COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Do you hear them walk across your ceiling in the mornings?
We had crows in Turkey, always trying to make a nest behind the AC box. They made so much noise! Usually shooing them worked, but this year we moved away and on our visit last month I saw a huge nest behind the AC box. Guess they outlasted us after all. :D
Not the ceilings but I could hear them in the chimney breast.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
That’s exactly the type we have here in the parks, alongside the ducks. I took a video of how a mom and dad would dive to get something edible and then feed their babies. Will try to post later!
Dad was doing all the food collecting that day. He would bring it back, pass it to mum and then she would pass it on to the chicks - team work!
I don't think the chicks were old enough to have left the nest at that point., it was lovely to watch the coot family.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Our garden is full of baby birds. Everything seems to have fledged in the last couple of days.

(Photos courtesy of the interweb)

We have loads of starlings which really can't fly straight. They're constantly hitting windows despite window stickers and closed curtains
View attachment 241168

Great t-its
View attachment 241169

Blue t-its (a better timed brood than ours)
View attachment 241170

And a young Great Spotted Woodpecker
View attachment 241171
The swallows have only just arrived here, and taken up their usual residence under the eaves of a neighbours house.
They are very late getting to UK this year because of storms below the sahara and then the bad European weather, so very pleased they made it.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
I just found this little miracle in the garden
View attachment 241182

In the middle of the periwinkle is a shoot of Sedum Spectabile. This is one of the plants that Joe ate to the ground 8 years ago... that I never forgave him for... and I had assumed had long since given up the ghost.

And here it is, fifteen months after his death, tentatively trying to grow again! He must have been grazing it to the ground every time it tried.

I just planted 3 new ones a few weeks ago in Joe’s memory, but this one has made me really happy. This is Joe’s sedum and it’s going to be nurtured :) :) :)
How wonderful and what a special find - even better to have one directly connected to Joe.

Bee62

Germany
View attachment 241182

In the middle of the periwinkle is a shoot of Sedum Spectabile. This is one of the plants that Joe ate to the ground 8 years ago... that I never forgave him for... and I had assumed had long since given up the ghost.
And here it is, fifteen months after his death, tentatively trying to grow again! He must have been grazing it to the ground every time it tried.

I just planted 3 new ones a few weeks ago in Joe’s memory, but this one has made me really happy. This is Joe’s sedum and it’s going to be nurtured :) :) :)
A lovely sign / memory of Joe.:tort::<3:

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Caught up at last!
Hi to everyone.
It's been a dry but cooler and cloudier day here for us and welcomed by me.
I've been out on my bike to collect some weeds for Lola but he turned his nose up at them before going to bed.
He's not eaten much at all today just walked it all over the place.
One step forward and two back!:(
No results yet.
Hope everyone is having a good Thursday.

Bee62

Germany
Caught up at last!
Hi to everyone.
It's been a dry but cooler and cloudier day here for us and welcomed by me.
I've been out on my bike to collect some weeds for Lola but he turned his nose up at them before going to bed.
He's not eaten much at all today just walked it all over the place.
One step forward and two back!:(
No results yet.
Hope everyone is having a good Thursday.
Hi Lyn. Is Lola outside every day ? In the UK you have nice warm tortoise weather like in Germany I have read.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Hi Lyn. Is Lola outside every day ? In the UK you have nice warm tortoise weather like in Germany I have read.
Hi Sabine Lola is put outside when I come back from work and on weekends/holidays if it is sunny and the ground temps are 70'F or more. I don't let him out if its wet as it's usually too cold with it for a leopard.
My garden is quite a sun trap and on sunny days I try to get home early so that he has stronger sun and uvb. It gets quite a lot of evening sun but it is not secure enough from anyone who may want to get in so I can't leave him out while I'm at work.
The trouble is, Lola gets very stressed when he is outside even though he has plants and a hide for cover and grass and weeds to nibble on. He spends all his time trying to get back indoors. He has always been like that.
Last weekend I blocked his way into his room by using a 3 foot plank on it's edge across the outside door which has a step up to it - I found him balancing the plank on his back - he had managed to lift it with his head and squeeze under it! He is very determined and I wished I had my camera handy to show everyone what he gets up to.
I have found that it is better to just let him wander out on his own as he does seem calmer then and will bask a little but only for short spells.
Most torts like to be out exploring but Lola is a very strange tortoise!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 241182

Is it in a good place to leave it, or will you have to dig it up and move it?

It is raining ! My torts get some natural humidity....:D:D:D
They are outside.
What's the temperature out there? When it rains here it's damned cold!!! Br-r-r-r

Hi Sabine Lola is put outside when I come back from work and on weekends/holidays if it is sunny and the ground temps are 70'F or more. I don't let him out if its wet as it's usually too cold with it for a leopard.
My garden is quite a sun trap and on sunny days I try to get home early so that he has stronger sun and uvb. It gets quite a lot of evening sun but it is not secure enough from anyone who may want to get in so I can't leave him out while I'm at work.
The trouble is, Lola gets very stressed when he is outside even though he has plants and a hide for cover and grass and weeds to nibble on. He spends all his time trying to get back indoors. He has always been like that.
Last weekend I blocked his way into his room by using a 3 foot plank on it's edge across the outside door which has a step up to it - I found him balancing the plank on his back - he had managed to lift it with his head and squeeze under it! He is very determined and I wished I had my camera handy to show everyone what he gets up to.
I have found that it is better to just let him wander out on his own as he does seem calmer then and will bask a little but only for short spells.
Most torts like to be out exploring but Lola is a very strange tortoise!
I know he's been a little under the weather, so to speak, but Lola is one spoiled tortoise!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
View attachment 241182

Oh, how beautiful! Hope they tasted really good to Joe :D