COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
But she looks so happy in these pics!
Bad British habit of ironically saying the opposite of what we mean :D

Daughter loves her career choice as you can tell from the photo :D

She had a school student on work experience with her earlier in the year who proclaimed that she had “the coolest job ever”

When youngsters study science in school, I don’t think they realise where it might lead.

Daughter majored in Biology and Geography at university choosing elective modules with an environment bias.

Geography covers a huge range of surveying, mapping and report writing skills useful for her current work... and has lots of field trips. I think it was the field trips that sold her on the course; she travelled to Croatia, Spain and China with the university as well as doing regular field trips in the UK mostly to the Lake District which is just up the motorway from her university.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I had some dyslexic students, very bright, but reading or writing just about anything took them forever. I wish we had a different way of conveying material to those students.

Yes, she is very bright but the reading is torture!

We had a meeting and decided that with her low test scores she will now get fill in the blank or condense her multiple choice answers from 4 to 3 answers to choose from.

She also has the option to use headphones for tests if applicable or leave the class and take a test in a quiet room. She also is allowed to take longer on a test if needed.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Daughter turned 25 two weeks ago. She is fed up with being IDed because she looks young. Her younger brother never gets IDed - 6’6” (2 metres for those working in metric) tall and with a beard - people look him in the chest and assumed he was old enough when he was 16.

Anyone here who looks younger than 40 must be ID’D. It’s a law.
I was, up until last year and I was 47.
It made me mad because I clearly don’t look 20!

Our drinking age here is 21.
Driving is 16
Adult is 18

What’s everyone’s else’s?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's heck to get old. For some unknown reason I had it in my mind when I woke up this a.m. that it changed to daylight savings time overnight. So I went around and changed all the clocks. It was only while I was pondering why the time on my phone still showed the old time that I realized my mistake. I'll be damned if I'm going to change them back. I'll just have to be an hour behind for the next few days.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Anyone here who looks younger than 40 must be ID’D. It’s a law.
I was, up until last year and I was 47.
It made me mad because I clearly don’t look 20!

Our drinking age here is 21.
Driving is 16
Adult is 18

What’s everyone’s else’s?

Marriage and age of consent (s ex) 16
Driving a moped (75cc max) 16
Driving a car/motorcycle 17
Adult 18.
Drinking 18

Age ID is done on "Think 25". If you look under 25 then you get IDed

Photo ID is often asked for so we tend to use our credit card sized driving licence for it as it is more convenient than carrying a passport.

We don't carry identity cards in the UK, so if you don't get a driving licence (and many don't) it can be a problem. There is now a card youngsters can get just to prove their age.

Why ID to age 40? What needs proof of you being over 40?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's heck to get old. For some unknown reason I had it in my mind when I woke up this a.m. that it changed to daylight savings time overnight. So I went around and changed all the clocks. It was only while I was pondering why the time on my phone still showed the old time that I realized my mistake. I'll be damned if I'm going to change them back. I'll just have to be an hour behind for the next few days.
Sorry that will be us Europeans confusing things. We changed our clocks last weekend!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There's a measure on the ballot for our upcoming election to do away with Daylight Savings Time. I really doubt it will pass.
The European Union wants all its nations to abandon clock changes - each can choose which time zone to fix at. Given the UK is leaving the EU, goodness only knows whether the UK will follow suit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The European Union wants all its nations to abandon clock changes - each can choose which time zone to fix at. Given the UK is leaving the EU, goodness only knows whether the UK will follow suit.
I think the measure on our ballot would fix our time at daylight savings time, and it would just stay there year round. Wouldn't it just be easier for all of us to just abolish fooling with the time and keep it normal and natural?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think the measure on our ballot would fix our time at daylight savings time, and it would just stay there year round. Wouldn't it just be easier for all of us to just abolish fooling with the time and keep it normal and natural?
The problem every nation has is the north south divide. What makes sense at northern latitudes doesn't make sense for those further south and vice versa. Canada gets round this by having different time zones in each Province.

It's bad enough here in the UK where Scotland would really struggle if we fixed on Daylight Savings, but here in the south we would much prefer to stay on it.

You have different time zones in the USA, but they're based on east-west. If you lose daylight savings (or permanent adopt it) I foresee some states wanting to vary from the time zones.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Marriage and age of consent (s ex) 16
Driving a moped (75cc max) 16
Driving a car/motorcycle 17
Adult 18.
Drinking 18

Age ID is done on "Think 25". If you look under 25 then you get IDed

Photo ID is often asked for so we tend to use our credit card sized driving licence for it as it is more convenient than carrying a passport.

We don't carry identity cards in the UK, so if you don't get a driving licence (and many don't) it can be a problem. There is now a card youngsters can get just to prove their age.

Why ID to age 40? What needs proof of you being over 40?

Sorry, to buy alcohol or enter a pub/bar.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry, to buy alcohol or enter a pub/bar.
"Visibly over 25" is sufficient for pubs/bars and buying alcohol in shops.

Some nightclubs and bars have a policy of IDing everyone which is as much about not admitting those they have previously banned as worrying about age. But they're the kind of venues populated by a younger clientele in any case.

Both my kids had problems with ID in the USA as our standard date format is DD/MM/YY as opposed to MM/DD/YY in the USA.

Daughter got refused entry to a baseball game because the date of birth showed as 15/10/YY and the checker told her that her ID was clearly fake because there weren't 15 months! He clearly wasn't one of those with a higher IQ. They changed gates and got admitted by someone who could cope :D

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
There's a measure on the ballot for our upcoming election to do away with Daylight Savings Time. I really doubt it will pass.
This past legislative session, Florida decided to stay on Daylight Saving Time year round. Bur it's really up to Congress whether that flies or not, so we're still changing our clocks for now.

Part of Florida (western panhandle) is in the next time zone, so things are confusing here to begin with... :rolleyes: