COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
This is his full enclosure, he isn't in it much, more often in the rest of the garden which I took a photo of a little bit of it here (halfish)View attachment 248380View attachment 248381
Okay. The garden certainly looks big enough for him. Does he go into the little hutch himself at night or do you put him in there yourself.

My take on things for Merlin:
1.) I would actually cover the hutch fully and put it in between some plants. That way the hutch becomes a night box.
2.) I would try and put some heat with a thermostate connected to the night box so that at night it is nice and warm for him.
3.) The garden can become his enclosure and for burrowing, unless you don't want him to destroy your garden with holes, In which case I would create an area specifically for him with an area where he can dig and sleep etc. But that hutch unless it is only a sleeping place is not big enough on its own as an exclosure.

rjamesbeasley

Southend on sea (England)
Okay. The garden certainly looks big enough for him. Does he go into the little hutch himself at night or do you put him in there yourself.

My take on things for Merlin:
1.) I would actually cover the hutch fully and put it in between some plants. That way the hutch becomes a night box.
2.) I would try and put some heat with a thermostate connected to the night box so that at night it is nice and warm for him.
3.) The garden can become his enclosure and for burrowing, unless you don't want him to destroy your garden with holes, In which case I would create an area specifically for him with an area where he can dig and sleep etc. But that hutch unless it is only a sleeping place is not big enough on its own as an exclosure.
What kind of heat would you suggest, I know that Hermanns are meant to have cooler nights but especially in spring and autumn and for those British summers :rolleyes:. The enclosure is definitely not his only space, basically just a bedroom, joesmum suggested covering the wire mesh with some acyclic, would this be a good idea?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Often he will find a body hole to sleep in but I move him to the Hutch each night so he doesn't get into any trouble overnight,( there are badgers in the road) also he does dig, he has been known to dig little holes at times, do I need to make his "room" seem more like a tunnel?
Sorry my previous post posted before I had finished typing. I did go back and edit it. But I am not sure about hermann's but I would try and make his sleeping place as close to how they like to sleep as possible. Hopefully Adam or Linda or Lyn or Lena or Bambam or Yvonne can give you further advice, They more than likely know more about Hermanns than I do. But I would definitly Cover the wiring of the hutch, put a coco coir or orchad bark inside it, so that when he is in it he has a bigger space to sleep and it would be warmer for him. Hopefully you can see what I mean by the pic below. But cover both sides, take out the little partition in the middle, take out tray and cover the floor with substrate about 4 or 5 inchs of substrate.

upload_2018-8-15_12-28-17.png

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
What kind of heat would you suggest, I know that Hermanns are meant to have cooler nights but especially in spring and autumn and for those British summers :rolleyes:. The enclosure is definitely not his only space, basically just a bedroom, joesmum suggested covering the wire mesh with some acyclic, would this be a good idea?
Yes that would be a great idea. If the hermanns are supposed to have a cooler night then you would probably not need an extra heat source then. What about winter though?

rjamesbeasley

Often he will find a body hole to sleep in but I move him to the Hutch each night so he doesn't get into any trouble overnight,( there are badgers in the road) also he does dig, he has been known to dig little holes at times, do I need to make his "room" seem more like a tunnel?
Sorry auto correct said body hole instead of hidy hole, a body hole would be very wierd!

rjamesbeasley

Yes that would be a great idea. If the hermanns are supposed to have a cooler night then you would probably not need an extra heat source then. What about winter though?
Would it be advisable to keep the partition so that he has a warm area and a cooler area or will there be a natural heat gradient if I put the heater at one end of the enclosure anyway?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good morning all,
It's been a soggy start here but still needed after the dry spell so not complaining.
Lola is still in bed so just about to get him up for his soak.
I think we may have to visit the vet again if he doesn't perk up again by Monday, just to be on the safe side.
Have a good Wednesday and I'll catch you later!
TTFN

Oh Lola! I hope he’ll make the vet trip unnecessary very soon.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You are too sweet. I know your busy. I could just buy one. They’re like $60 but I kill a lot of plants.

I completely understand because I’m the same way.. the cost of shipping can’t be but a few dollars.. I would just have to google the best way to cut you a piece:)... This tree is strong. It was split in half by lightning several years ago and my husband wired it back together. It has since grown back and expanded. I had to cut it back last week!