COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Lol, Carol, you sure know how to talk to Scorpios: Just smile and say yes :D :D
Whahaha. I am having a really good chuckle right now. My father is scorpio. My two bosses are scorpio. My husband is scorpio. My nephew is scorpio. Learnt the hard way. Say yes and then just do it your own way anyway. [emoji23] [emoji23] No actually I need this laugh. Went to the Osteopath today but it was a guy standing in for the lady I normally see. Anyway he does things quite different from her. He is very gentle but the afteraffects pack quite a punch. So feeling a little fragile at the moment. And then to top it off tonight to save some time I soaked all four torts together and then noticed these white little stones in the water. So have been reading up on the causes. But they have water in their enclosure get soaked everyday for about 30 to 45 min. But I think that i might be giving too much vitacal supplement which has vit d3. So that has also been worrying me. And because I soaked them together I don't know which one it came from [emoji85] . I suspect Rue considering the others are only between 2 to 3 months old. [emoji22]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Whahaha. I am having a really good chuckle right now. My father is scorpio. My two bosses are scorpio. My husband is scorpio. My nephew is scorpio. Learnt the hard way. Say yes and then just do it your own way anyway. [emoji23] [emoji23] No actually I need this laugh. Went to the Osteopath today but it was a guy standing in for the lady I normally see. Anyway he does things quite different from her. He is very gentle but the afteraffects pack quite a punch. So feeling a little fragile at the moment. And then to top it off tonight to save some time I soaked all four torts together and then noticed these white little stones in the water. So have been reading up on the causes. But they have water in their enclosure get soaked everyday for about 30 to 45 min. But I think that i might be giving too much vitacal supplement which has vit d3. So that has also been worrying me. And because I soaked them together I don't know which one it came from [emoji85] . I suspect Rue considering the others are only between 2 to 3 months old. [emoji22]
Sorry you are feeling rough after the treatment today :(

Most species of tort seem to have poor uptake of Vitamin D through diet. They make their own from exposure to UVB light (including sunlight)

A very tiny pinch of calcium powder (without additives) sprinkled on food three times a week is all that's needed. No more as you can oberdo it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Most species of tort seem to have poor uptake of Vitamin D through diet. They make their own from exposure to UVB light (including sunlight)

A very tiny pinch of calcium powder (without additives) sprinkled on food three times a week is all that's needed. No more as you can oberdo it.
Yes so it seems. From what I researched on TFO. If they have cuttle bone in their enclosure and do eat it do you think I need to add calcium powder as well? And will be holding off on the vd3 for now.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

I also read that it is good to add some minerall if they have the stones, supposed to help pass them? These were very small and kind of popped when I squeezed them. Should have taken a photo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes so it seems. From what I researched on TFO. If they have cuttle bone in their enclosure and do eat it do you think I need to add calcium powder as well? And will be holding off on the vd3 for now.
If they're eating the cuttlebone don't bother with anything else

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I also read that it is good to add some minerall if they have the stones, supposed to help pass them? These were very small and kind of popped when I squeezed them. Should have taken a photo.
If they're very small chances are you spotted them early. Minerall is for big stones that are difficult to pass. I wouldn't bother now

Bee62

Germany
Hi Sabine Lola is put outside when I come back from work and on weekends/holidays if it is sunny and the ground temps are 70'F or more. I don't let him out if its wet as it's usually too cold with it for a leopard.
My garden is quite a sun trap and on sunny days I try to get home early so that he has stronger sun and uvb. It gets quite a lot of evening sun but it is not secure enough from anyone who may want to get in so I can't leave him out while I'm at work.
The trouble is, Lola gets very stressed when he is outside even though he has plants and a hide for cover and grass and weeds to nibble on. He spends all his time trying to get back indoors. He has always been like that.
Last weekend I blocked his way into his room by using a 3 foot plank on it's edge across the outside door which has a step up to it - I found him balancing the plank on his back - he had managed to lift it with his head and squeeze under it! He is very determined and I wished I had my camera handy to show everyone what he gets up to.
I have found that it is better to just let him wander out on his own as he does seem calmer then and will bask a little but only for short spells.
Most torts like to be out exploring but Lola is a very strange tortoise!
From your description Lola is a really strange tortoise. So much "personality" and stubbornness in a shell.:D

Bee62

Germany
Is it in a good place to leave it, or will you have to dig it up and move it?

What's the temperature out there? When it rains here it's damned cold!!! Br-r-r-r

I know he's been a little under the weather, so to speak, but Lola is one spoiled tortoise!
It was a little thunderstorm. Before it began it was full sunny and warm. When the rain was over I took the torts back into their warm indoor enclosures.
When it is raining and cloudy it is to cold for the torts outside here too. Even my little Hermanns have to stay indoor then.