COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Good morning! Cold, dark, rainy, windy, yucky morning here....but it was predicted, so we did get a lot done during the week. A recap... Monday - cutting down big ine tree sawing up, and moving to the wood chopping area; Tuesday - more tree limb clean up, followed by house trim painting; Wed/Thur - more painting and perennial garden trimming; Friday - lawn raking, bagging, then over-seeding.

Today - some green grocery shopping for kale, dandelion and a few winter squash.

Can you actually buy dandelion?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Enjoy your wedding. Had a busy morning. Went to the garden centre for some fertilizer for my hibiscus tree. And bought a strawberry bush. Took some more photos of my gang. I can't help it. I will share one with you. The rest are in my normal thread. View attachment 255359

“Enjoy your wedding”? Ahem, @EllieMay? o_O

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Our one Kayaking Group also sent out their call for photo submissions for their 2019 Calendar (sound familiar)? I’ll spend a bit of time looking through some of my pix and submit a few... Their requirements are a lot less strict.
  • the photo should include a kayak(s) OR
  • a great scene taken from a kayak
  • the photo cannot include the bow of the person taking the photo

No megapixel requirements? [emoji23]
Good luck. I don’t know how in the world you’re going to be able to choose only a few!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Back from the International grocery market with lots of greens, some honey, Korean honey/ginger tea, dandelions, kale, zucchini, celery, onions and a few more things.

Ogh, a treat for Sully too.

View attachment 255371

In Turkey some people eat the opuntia fruit. I saw it sold in the bazaars.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
The answer is mostly -
  • First I give them a good washing, then take a serated type knife blade and rub it back and forth on the pads which pretty much cleans those up on the pad surface.
  • Then I take a smaller paring knife and cut off the edge all around the pad, then snip the bottom off.
  • By now, I’m done with spine removal and I chop them up into inch squares or so.
Entire process very fast.

Here are some pix of the process

Pad with Spines

View attachment 255376

Washed Pad and Scraped

View attachment 255375

Edges Trimmed Off

View attachment 255377

Cut Up & Ready to Serve

View attachment 255378

Maybe Elsa and Kristoff would have liked it better if I had served it that way. Neither were very keen on opuntia. But they had clover, dandelion, and plenty of other weeds to choose from. And Elsa was always on the lookout for cat poop... :eek: Silly girl.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I was assembling all the greens and veggies for tortoise feeding this a.m. and thought, "Why should the tortoises get all the good stuff?" So I got out my pork neck bones and browned them, then set them into the stew pot in chicken broth with onions to boil for a couple hours. When I came in from outside just now I added vinegar and sugar to the pot then a whole bunch of collard greens. My lunch will be ready in another hour! The neck bones aren't ideal for this use as there are too many small, sharp bits, but the butcher didn't have any smoked ham hocks.

Here in my area our first frost usually comes right around Halloween. But so far our night temperatures have been lower 60s and upper 50s (F). It doesn't feel like it's going to drop down into the 30sF in just a couple days. the day temps are still in the 80s.

All I have left to do to winterize the plants is take several into the backyard greenhouse, then wrap the front porch (where the jade plants and a few euphorbias live) in plastic. The plants on the porch aren't all that cold sensitive, but they can't have any frost on them or they will die.

Man, I'm hungry!!

I’m also hungry when I read your description!! I usually use a sieve if the bones have many loose pieces when I’m making a stock. Then I add the veggies and whatever else. Yum!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
@Bee62 I was wondering how Cowboy Ken got a picture of you. He posted this on the pretend chat thread:

img_3862-jpg.255385

Hahahaha!!!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good evening all. It’s 11pm here are we’re just back from a jazz concert. American musician Curtis Stigers was performing in our town... someone reasonably famous in Tonbridge for the first time ever!

I’ve caught up, but must turn in for the night now.

The clocks go back an hour for us tonight so, in theory, we get a lie in tomorrow.

View attachment 255392

Oh, finally it makes sense now! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Hope you had a great night out!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good Morning All
Today is Stephens birthday so we have spent the morning out with the family.
And my hibiscus tree seems to be recovering. So hold thumbs it carries on doing well.
Enjoy your Sundays.View attachment 255413

Happy birthday to Stephen! Hope you had a great time together!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you Carol.. they represent me well. It’s hard watching my daughter change so fast now ... I’m a wonderful mother of children but i struggle with the balance of parenting and friendship at her age. I don’t want to let go of my baby!!!

It’s thanks to your parenting if she’s ready to leave the nest more and more now. Soon she’ll have the whole big world to explore. But she’ll always have you, and you’ll always have her, even if sometimes she would be too overwhelmed with the rest of her life. You’ve got it, Mama! [emoji173]️