COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
I have been trying to post the below on the get a grip thread but it does not want to post. [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] is it me or the thread that is not allowing me to post?

Since this a warning to newcomers about this forum and you obviously want newcomers to read your warning I will thank you very nicely for giving me the opportunity to use this thread as a testament of what this forum has done for me instead. Then the newcomers can read it all and make up their own minds on whether they want to follow the advice on this forum and keep healthy and thriving tortoises or to not follow the advise and have a tortoise who either only survives or gets sick and dies.

So here goes my story. Last year on the 31 May 2017 little Rue came into my life. I had absolutely no clue on how to look after Rue. I of course googled all sorts of websites with info etc. I kept Rue in a little table with sand and grass. I thought I had it sorted. But I had sand in my table a coil uvb bulb, small little waterbowl and obviously did NOT have it sorted. I then joined TFO and had people to discuss things with. People who I could ask questions and get answers from. Have a normal discussion with. Then little Kang, Clark and Harry all come into my life this year. And I have been raising them under the care advise from this forum. And let me tell you...the difference of how these three are doing and their growth rates compared to Rue (who was raised incorrectly for 6 months and was probably only surviving) is miles apart. I do not ever regret following the advise given here and will carry on doing so. Yes they may not be biologists or vets for that matter but they are caring people who most probably don't care about the owner of the tortoise but they do care about the tort. They are constantly learning in the school of life (a torts life). And Yvonne is one of the nicest people I have gotten to know on here. So by all means put your warning here but i hope that other people will take this opportunity to post some of their stories of how TFO helped them with the care of their tortoises. Making it possible for any newcomers to make up their own minds on whether they want to follow your advice or the advice from people who have the well being of my tortoises in their hearts.

That’s a beautiful story, Carol!
Was it the same troll who was too frustrated that TFO did not confirm his outdated, incorrect approach? How unfortunate for the torts. :(

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I think "meatball" is the one who needs to get a grip. Funny how we can go along for weeks or months, just sailing along contentedly and then all of a sudden we get a poop disturber like him come along and cause trouble. Not everyone agrees with everything said here, but at least they don't fight about their disagreeing. Does he really think that we're all going to say, "Oh my gosh, Meatball! You're so right!!! Why didn't I see it before you so smoothly enlightened us?"

He’s just venting his frustration about being wrong. Some people can’t stand it, even if another being’s life is involved. :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Aashhh thank you. I thouight very carefully about that and on how to counteract what he was saying. And came up with the plan on what would be the best way to debunks his nastiness. I couldn't post it there so i have opened up a new thread asking people to write their stories. So if you all could go and write your story of what you did wrong until TFO and then corrected your care based on the advice given here i would really appreciate your support.
Thanks guys [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji120] [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji8]
I'm sorry. I just got cross with him and told him to grow up.

I have never done that on a forum before. I'm a moderator on my IT forum and would never dream of it. I ca!e pretty close the morning after the Brexit referendum which was a very unusualday of anarchy and misbehaviour there. I have felt pretty annoyed here on occasion, but have always tried to apply my calm and collected moderator head to my posts. Apart from telling him to grow up and the "Don't feed the troll meme", I wasn't that bad, but still nothing to be proud of.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
No idea Carol.
I noticed the crows were missing from my roof a couple of weeks ago, they have just disappeared.
Every year I think about evicting them and putting a guard on the pot but then they have chicks or I worry about where they would spend the winter so I've let them stay.
This is very strange - I miss my lodgers!

Do you hear them walk across your ceiling in the mornings?
We had crows in Turkey, always trying to make a nest behind the AC box. They made so much noise! Usually shooing them worked, but this year we moved away and on our visit last month I saw a huge nest behind the AC box. Guess they outlasted us after all. :D

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
View attachment 241119

I didn't realize how unhappy Lil Missy Kitty was with Sterling living in the house here. Now that Sterling is gone Missy is all over me. The picture is of her sitting next to me in my recliner, and she does this several times a day. She follows me around the house too.

She has a beautiful face, Yvonne. Doesn’t look very “lil” anymore, but definitely content! :)

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Aashhh thank you. I thouight very carefully about that and on how to counteract what he was saying. And came up with the plan on what would be the best way to debunks his nastiness. I couldn't post it there so i have opened up a new thread asking people to write their stories. So if you all could go and write your story of what you did wrong until TFO and then corrected your care based on the advice given here i would really appreciate your support.
Thanks guys [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji120] [emoji8] [emoji8] [emoji8]

Will do. ;)

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm sorry. I just got cross with him and told him to grow up.

I have never done that on a forum before. I'm a moderator on my IT forum and would never dream of it. I ca!e pretty close the morning after the Brexit referendum which was a very unusualday of anarchy and misbehaviour there. I have felt pretty annoyed here on occasion, but have always tried to apply my calm and collected moderator head to my posts. Apart from telling him to grow up and the "Don't feed the troll meme", I wasn't that bad, but still nothing to be proud of.

I haven’t read the recent posts, but what you say sounds very fair. Is that the English way of losing temper? :p ;)

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good mornooning, roommates! In the afternoon we’re going to a storytelling event, a part of which will be making elderflower cordial. I didn’t know what it was even when I signed up, so this is what it is —

“Elderflower cordial is a soft drink made largely from a refined sugar and water solution and uses the flowers of the European elderberry, (Sambucus nigra L.). Historically the cordial has been popular in North Western Europe where it has a strong Victorian heritage. However, versions of an elderflower cordial recipe can be traced back to Roman times.”

I’ll let you know if I hear anything particularly interesting during the event (sparing the gossip, of course). :D