COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all. It’s still flipping cold here, but the sun is out. Looking at the weather forecast yesterday it seems that things are probably going to be colder and whiter for Lena and Sabine this week than here
Poor them. Sending warm sunshine to everyone who need it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Phew. I’m glad we don’t have to put you in separate corners. Because I’m not sure which one the Wool Spider is using now. There’re spiderwebs everywhere!
[emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] ding ding ding. And Linda is in corner on the right and at 6ft will be going against Carol at 5ft. I think on arm reach alone Linda might give Carol a bit of a hard time. However don't write Carol off just yet as she can easily manage to slip in here and there under Linda's arms.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yip. Lots of socks go missing there. That's why I don't wear socks when visiting them.
Don't talk too much about missing socks in the CDR. The wool spider, if she exists, will use it as an excuse to knit even more!

I wonder if we could persuade her on to Christmas jumpers?... Maybe not this side of Halloween, but afterwards?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Don't talk too much about missing socks in the CDR. The wool spider, if she exists, will use it as an excuse to knit even more!

I wonder if we could persuade her on to Christmas jumpers?... Maybe not this side of Halloween, but afterwards?
We do need some xmas stockings to put on the mantel piece. Or end of beds in my house.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

We do need some xmas stockings to put on the mantel piece. Or end of beds in my house.

Good plan! But I’d rather not get tangled in the arrangements, if you don’t mind. ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sjoe, as Carol would say, I have been for my swim, got the laundry on the go and been out in the garden.

Garden job 1 is renewing my battle with other people's cats. They have taken to lurking under a cotoneaster shrub I have so they can pounce on the birds visiting my garden. It looks like there's been a pillow fight as a cat took a woodpigeon on Saturday. I have now dumped a load of stuff under the cotoneaster so the cats can't get in there :D

Garden job 2 is cleaning my bird feeders. I do this every fortnight usually. There is a particularly nasty disease affecting finches that they think is spread through dirty bird feeders, so I give mine a quick clean and then soak them in a disinfectant solution.

Garden job 3 is doing the same to the bird bath and garden job 4 is clearing some more ivy from the fence (it really has grown out of control this year!), but it's cold out there and I need a cup of tea to warm up!

We don't have many birds on the feeders at the moment. We had a sparrowhawk sitting on the back fence yesterday, so I suspect that may be the reason. Bird feeders attract small birds and sparrowhawks hunt small birds. I don't mind the sparrowhawks. They don't hunt for the sake of it; they take what they need to survive. When they turn up, they're around for a few days and then move on to someone else's garden where the birds aren't expecting them!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sjoe, as Carol would say, I have been for my swim, got the laundry on the go and been out in the garden.

Garden job 1 is renewing my battle with other people's cats. They have taken to lurking under a cotoneaster shrub I have so they can pounce on the birds visiting my garden. It looks like there's been a pillow fight as a cat took a woodpigeon on Saturday. I have now dumped a load of stuff under the cotoneaster so the cats can't get in there :D

Garden job 2 is cleaning my bird feeders. I do this every fortnight usually. There is a particularly nasty disease affecting finches that they think is spread through dirty bird feeders, so I give mine a quick clean and then soak them in a disinfectant solution.

Garden job 3 is doing the same to the bird bath and garden job 4 is clearing some more ivy from the fence (it really has grown out of control this year!), but it's cold out there and I need a cup of tea to warm up!

We don't have many birds on the feeders at the moment. We had a sparrowhawk sitting on the back fence yesterday, so I suspect that may be the reason. Bird feeders attract small birds and sparrowhawks hunt small birds. I don't mind the sparrowhawks; they don't hunt for the sake of it. They take what they need to survive. When they turn up, they're around for a few days and then move on to someone else's garden where the birds aren't expecting them!
Oh shame. Maybe you should get a dog. The dog will keep the cats out and won't bother the birds at all.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmm, do I sense a business opportunity in there? [emoji848]
Does Sully eat just the flowers or the stalks too?

Dunno how much of a greater demand there is.... yes, ppl do purchase as salad greens but it’s just one of a large variety of available greens. Only the greens are sold - nice bundles - but Sully does love the flowers of course.

Sully Enjoying Spring Dandelions -

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Here in London, the weather has dried out and warmed up a tidge.

Our tour was of disused tunnels in the underground train system below Euston station.

It was fascinating historically as these Hidden London tours have proved to be.

The old tunnels include a ticket office deep underground as the various lines belonged to separate companies 100 years ago. And the posters on the wall are a 1960s time capsule.

View attachment 255427
View attachment 255428
View attachment 255429View attachment 255430
View attachment 255431

The live trains running on the Victoria line
View attachment 255432
Awesome! That looks like such an interesting tour of the old tunnels. Does "Mind the Gap" go back that far?

Bee62

Germany
Good morning all. It’s still flipping cold here, but the sun is out. Looking at the weather forecast yesterday it seems that things are probably going to be colder and whiter for Lena and Sabine this week than here
Today I have heard that it soon will be 15 C in Germany again ! Silly weather but I won`t reject the warmth.:)

Bee62

Germany
Whahahaha. Mine look for dog poop. The cat buries hers under the sand. My son has to be very quick and clean up where torts are quickly. Don't want them eating dog poop.
When my tortoises had been outdoors this summer they found very old dog poop that I haven`t seen. I think they smell it.:confused::confused::confused: