COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sabine: I didn't realize you had shingles. I've seen commercials and it doesn't look very pleasant. How much longer are you going to have the skin symptoms? You said you're using homeopathic meds. Are they working? I'm sorry you have to go through this. Just a minute while I go get my crayons and a clean sheet of paper. . .

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Here is the recipe for my CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
Ingredients- for filling
1 pie crust
4 egg yolks
1 Cup of Sugar
1/2 Cup of unsweetened COCOA powder
1/4 Cup of cornstarch
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 1/2 Cup of milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Ingredients- for Meringue
4 eggs whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 Cup sugar

Pre bake your pie crust. I do so at 450F for about 8 minutes.
Adjust your oven temp to 325F. Separate your egg yolks from whites.
Filling-
In a medium saucepan stir together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder until well combined. Add oil and milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for another 2minutes. Remove from heat
Beat your yolks
Scoop several spoonfuls (about 1/2 Cup) of filling into the bowl of yolks and stir it together. Then pour yolk mixture back into filling and return to heat. Bring back up to a gentle boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to low and cook and stir another 2minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in butter and vanilla.
Meringue-
In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Slowly start adding in the sugar, mixing it in as you slowly add it. Beat on high until stiff peaks form (consistency of shaving cream).
Add filling to pie crust and smooth out. Top with meringue, spread it all the way to the crust. Bake for 30minutes. Cool on wire rack for about an hour, then chill for at least 3 hours.

Looks and sounds delicious but sadly unless its available in the supermarket freezer section I will never get to taste it!:rolleyes::(

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I’m home. We got back in time to see the second half of the rugby.

The weather was so appalling in Cape Town, that England managed to be South Africa.

The rain is good news in Cape Town, but not when South Africa are playing a team that plays in those conditions all too regularly.

Still SA won the series, so I can only be pleased that England saved face on this occasion. :D
Lol. Well done.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sabine: I didn't realize you had shingles. I've seen commercials and it doesn't look very pleasant. How much longer are you going to have the skin symptoms? You said you're using homeopathic meds. Are they working? I'm sorry you have to go through this. Just a minute while I go get my crayons and a clean sheet of paper. . .

Love your drawing.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have caught up to myself. Which normally means i have caught up [emoji16] It is a cold overcast day here today. And I wanted to take the torts out for some sun today. Well that is not going to happen today unless it clears up[emoji53]. Yesterday i did not do so well with the pain tablets as i woke up with a headache and i tried not taking anything. But it turned into a migraine which i really really cannot handle. So i gave in. Today we try again and see how it goes. At least I am at home and can ly down if i don't feel so good. My babies will need an extra long soak today as i couldn't soak them last night as i would normally do. ( sigh) but I am sure they are fine. Sounds like everyone is set to have an awesome weekend. I am planning to have a totally relaxed one with absolutely nothing that needs to be done. So ciao for now and not chat later.
Poor you :(- I hope you are feeling better today Carol.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thought I'd share some postcard pics for you all of today's adventure. Yesterday someone told me to "Take a hike" so I did :D. The first two pics of the waterfall and river is one of the sites they filmed the movie "Deliverance" don't worry I didn't hear bangos! ( @Maro2Bear if you look on the rocks you can see some kayakers taking a break) This is Yonah mountain in North ga. Yonah is the Cherokee Indian word for "bear". There is an old tail about this place.
From wikipedia:
Yonah Mountain is the site of a Native American legend about a beautiful Cherokee maiden named Nacoochee who fell in love with the Chickasaw warrior Sautee. When their love was forbidden by the tribal elders, a war party followed the eloping lovers and threw Sautee off the mountain, with Nacoochee then jumping to her death, a Lover's Leap.
Such a sad tale for such a beautiful place!
Reminds me of that song about Running Bear and Little White Dove - can't remember who by

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A tortoise "hotel" ? That sounds funny. I would check that too.:)
One of my nephews is getting married in Las Vegas to his American fiance (where he already lives when he's not working on ships and yachts) and he asked me if I would go today so may need to use it next year.
I've often thought it would be a good idea to offer a tort sitting service.