COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good morning all. Happy weekend to you all.

In the UK, Bonfire Night is celebrated on November 5th. Bonfires, fireworks and the roomies who spent some time in Yorkshire will, no doubt, have memories of pie and pea suppers.

Bonfire Night is actually a commemoration of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605 when Catholics led by Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and the Protestant King James I.

November 5th is Monday, so many firework displays will be tonight.

The pie and pea supper is definitely a northern England thing. A hot meat pie served in a bowl of mushy peas (cooked dried marrowfat peas) In Yorkshire it's a Pork Pie and served with mint sauce on top... Hmmm this has made me hungry. I think I shall make it for dinner on Monday and post photos in the CDR by way of sharing warm food on a cold night :)

First today though is a rugby union match. England v South Africa at the home of English rugby in Twickenham stadium... last time we went there I froze so I shall be wearing many layers today. And Carol and I must support opposing teams today ... I promise to behave :D COME ON ENGLAND!

Jacket potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked in the bonfire for us then eaten with butter and/or cheese melting into them - delicious!!! Lots of fireworks going off around here tonight.
A close win for England today and a good win for Wales who played Scotland which is unusual in the Autumn internationals, but they were competing for the new Doddie Weir cup (a Scottish past player who has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease).

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
So it us Saturday. And it is Hot again. I went shopping this morning and when I came home I check up on my babies - of course. And guess who has decided he likes climbing... I have decided that Kang is definitely male, he just has a face that screams male.[emoji6] I put some tort pellets down for them and he wanted to come down immediately to get his share. I was so scared he would injure himself so I put my hand there thinking that he could use it to climb down but noooo he did not want any help from me. View attachment 256007View attachment 256008View attachment 256009View attachment 256010
Mr Independent!!!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Some pictures from the Lysfest (Festival of Lights). The theme this year was Regnbue - Rainbow.

Here is Roskilde Cathedral during our little tour after dark into this place of burial of many Danish kings and queens and nobility:

View attachment 256031

View attachment 256032

Tomb of Margrethe I (Margaret the First), who was a queen of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark in the 14th century at a time when women were rarely monarchs. She sought to unite Scandinavia and was nicknamed “the Lady King”.

View attachment 256033

View attachment 256034

From there we moved to our city library which had a treasure hunt for children. We walked through the sparsely lit library to find all the colors of the rainbow.

View attachment 256035

The treasure hunt took us to a nearby art house — to the other end of the rainbow.

View attachment 256036

It was a rather long day. [emoji42]

View attachment 256037
Looks like great fun!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you have to queue outside for almost 2 hours to get through the security checks as well?
Last match I went to in Cardiff, in Feb, we only just made it in time for the anthems.
It wasn't too bad. Security was slower than usual and took about half an hour. We too only just made it as the anthems started!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Final score England 12 - South Africa 11

SA could have won this in the first half, but England defended well. England played much better in the second half. A draw would have seen fair. I have seen better matches.

Elsewhere Wales beat Scotland 21-10 :) Good for me and Adam :)
.....and me!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Picked up another 'found' sulcata this a.m. He weighs 55lbs and has been seen in the area for the past two weeks. Hopefully I'll find his owner soon. It's not a hardship to have him though, as I have an extra warm house off the backyard, where he is. But if I get in another large sulcata, then it will be a hardship. But this isn't usually the time of year they come in, so there shouldn't be any more in my immediate future.

View attachment 256053

He's quite a nice tortoise. Doesn't try to ram me, doesn't squirm when I pick him up. And his shell is quite smooth!
Hope you find his owner soon, it must be so upsetting to lose one as lovely as he is.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Some pictures from the Lysfest (Festival of Lights). The theme this year was Regnbue - Rainbow.

Here is Roskilde Cathedral during our little tour after dark into this place of burial of many Danish kings and queens and nobility:

View attachment 256031

View attachment 256032

Tomb of Margrethe I (Margaret the First), who was a queen of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark in the 14th century at a time when women were rarely monarchs. She sought to unite Scandinavia and was nicknamed “the Lady King”.

View attachment 256033

View attachment 256034

From there we moved to our city library which had a treasure hunt for children. We walked through the sparsely lit library to find all the colors of the rainbow.

View attachment 256035

The treasure hunt took us to a nearby art house — to the other end of the rainbow.

View attachment 256036

It was a rather long day. [emoji42]

View attachment 256037

So cool and so much history!!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Picked up another 'found' sulcata this a.m. He weighs 55lbs and has been seen in the area for the past two weeks. Hopefully I'll find his owner soon. It's not a hardship to have him though, as I have an extra warm house off the backyard, where he is. But if I get in another large sulcata, then it will be a hardship. But this isn't usually the time of year they come in, so there shouldn't be any more in my immediate future.

View attachment 256053

He's quite a nice tortoise. Doesn't try to ram me, doesn't squirm when I pick him up. And his shell is quite smooth!

How do you look for the owners? Craigslist and Nextdoor?

Glad he’s not a bully.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
It wasn't too bad. Security was slower than usual and took about half an hour. We too only just made it as the anthems started!
In Cardiff they only let the crowds through in waves for bag and body searches.
They were advising people to allow 3 hours to get into the stadium for today's match.
The pubs will be losing trade!!!