COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good luck with the Housing Association, Lyn.:)
I wonder what the training is to become a member of the Nuisance Team?
Talking with your mouth full?
Repeating everything the other person says?
Wearing a Sony Walkman with headphones on but the volume really loud?
Kicking footballs aganst your front door?
Perfect to throw at the neighbours.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I wanted to leave y’all with the progress on my “Tortoise Garden”.. Goodnight all! Sleep well [emoji42]
I see that your Frog is working very hard, hopefully your plants inside will grow nicely with all his love and care. Are you sure your tortoise will fit in the tort garden? It looks rather big in that picture.

BTW it looks like it is coming along really nicely. Well done.

Last edited:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all.

Cute overload with Heather’s daughter’s charges. What are they again? I can’t find the post.

Mark’s figs look delicious. When we went to France last summer there was a tree in the garden of the house we rented and we ate a lot!

JoesDad and I are off to do a spot of bird-watching at a new (to us) nature reserve. I need to have a chat with my cleaner first; she is due imminently!
Oh enjoy your bird watching. Good luck with your chat.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all,
It's been a soggy start here but still needed after the dry spell so not complaining.
Lola is still in bed so just about to get him up for his soak.
I think we may have to visit the vet again if he doesn't perk up again by Monday, just to be on the safe side.
Have a good Wednesday and I'll catch you later!
TTFN
Good Morning Lyn,
Good Morning Lola, Stop fooling around and give your Mom a break. She has enough on her plate without your adding more to it.
Enjoy your Wednesday Lyn.

rjamesbeasley

Southend on sea (England)
Afternoon/Evening All

Not toooo hot, but hot in the upper 80s. The sun has been good for our fig trees and we were able to pick a few today.

View attachment 248254 View attachment 248254 View attachment 248255 View attachment 248256

Due to the heavy rains recently, the insides of our Brown Turkey (pix) are not as juicy red as some of the smaller types. Still quite tasty.

View attachment 248253
Do you know of the pollination process of figs? Really quite interesting, mind you, it may put you off of figs!

rjamesbeasley

Can you not get coco coir or orchard bark? Those two would be much better substrates for Merlin. Is that his outside enclosure?
Yes. He's an outdoors tort, it has a closeable door on the side, I just opened t up for the photo. (It is basically like his bedroom, during the day he has plenty of room to roam)

rjamesbeasley

Hmmm, no. Please share, I am always interested in learning new things.
Well, a female fig wasp burrows into the fig and in doing so, has her wings removed as it is too tight a fit. She lays her eggs in their and dies, the fig digests the body, then the eggs hatch, the males first, who pollinate the female eggs and dig some tunnels out of the fig before dying also, then the females hatch, crawl out of the escape tunnels and fly away to do the same thing all over again, eww. I assume that the female fig wasp also pollinates the fig somehow but I'm not too sure how that happens, but the interwebs are sure to have the answer!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Okay, Finally caught up with all the posts that I missed yesterday. I hope that everyone is having an awesome Wednesday. It is only two more days to go then it is Weekend. Yayyyy. Hmmm have you guys cottoned onto the fact that I like weekends yet? if you haven't - I do!!!;)

This week has been really busy for me at work but at the same time is going really slowly. I know doesn't make sense, but then again Adam did say that things would not make sense in the CDR in the beginning. So I am just doing my best to go with the theme of the CDR. :p

Tomorrow is my eldest's birthday and he is turning 20 years old. :eek: But that is okay because I am still only 29 years old. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Lol Anyway have an awesome Wednesday everyone - NOT see you later

rjamesbeasley

Okay, Finally caught up with all the posts that I missed yesterday. I hope that everyone is having an awesome Wednesday. It is only two more days to go then it is Weekend. Yayyyy. Hmmm have you guys cottoned onto the fact that I like weekends yet? if you haven't - I do!!!;)

This week has been really busy for me at work but at the same time is going really slowly. I know doesn't make sense, but then again Adam did say that things would not make sense in the CDR in the beginning. So I am just doing my best to go with the theme of the CDR. :p

Tomorrow is my eldest's birthday and he is turning 20 years old. :eek: But that is okay because I am still only 29 years old. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Lol Anyway have an awesome Wednesday everyone - NOT see you later
Pregnant at nine years old!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yes. He's an outdoors tort, it has a closeable door on the side, I just opened t up for the photo. (It is basically like his bedroom, during the day he has plenty of room to roam)
Could you post a pic of the full enclosure? I would put substrate (coco coir and or orchad bark) all over those bricks so that the ground is slightly softer for him and he can burrow. If you give him a wider area of substrate to burrow in, it will give him a chance to find the spot that He likes and wants to burrow in.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well, a female fig wasp burrows into the fig and in doing so, has her wings removed as it is too tight a fit. She lays her eggs in their and dies, the fig digests the body, then the eggs hatch, the males first, who pollinate the female eggs and dig some tunnels out of the fig before dying also, then the females hatch, crawl out of the escape tunnels and fly away to do the same thing all over again, eww. I assume that the female fig wasp also pollinates the fig somehow but I'm not too sure how that happens, but the interwebs are sure to have the answer!
Wow, that is interesting. Shame that they have to die, in order to procreate. Seems to me that the females have the advantage in that scenario.