COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Mark seems to be the expert on growing plants. My one that I had was huge, but it has died quite a bit this year. But I also think that you can keep them a relatively decent size if you prune them down, that is if you don't have the space. And I hear the Rose of Sharon are the favorites. I like the ones with the double petals. They are all beautiful.

Yes....pruning is the key, especially for potted ones. Keeps them nice and bushy. So, in smaller pots, they easily get root bound and require heavy watering & fertilizer to bloom. If you don’t apply fertilizer, soon no blooms and only greens.

Ben, do you have a conservatory where you could grow one during winter months?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I want to start growing hibiscus but I’ve got no idea where to start, what type to get and how much space I’d need.

It will only grow as indoor plant here in the UK. It won’t survive our winters. You could try a a garden centre for sourcing one. Unfortunately, they will probably be grown with pesticides and fertilisers that are not good for your torts as they’re not grown for eating.

You would need to wash all the compost off the roots, repot it and grow it on for at least a year and even then the systemic pesticides may well still be in the new growth.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all. It’s not been aa good news week for my circle of friends and I visited two separately today.

The friend I had lunch with has been diagnosed with a tumour on her liver... they have yet to decide if it’s malignant. Other than that news, we had a good long chat and enjoyable lunch.

Last Friday, a friend I have known since I was a teenager had a cataract removed which was caused by the treatment she had following breast cancer. That has gone well.

Also last Friday, another friend had surgery for breast cancer. This is cancer that has recurred as she had the other breast removed ten years ago. She lives not far from the first friend so I popped in after lunch to see how she was doing.

She gave me news of a mutual friend who has had a horse riding accident. She was in the yard and a horse’s rein caught her ankle tipping her on the floor. She banged her head on the concrete and is in hospital following surgery on a fractured skull :(

I am feeling thankful to be healthy and offering prayers to the gods for my friends.

On a happier note, this cuckoo chick has been admitted to the wildlife rescue so hopefully, I will get to feed him on Friday [emoji7]

IMG_0278.jpg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
It will only grow as indoor plant here in the UK. It won’t survive our winters. You could try a a garden centre for sourcing one. Unfortunately, they will probably be grown with pesticides and fertilisers that are not good for your torts as they’re not grown for eating.

You would need to wash all the compost off the roots, repot it and grow it on for at least a year and even then the systemic pesticides may well still be in the new growth.
Would growing from a seed be to long and painful?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Would growing from a seed be to long and painful?
Hibiscus isn't the kind of thing you grow from seed. Hardy hibiscus is deciduous. It can be started from cuttings, so if you find an established one in somebody's garden, make friends! :D Once in the ground and established, it just goes dormant in the winter, survives the cold and rain, and grows new leaves and flowers in the spring.

Tropical hibiscus is evergreen. You would need to put it in a fairly large pot that can go outside during the warmer months, then bring it inside during the winter. Unless you have a conservatory, where it can reside all year.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hibiscus isn't the kind of thing you grow from seed. Hardy hibiscus is deciduous. It can be started from cuttings, so if you find an established one in somebody's garden, make friends! :D Once in the ground and established, it just goes dormant in the winter, survives the cold and rain, and grows new leaves and flowers in the spring.

Tropical hibiscus is evergreen. You would need to put it in a fairly large pot that can go outside during the warmer months, then bring it inside during the winter. Unless you have a conservatory, where it can reside all year.

Exactly... hardy vs tropical hibiscus.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternooning all. It’s not been aa good news week for my circle of friends and I visited two separately today.

The friend I had lunch with has been diagnosed with a tumour on her liver... they have yet to decide if it’s malignant. Other than that news, we had a good long chat and enjoyable lunch.

Last Friday, a friend I have known since I was a teenager had a cataract removed which was caused by the treatment she had following breast cancer. That has gone well.

Also last Friday, another friend had surgery for breast cancer. This is cancer that has recurred as she had the other breast removed ten years ago. She lives not far from the first friend so I popped in after lunch to see how she was doing.

She gave me news of a mutual friend who has had a horse riding accident. She was in the yard and a horse’s rein caught her ankle tipping her on the floor. She banged her head on the concrete and is in hospital following surgery on a fractured skull :(

I am feeling thankful to be healthy and offering prayers to the gods for my friends.

On a happier note, this cuckoo chick has been admitted to the wildlife rescue so hopefully, I will get to feed him on Friday [emoji7]

View attachment 276214
Wow. What terrible news for all your friends. But I hope you do get to feed the cuckoo chick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How tolerant is it of prolonged wet and cold?
My sister has many rose of sharon trees that she started several years ago from seeds
that were sent to her by tortoisenerd in Tennessee. Where she lives is wet and rainy most of the time with snow and ice during the winters. Her several-years-old trees now are about 15'tall and growing and blooming to beat the band.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

View attachment 276214

I may be scared to be friends with you !!!
Seriously, I hope for better news for all of you soon.

Adorable chicky!!!