only surviving) is miles apart. I do not ever regret following the advise given here and will carry on doing so. Yes they may not be biologists or vets for that matter but they are caring people who most probably don't care about the owner of the tortoise but they do care about the tort. They are constantly learning in the school of life (a torts life). And Yvonne is one of the nicest people I have gotten to know on here. So by all means put your warning here but i hope that other people will take this opportunity to post some of their stories of how TFO helped them with the care of their tortoises. Making it possible for any newcomers to make up their own minds on whether they want to follow your advice or the advice from people who have the well being of my tortoises in their hearts.
Bravo Carol!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
IMG_20180606_154422.jpg

I didn't realize how unhappy Lil Missy Kitty was with Sterling living in the house here. Now that Sterling is gone Missy is all over me. The picture is of her sitting next to me in my recliner, and she does this several times a day. She follows me around the house too.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
View attachment 241119

I didn't realize how unhappy Lil Missy Kitty was with Sterling living in the house here. Now that Sterling is gone Missy is all over me. The picture is of her sitting next to me in my recliner, and she does this several times a day. She follows me around the house too.
I'm not a cat person, but she is beautiful Yvonne and obviously enjoying your undivided attention.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
No idea Carol.
I noticed the crows were missing from my roof a couple of weeks ago, they have just disappeared.
Every year I think about evicting them and putting a guard on the pot but then they have chicks or I worry about where they would spend the winter so I've let them stay.
This is very strange - I miss my lodgers!
I would too.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Bravo Carol!
Aashhh thank you. I thouight very carefully about that and on how to counteract what he was saying. And came up with the plan on what would be the best way to debunks his nastiness. I couldn't post it there so i have opened up a new thread asking people to write their stories. So if you all could go and write your story of what you did wrong until TFO and then corrected your care based on the advice given here i would really appreciate your support.
Thanks guys [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji120] [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji8]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 241119

Oh shame poor kitty. She missed her mama. But now she has her back.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Aashhh thank you. I thouight very carefully about that and on how to counteract what he was saying. And came up with the plan on what would be the best way to debunks his nastiness. I couldn't post it there so i have opened up a new thread asking people to write their stories. So if you all could go and write your story of what you did wrong until TFO and then corrected your care based on the advice given here i would really appreciate your support.
Great idea I have just added my story.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Just did mine!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Still here for now. Although the eyes are starting to close.
MIne too but its very warm still, so the fan will be on and although I'll be cooler the noise from it will keep me awake - can't win!!!
Will have to put my earphones in and play some music to drift off to.

Last edited: