COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Apparently so! Ya know....I had an English teacher back in grade school tell the class that Americans have all but destroyed the English language.

A lot of the words we consider to be Americanisms turn out simply to be old fashioned and no longer used over here. English in Britain has evolved differently since the early settlers took the language over the Atlantic

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
All go so far. We are in a coffee shop in the outskirts of Banbury, near Oxford, waiting for daughter’s train to arrive.

Up in Buxton it is currently -1C... “feels like” -9C (15F)

We have all our winter woolies with us fortunately. After rummaging through the pile in corner 7, it appears the Wool Spider(if she exists) may have anticipated Son’s height.... actually over-estimated... does anyone have arms THAT long?!

A few posts back you wrote of Buxton being the highest venue for a market....and now i recall having a pint during a journey at the highest pub - Tan Hill. On a lonely site high in the Yorkshire Dales stands the Tan Hill Inn, a unique and historic place dating back to the 17th century.

Fingers crossed on your trip.

....and on Banbury - been there many many times, staying at the Banbury Inn, up the road from High Street near the old church. Took the train in to Oxford many times, as well as Bath. Cute little village.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A few posts back you wrote of Buxton being the highest venue for a market....and now i recall having a pint during a journey at the highest pub - Tan Hill. On a lonely site high in the Yorkshire Dales stands the Tan Hill Inn, a unique and historic place dating back to the 17th century.

Fingers crossed on your trip.

....and on Banbury - been there many many times, staying at the Banbury Inn, up the road from High Street near the old church. Took the train in to Oxford many times, as well as Bath. Cute little village.

Oh yes. We know the Tan Hill Inn well. It was a regular venue for university parties. In fact JoesDad and I got together at an ice cold college valentine’s disco up there :D

We go bird watching up there too. It’s a good place to warm up and dry out :)

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
And, we’re in the weather record books.....

• An unprecedented series of drenching rain storms, culminating in this weekend’s soaking, has catapulted 2018 to the wettest year on record in Washington. This year’s rainfall tally shoves aside the previous top mark which stood for nearly 130 years.
  • The steady rain Friday night into Saturday morning elevated 2018’s total past the previous record of 61.33 inches set in 1889. The National Weather Service announced the record was surpassed at 6:26 a.m. Saturday. An additional inch or so of rain could fall through Sunday, pushing 2018 further ahead of historically wet years of the past. Weather records in Washington date back to 1871.
B87D96F1-1A62-4475-9A65-20851055F974.jpeg

Bee62

Germany
Good mornoonevening all! Misty and Little Missy Kitty woke me up at 5:30a this morning, so I've got lots of time to sit here in front of the woodstove and read the Forum. I'm going to take the time to go back and listen to Sabine's songs. I think there were two of them that I missed because I didn't have the time.
One evening I was posting 3. I think you missed 3.:):)

daniellenc

Maryland
And, we’re in the weather record books.....

• An unprecedented series of drenching rain storms, culminating in this weekend’s soaking, has catapulted 2018 to the wettest year on record in Washington. This year’s rainfall tally shoves aside the previous top mark which stood for nearly 130 years.
  • The steady rain Friday night into Saturday morning elevated 2018’s total past the previous record of 61.33 inches set in 1889. The National Weather Service announced the record was surpassed at 6:26 a.m. Saturday. An additional inch or so of rain could fall through Sunday, pushing 2018 further ahead of historically wet years of the past. Weather records in Washington date back to 1871.
View attachment 259616

I’m so over this rain. I had all these big ideas on things I wanted to get done. I’m currently still in bed sipping coffee looking outside in defeat.

Bee62

Germany
Oh, Sabine! Thank you so much for the Christmas songs. I especially loved the White Christmas version. I also like the way your turtle necklace took the light and sparkled every time you moved.
Thank you very much Yvonne. This evening I`ve planned to sing "Holy night" for @JoesMum ( because it was her wish ) and all my CDR roomies too.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The guy I have come trim trees for me called me yesterday and said if I wanted some firewood he has some he'd like to get rid of. So this a.m., after I feed, clean up and water, I'm going to make a special trip into town and get some firewood! Yea!