COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Picked up another 'found' sulcata this a.m. He weighs 55lbs and has been seen in the area for the past two weeks. Hopefully I'll find his owner soon. It's not a hardship to have him though, as I have an extra warm house off the backyard, where he is. But if I get in another large sulcata, then it will be a hardship. But this isn't usually the time of year they come in, so there shouldn't be any more in my immediate future.

View attachment 256053

He's quite a nice tortoise. Doesn't try to ram me, doesn't squirm when I pick him up. And his shell is quite smooth!
Maybe he is a lost pet then.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
I thought you might have been very busy. Good luck with all the work.
Hi Carol. We have been updating all our schemes of work etc and as I teach several subjects they have all had to be done. Not done too much school work over half term but been helping out family, and dog sitting for Fudge, so she's been taking me out and about for some nice walks.....not too far these days as she's an old lady now and lets me know when she's had enough by refusing to go any further and turning around to head for home. I enjoy having her to stay though.
Better crack on with all these posts I've missed!!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good afternoon all. I did drive to yoga but had a problem getting home as some idiots double parked blocking us in to our parking spaces. We were hanging round for 45 minutes until they turned up and shame-faced moved their cars [emoji35]

View from the drivers seat of mine
View attachment 255854
What a plonker!!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi Carol. We have been updating all our schemes of work etc and as I teach several subjects they have all had to be done. Not done too much school work over half term but been helping out family, and dog sitting for Fudge, so she's been taking me out and about for some nice walks.....not too far these days as she's an old lady now and lets me know when she's had enough by refusing to go any further and turning around to head for home. I enjoy having her to stay though.
You definitely do sound extremely busy. Good luck on the posts catch up.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Picked up another 'found' sulcata this a.m. He weighs 55lbs and has been seen in the area for the past two weeks. Hopefully I'll find his owner soon. It's not a hardship to have him though, as I have an extra warm house off the backyard, where he is. But if I get in another large sulcata, then it will be a hardship. But this isn't usually the time of year they come in, so there shouldn't be any more in my immediate future.

View attachment 256053

He's quite a nice tortoise. Doesn't try to ram me, doesn't squirm when I pick him up. And his shell is quite smooth!

Hope the owner finds him! He’s very good looking! [emoji173]️

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good afternoon CDR... I have been a little quiet lately trying to sort thru my thoughts I suppose.. I’ve had a lot of “junk” going on here with my nephew. I’m feeling pretty sad and angry all at once. The short version- he has continued to make horrible choices to the point of breaking the law while already at a disciplinary school. They allowed him a phone call and he called his mother instead of me. Her court date was postponed for another couple of months but she withdrew him from school and took him back to Arkansas... (all legal as my custody was contingent upon her incarceration)... he has a case with the DA here being reviewed. If they decide to pursue, he will be picked up from her and booked into a correctional facility. I believe the kid was playing me the whole time and it’s all just heartbreaking.. I have to believe that everything happens for a reason but for the life of me, I’m not sure what this one is.. :-(.
So very sorry, Heather - your feelings are completely understandable.
We see it all the time with some of our kids in school who may be in foster homes with the loveliest people you could wish for, who give them all sorts of opportunities, but at the end of the day they just want to be back with their folks regardless of how badly they have behaved as parents. It's such a shame and very hurtful for you, but you did your best for him - you are a very special person to have offered him a home in the first place.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good evening Lyn and Lola and Fudge. Nice to see you around.
Any pics of Fudge?

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
I have felt like a bit of a failure and a little angry.. I’m starting to see past this though and please don’t judge me, but I’m even a little relieved now. I prayed a lot, but my kids come first and I this one was not healthy for them. I have helped a lot of children and this is the first that I felt may have been too much for me. But it was taken out of my hands and I wouldn’t go back for anything now... moving on:)
:) Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good day all.

Perfect Autumn Day here following the big storms. Bright sunshine, cool breezes. We drove over to the Patuxent National Wildlife Refuge which is actually only a few miles from our home, probably less then three. Great quiet place with large reservoirs for wildlife. The foliage was wonderful.

Here are a few glimpses into our walkies..

C43B3DF4-49A3-475B-94A4-6D4277886803.jpeg 39C88371-335C-4FB6-BD5F-3CE03CEED9C8.jpeg 5D9127C4-14C7-41AE-AF3F-B21F62347362.jpeg 8811F739-072E-41BB-B712-2A4453CED511.jpeg 401585A4-A932-409C-8231-A26E5F721824.jpeg 871F1FC0-6672-4FCD-A9C8-FC5199AE7833.jpeg

Tomorrow is kayaking...and some pix from water’s edge.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh Heather.
I am so sorry. The problem is that if he does not want to be saved there is nothing you can do. You gave it your all. Hopefully he will change his tune and come right one day.
Big Electronic hugs from me.
Terribly sorry about this, @EllieMay . You did all you could, that I am sure of.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
A quick trip to green grocery store for some Sully items. Dandelion, cactus, cactus fruit/tuna and a nice aloe.

View attachment 255947
You are so lucky to be able to buy dandelions, only dried dandelion here which don't hydrate well and have turned brown. Best I've managed to do with them is to crumble them and sprinkle onto salad leaves for Lola.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good day all.

Perfect Autumn Day here following the big storms. Bright sunshine, cool breezes. We drove over to the Patuxent National Wildlife Refuge which is actually only a few miles from our home, probably less then three. Great quiet place with large reservoirs for wildlife. The foliage was wonderful.

Here are a few glimpses into our walkies..

View attachment 256060 View attachment 256061 View attachment 256062 View attachment 256063 View attachment 256064 View attachment 256065

Tomorrow is kayaking...and some pix from water’s edge.
Glorious autumnal pictures :)

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Good evening CDR. Good evening roomies.
I was absent the last days because I am sick. I have a bad inflammation in my left leg. It is swollen, red and it hurts. I take antibiotics since yesterday and I hope they soon will work.
I cannot sit for a longer time. When I put my leg up it hurts less. I try to pop in from time to time.
I wish you all a happy weekend and enjoy the warm weather wherever you have it.
12-weekend.jpg
So sorry to hear this Sabine, I hope your leg responds well and quickly to the antibiotics.
Try to rest it as much as possible which I know won't be easy for you to do with all the animals to care for.
Sending you an e-hug!

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
oh my!

I had a leg incident too. There's this new stray tom cat that's been coming around. He has gotten very pushy, and if I don' put the food down quick enough to suit him he attacks me. So yesterday I was opening the lids of tortoise enclosures, working my way to the back of the carport where the cat food container is, and he jumped on my leg and bit me! I smacked him with the tortoise food lid (plastic) I was holding, and he stopped attacking, but wasn't the least bit afraid of me. I felt liquid running down my leg, so went in the house and washed the wound with Betadine. I'm pondering two choices. . . trap him and take him to be euthanized, or trap him and take him to be neutered. He's not young. He beats up my cats and they're deathly afraid of
him.
Is your tetanus jab up to date Yvonne? If not I would try to get one as he broke the skin.They last 10 years .
What a bossy cat he is!